Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Administrator John Pistole to retire from the agency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Administrator John Pistole to retire from the agency

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I doubt his replacement will be any worse or better than him, but I won't miss Pistole if he drops off the radar completely.

The ignoble individual Pistole has been completely fine with young minors -- even minor US citizens -- being blacklisted for no reason other than that the young minors are the child or other relative of some "suspect" adult.

What kind of person is comfortable with young children being harassed or treated as guilty by association for an "association" beyond the child's control -- an association that may not even be a continuing, non-biological physical "association"? It's these kind of unethical government activities which do encourage those in positions of (or with) governmental privilege to become whistleblowers and engage in extraordinary measures to keep their names out of the public eye when whistleblowing. [Hopefully, the privileged aren't foolish enough to trust the likes of the bigger US or UK corporate media names, media houses which routinely help the government bury whistleblowers wanting to whisteblow. ]
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff
Good bye, Pissant!
Yeah, say goodbye to him! John Pistole is an idiots. See ya later, Alligator!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
TSA head to take helm at Anderson University

Pistole's post-TSA plan is to run Anderson University in Indiana:

Indystar:

December 17, 2014

A short quote:

WASHINGTON – John Pistole is returning to Anderson University as a calling from God.

He has headed the Transportation Security Administration for 4 ½ years, after 26 years with the FBI.

But Pistole graduated from Anderson, a Christian college in Indiana, as did his wife and parents. He said the search committee and board sought someone with leadership skills and familiarity with the school and town when they were looking for a new president.
The school offers "Batchelor of Criminal Justice" and "Batchelor of Emergency Management Services - Homeland Security Operations & Administration" degrees. These are neither Batchelor of Arts nor Science degrees; instead, they are listed under the "Additional Degrees" section of the Anderson University Degrees page.

Anderson University also offers a Bachelor of Science Degree in "Pre-Engineering", which strikes me as very strange -- why bother getting a B.S. degree in order to enter another B.S. (undegrad) degree?
[Oops -- that's the wrong Anderson University!!!]

Last edited by RatherBeOnATrain; Dec 26, 2014 at 10:43 am Reason: Linked to the wrong Anderson University
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Anderson University also offers a Bachelor of Science Degree in "Pre-Engineering", which strikes me as very strange -- why bother getting a B.S. degree in order to enter another B.S. (undegrad) degree?
ABET accreditation is a lot of work to obtain for real schools; I can't imagine some place like this meeting the qualifications.

Last edited by Mad_Max_Esq; Dec 22, 2014 at 7:24 am Reason: poor word choice!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
ABET accreditation is a lot of work to obtain for real schools; I can't imagine some place like this meeting the qualifications.
I agree, though I wouldn't want to imply that Anderson University wasn't a "real" school. It's a school with a particular mission.

As an academic, I'm starting to see more attempts to market "blended" programs. A student begins at an institution without an engineering program --- say, a liberal arts institution like Williams College, or a religious-oriented institution like Anderson University --- and completes their general education requirements and science prerequisite courses there. The student then transfers to another institution and takes 2-3 years to complete their engineering education.

Some students will emerge with two bachelor's degrees, one from each institution. Others will emerge with a joint degree from both schools.

It's not a common educational mode, but it's not unheard of, either.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indystar:

December 17, 2014

A short quote:

The school offers "Batchelor of Criminal Justice" and "Batchelor of Emergency Management Services - Homeland Security Operations & Administration" degrees. These are neither Batchelor of Arts nor Science degrees; instead, they are listed under the "Additional Degrees" section of the Anderson University Degrees page.

Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
I hope the link to the catalog works. I looked up the requirements for "pre-engineering." You take your first three years at Pissy-U and then transfer to Clemson for your fourth year and anything else you need to do to get caught up. According to the catalog, it is a dual-degree program.

Having gone through engineering school in the 70s, I don't know why anyone would bother doing this. I remember beginning to specialize in my major (aero) in my second year. I don't see any specialized engineering courses at all during the three years

If I were advising an 18-year old, I would tell them to start out at a good 2-year community college and finish up the last two years at a good technical university if they didn't have the grades or financial resources necessary to get into a four-year degree program. An associates degree at a two-year school is a lot more useful than a three-year "BS in "Pre-engineering." It will cost you a lot less money and you won't take a lot of courses irrelevant to an engineering degree. They are nice, I suppose, from the "whole person" perspective, but, one's goal is to get the degree you desire while minimizing the debt you will take into your career.

I dug a little deeper. Most of the math courses were high school-level calculus (OK, maybe advanced placement HS calculus). There is only one differential equations course that you take at the end of your second year. It's the only DiffEq course offered. The physics courses didn't get to the freshman level until the third year. I didn't see any chemistry or materials sciences courses. I was well on my way in thermo and fluid mechanics in my third year, but there's none of that here. The rest of your three years is filled up with social sciences, biology (I think), and lots of electives.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I hope the link to the catalog works. I looked up the requirements for "pre-engineering." You take your first three years at Pissy-U and then transfer to Clemson for your fourth year and anything else you need to do to get caught up. According to the catalog, it is a dual-degree program.
That's strangely interesting -- I was aware of dual-degree programs, but those involved schools that were near one another. (A good friend has a degree in engineering from Messiah College, which just south of Harrisburg, PA -- she spent a few semesters at Temple University in Philadelphia.)

