NY Times survey on PreCheck experiences

Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:36 am
Original Poster

NY Times survey on PreCheck experiences

Here:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...form.html?_r=1
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The first question is, "Have you paid for T.S.A. PreCheck? *" That's really a poor way of asking as I get it from GE. But since I haven't paid for PreCheck I'll answer n...
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:58 am

The Transportation Security Administration responded in 2011 to longer lines at the nation's airports due to increased security checks by implementing a expedited screening process called PreCheck. The program allows individuals who have paid to undergo a background check to go through security without taking off their shoes or removing computers from their bags, among other things.

Critics of the program have complained that T.S.A. often allows those who have not signed up for PreCheck to access the expedited screenings, resulting in longer lines.
What about the people who are not in PreCheck but are experiencing longer lines due to the reallocation of resources to PreCheck?

This critic does not give a damn about PreCheck folks waiting longer because non-PreCheck folks are in their special lane. This critic would prefer to see checkpoint capacity maximized by (a) using pre-9/11 screening as the default for everybody and (b) allocating pax evenly across all open lanes.

I've not seen "Managed Inclusion" in action in several weeks. With the randomizers removed from FLL, I am beginning to wonder if "Managed Inclusion" is being phased out.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
This critic does not give a damn about PreCheck folks waiting longer because non-PreCheck folks are in their special lane. This critic would prefer to see checkpoint capacity maximized by (a) using pre-9/11 screening as the default for everybody and (b) allocating pax evenly across all open lanes.
I agree -- the PreCheck experience shuld be the standard experience.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:49 pm

I like Pre, and I really believe they should start pushing more people through Pre, except those people should also be cleared.

Recently went through HNL and found a non-Pre sized line in the Pre lane and when we reached the front I asked the TSA officer and she said they're "giving it away" to half the island. She acknowledged that most of these folks have probably never registered or heard of Pre in the first place.

What should have been a short experience with TSA ended up being just as long (though not as shoe/belt/liquids out annoying) as the regular lines.

If the TSA are going to do this crap, they should at least expand the systems to many more lines!!

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I agree -- the PreCheck experience should be the standard experience.
I agree!! They should drop the $50 fee and encourage every American to apply. Make it the norm. Break the rules once, and you're back in the old line(s), but change the ratio to 1 old line vs many Pre lines so people process through quicker.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spoddy

I agree!! They should drop the $50 fee and encourage every American to apply. Make it the norm. Break the rules once, and you're back in the old line(s), but change the ratio to 1 old line vs many Pre lines so people process through quicker.
Methinks you didn't understand Xyzzy, who is saying that everyone should be screened according to precheck standards without having to "apply" or lay out any sum of money.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Methinks you didn't understand Xyzzy, who is saying that everyone should be screened according to precheck standards without having to "apply" or lay out any sum of money.
That too.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold
I get it free more often than not by being a frequent flyer with United & Southwest and also having their credit cards. Always saves a lot of time and aggravation. I would not be opposed to having detailed background checks but agree there should be no cost to the flyer.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:11 pm

I "paid" through Global Entry. Please remember that Pre is about qualifying passengers in advance to identify those of us who are low risk. Extending the option to everyone defeats the purpose.

my experience has been good, mostly because of shoes and computers. (But Global Entry at IAD is even better - saved me perhaps 2 hours in my last overseas trip in July)
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA million miler
Do travelers pay for pre-check? I signed up on the UA web site awhile back and get pre-check on most UA flights, though recently some random flights did not.
And they do seem to also randomly give it to travelers who have not signed up and are not familiar with the procedure and speeding through the check point...resulting in many an eye roll among the road warriors in queue.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:29 pm

My name is too long to print on AA's boarding passes (their online system/booking accepts it fine), so I never get precheck. On the other hand, it works fine on US.

Wonder if I'll be very happy, or very unhappy, after the merger?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by klevin99
I "paid" through Global Entry. Please remember that Pre is about qualifying passengers in advance to identify those of us who are low risk. Extending the option to everyone defeats the purpose.
That's rubbish. Everyone IS low risk and should be treated accordingly, absent articulable clear, probable cause to the contrary.

Pre-check should be the norm. No application, no graft, no ID. If TSA won't change, then TSA should be ejected from all USA airports.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL-DM; Hertz 5 Star; Hilton Gold; Kayak hater.
I completely understand gripes with long lines at security. However, for those of us who travel for a living and are in airports every week and who's schedules are specifically padded to allow for delays etc. need a way to get through security as quickly as possible. I dread getting behind vacationers who pack everything but the kitchen sink, 3 strollers in hand with 14 kids trying to get through security. They had the "frequent" traveler line several years ago along with the family line. Where have those gone?

Snooty or not here is my .02 on the TSA, Pre-Check and Security all together. TSA is a joke. Each airport has their own rules. When I used to have customers in Kansas City it was the best. Privatized security with set rules in place and security took seconds compared to TSA run checkpoints. Every airport wants you to do specific things according to their polices. Some check your bags some don't. Some let you through with food frozen (at the time i was on a special diet) and others made me dump it before I could pass. I have to say though over the last 8 months I have seen some consistency between airports and I applaud the TSA for that. OH BTW...At DCA there is no known crew members area and they cannot cut in front of passengers. That was quite a site when this one FA went off on the Supervisor. Again lack of consistency.

Pre-Check was the greatest thing since sliced white bread. That was until every passenger over 60 was given it by the decision maker at the start of security. When you actually got pre-enrolled by your participating airline the system worked great. I travel to Canada about 7 times a year so I opted to enroll in the NEXUS program. This meant i was assigned a known traveler ID so i get TSA-Pre almost 100% now. Just today at BNA travelers who travel once or twice a year were taking off shoes, jackets, looking for bins etc. I had zero time to wait so I cut the line. I'm sorry I just don't have time for that stuff. Not to mention the lack of response when you decide that traveling cross country is enough radiation for one day and opt out of being scanned. Has anyone been scanned after using Pre-Check? Happened to me leaving JFK 2 weeks ago.

I agree that every passenger should be screened for whatever they screen for. But when you open up what was to be for "Known" travelers to the gen-pop you kludge a system that was designed to alleviate high volume traffic airports.

As far as security goes I never felt safer when guards with M-16's were standing at the end of security. I am all for this type of security but some people will call it a police state and get all weak in the knees. Again this just my opinion but this is what I do week in and week out. Do I want it to go back to Pre 9/11? Yes but I am not ok with that putting air travel at risk. Then again the world has changed and maybe air travel is no longer a high threat area anymore. We have to worry about people coughing on us now. More passengers showing up at airports with masks on.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I will be traveling soon to Chicago via Canada and have a pre-approved ESTA status issued by the UD Dept of Homeland Security. It was a form I filled in on-line when I made my booking with Air Canada and I had to give various details and pay $x for it. Is this what we are talking about here or is it something else entirely?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmam7
I will be traveling soon to Chicago via Canada and have a pre-approved ESTA status issued by the UD Dept of Homeland Security. It was a form I filled in on-line when I made my booking with Air Canada and I had to give various details and pay $x for it. Is this what we are talking about here or is it something else entirely?
It's smething else entirely. The $14 fee you pay for ESTA is used to market US tourism to the world and to pay for collection of the fee. It has nothing to do with the PreCheck program.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.