Wiki Posts
Search

Opt Out Day

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Opt Out Day

What ever happened to this? It was done one year. This should be done every single major holiday. Only way to stop this is to slow the process down to a crawl. I think the last time they did this was 2010.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by LV702
What ever happened to this? It was done one year. This should be done every single major holiday. Only way to stop this is to slow the process down to a crawl. I think the last time they did this was 2010.
Every day is kids' day lesbian lovers day opt out day.

Mike

Last edited by mikeef; Dec 2, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The extortion known as PreCheck, and all who bought into it, pretty much killed any future Opt Out Day.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 2, 2014 at 11:36 am
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Yeah, I got my virtual T-shirt for that one. We called it NOOD.

No lines, TSA upped manning, turned off scanners in many places and ran a lot of people through WTMD. It was almost like universal Pre-Check, except it was still electronics out and shoes off.

I did have my fun. Since I had lots of time, I used my Nexus and got the full, "this is not valid" treatment, "web site out of date," "Is this an employer ID," I was accused of falsifying documents, escalated to the point that there were eight people working to disapprove my Nexus and one of those was on the phone to someone somewhere else. I kept to my script, "The Nexus is an acceptable ID according to your SOP." No matter the objection that was my response. Eventually they cleared my Nexus, and I got to get a good bag rape after the x-ray.

Ah, those were fun days.........

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 2, 2014 at 11:36 am
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Who needs opt-out day when you have MDW at Thanksgiving?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...rity-line.html
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
As I recall, a SAT TSO who posted frequently back then and only lurks now posted that someone approached her checkpoint TSOs and threatened to shoot any 'opt outs' who slowed him down by exercising their right to travel with their groins unmolested.

Surprisingly enough, she and her co-workers didn't summon LEs, they just chatted with the guy, agreed with him about folks who opt out, and let him go.

Who knew that you could make threats of violence against fellow pax at a checkpoint and TSA could tell the difference between a joke and a genuine cause for concern? Or would she and her co-workers have still been laughing as hard if the guy had approached them and threatened violence against anyone who tried to get up close and forceful with his 'junk'.

TSA HQ has always resented being forced to allow opt outs - even when it's perfectly clear that many of those unable to assume and hold the position in the NoS are unable to do so because they were injured serving our country and protecting our freedoms. Doubly ironic when you see TSOs spouting off about how much of the work force is ex-military. True vets who fought for our country coming home to get crotch-chopped by ex-2 year 'warriors' whose battleground is now crotches and butt cracks.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Duplicate

Last edited by mikeef; Dec 2, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mikeef
Every day is Opt Out day!

Mike
And if you say "My doctor told me to opt out" they can't even try to tell you you're wrong. (At least, they've never argued with me when I said that.)
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by sethb
And if you say "My doctor told me to opt out" they can't even try to tell you you're wrong. (At least, they've never argued with me when I said that.)
I'm going to have to start telling them my doctor told me opt out instead of saying I can't because of my insulin pump. The screeners seem to be experts on the insulin pumps lately and try to convince me that the scanners are safe. Until the manufacturer tells me they are safe, I'm not going through them. It irritates me when they try to be medical experts and also threaten me with a full body patdown.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Turned out to be proof that things which seem important to an infintesimal minority aren't to the 99.9999% of the traveling public.

It was also useless because it didn't really matter to the Officers themselves. They are paid to work a shift. If they process 1 person, 10 people or 1,000 people during an 8-hour shift, the Officer gets paid the same. The only person inconvenienced is the person trying to make a living who gets stuck in line (if the lines were stuck). That person becomes an opt-out hater not a TSA hater.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I guess my point is if 1000 people per checkpoint opted out, it would bring it down to a crawl.

Hell opt out of the baggage scan and insist that get a manual inspection as well.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Often1
Turned out to be proof that things which seem important to an infintesimal minority aren't to the 99.9999% of the traveling public.
Coincidentally, that seems to be about the same percentage of Americans that are mindless drones.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Often1
...That person becomes an opt-out hater not a TSA hater.
And what is that person now? Someone who is complicit in the ongoing erosion of civil rights.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Best is to always opt out. When I do and they look at my funny, I point to the scar from the brain tumor i had reviewed, honest! As I remind them, they don't know what will happen long term, just look at cigarettes, one time they were said to be a health aid. If they push more, I ask for name address and social secularity number, then when they report the equipment caused something I can find them to say I told you so and see the medical degree. I do it was a little laugh, but a serious one. No one says anything after that. Always wanted to know who I report the practicing medication with a license. Lol
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I just say "my doctor said to opt out". I never get any pushback that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.