I am surprised that Anderson University's program (in Indiana) requires transferring to Clemson in South Carolina. I wonder why Anderson isn't partnering with one of the 14 ABET-accredited schools in Indiana?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:36 pm

I am surprised that Anderson University's program (in Indiana) requires transferring to Clemson in South Carolina. I wonder why Anderson isn't partnering with one of the 14 ABET-accredited schools in Indiana?
A partnership takes two willing parties. It's entirely possible that the other 14 Indiana schools aren't interested in a joint degree program --- they may prefer to simply recruit those students to spend their whole 4-5 years there rather than starting at Anderson.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That's strangely interesting -- I was aware of dual-degree programs, but those involved schools that were near one another. (A good friend has a degree in engineering from Messiah College, which just south of Harrisburg, PA -- she spent a few semesters at Temple University in Philadelphia.)

I've seen dual-degree programs that involved interstate or international relocation.

Speaking of pre-engineering, doesn't this kind of thing seems to come up most often for universities that have lots of students wishing to transfer out to a better university to have a better name on their resume, or perhaps for those studying engineering basics at colleges/universities that are thin on engineering profs?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Speaking of pre-engineering, doesn't this kind of thing seems to come up most often for universities that have lots of students wishing to transfer out to a better university to have a better name on their resume, or perhaps for those studying engineering basics at colleges/universities that are thin on engineering profs?
Just because a university has an engineering program doesn't inherently make it better --- it just makes it a university with a different mission.

The University of Georgia, for example, didn't have a College of Engineering from 1931-2012. All public universities in Georgia are overseen by a common governing board; in 1931, due to the US Great Depression, the governing board decided to consolidate all of the state's engineering programs at Georgia Tech. Certainly no-one would suggest that the University of Georgia was somehow an inferior university until two years ago.

In the general case, though ... ABET accredited engineering programs are awfully expensive to run --- and there's no point in not having an engineering program that isn't accredited by ABET. No university has unlimited funds to spend; some universities choose to spend those funds in different ways.

Again, I return to a statement I made above. Some folks might like to go to a school with a pre-engineering degree program (of whatever size) for a variety of reasons: location (closer to home, perhaps), family traditions, smaller class sizes, different university mission (e.g. a religious college or a HBCU). Doing so allows them to have that coveted experience for a few years before transferring to another institution for the degree of their choice.

Full disclosure: I'm a professor at a college with a large number of ABET-accredited engineering programs --- indeed, most of our degree programs are in STEM fields. We have a unique mission; other universities who aren't like us are simply different --- no better, no worse.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:

It's actually Anderson University in South Carolina.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It turns out that there are two Anderson Universities:

Anderson University (Anderson, Indiana) is affiliated with the Church of God.

while
Anderson University (Anderson, South Carolina) is affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Conference.

Pistole is headed to the one in Indiana. Upthread, I mistakenly linked to the one in South Carolina.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while
Anderson University (Anderson, South Carolina) is affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Conference.

Pistole is headed to the one in Indiana. Upthread, I mistakenly linked to the one in South Carolina.
The Anderson in SC is the one with pre-engineering and the degree in Homeland Security. Now, I'm confused as well. I'm visiting family and can't dig into it right now.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Closer Look at Anderson U in Indiana...

while

The Anderson in SC is the one with pre-engineering and the degree in Homeland Security. Now, I'm confused as well. I'm visiting family and can't dig into it right now.
Yep -- you're right. I had a chance to re-read some of the articles and it's Indiana.

'Guess Pissy won't be allowing any twerking:

ANDERSON UNIVERSITY
DANCE APPROVAL FORM

All groups who wish to hold a social dance on or off campus must receive approval. Before being approved this form must be completed and submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the date of the proposed dance. Failure to complete this form and submit it on time may result in the dance not being approved.

Please keep in mind:
Only Anderson University recognized groups may sponsor dances on campus.
Only one campus wide dance per week may be scheduled either on or off campus.

<snip>

Dance Policy
Social dancing and/or sponsorship of social dancing on or off university premises must be approved by the Student Government Association and requires the signature of the Assistant Dean of Students*. Whether an off or on campus dance, appropriateness is expected in the areas of dress, musical lyrics, and behavior as consistent with University values. An approved chaperone will be present at any dance on or off campus.

<snip>

A typed list of intended song titles and artists must be provided to SGA a minimum of one week prior to the date of the event. Songs with inappropriate words, messages or context will be noted and required to be removed from the intended music playlist prior to the dance.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:00 am

'Guess Pissy won't be allowing any twerking:[/URL]
He's going to be in his glory, being able to control both thoughts and actions, in this new position. Something tells me that the trustees of Anderson, by appointing Pissy president, were looking more for a way to raise money than improve their academic standards which are pretty poor according to Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/colleges/anderson-university/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.