NY Times survey on PreCheck experiences

Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by klevin99
Spiff,

If everyone is low risk, how come TSA keeps finding things that are clearly not low risk? If everyone is low risk, why have security checks? I'll answer this one. There was a time when we did not have checks. unfortunately a fair number of planes were hijacked. Were the hijackers low risk?

And how would you suggest establishing "probable cause"?

Are you sure you thought your rant all the way through?
About 12 million passengers per week present themselves at the checkpoint. 40 or 50 have firearms which are detected, and about another 90 to 150 have firearms which are not detected (this is known because the TSA's failure rate at detecting firearms is 70%). So, an infinitesimal fraction of passengers bring guns, and most of the guns that are brought make it onto planes. Yet none of these guns are used to harm or threaten anyone.

There's a difference between "better checks than now" and "no checks". I figure that there is some level of screening that would improve security. The present level of screening presents a danger because it clogs the checkpoint, presenting a concentrated target for a potential attack. Übermenschen screening for everybody would probably be a reasonable solution if it were combined with an end to the "war on water"

I like to try to use descriptive terms when describing someone else's views. Calling something a "rant" tells us nothing about it - it only tells us how you feel about it.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
...The present level of screening presents a danger because it clogs the checkpoint, presenting a concentrated target for a potential attack...
Not only that, current procedures can create a level of chaos at the checkpoint that is surely not a secure state. At FLL last week, one TSA employee was trying to decide exactly who was part of one of several families that were eligible for the WTMD while simultaneously dealing with an opt-out (me), a passenger who could walk a short distance but needed her wheelchair screened, a parent who needed to have a stroller screened, and several inexperienced flyers who kept walking between the NOS and their bins because they kept forgetting they were carrying/wearing items that are supposed to be removed before going through the NOS. It was complete chaos. I think could've walked through the WTMD with one of the families and with my shoes on with no trouble. Meanwhile, the PreCheck lane was staffed with at least three TSA employees and hardly in use.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by klevin99
seems some of you were not around in the hijacking days, so you could not observe how quickly they declined once screening was in place.

And it's quite funny to see someone argue that we don't need screening because we haven't found terrorists, which in itself is not a verifiable statement. Ditto for claiming innocent intentions for "normal" people found with weapons. Little hint: A terrorist that looks like a terrorist is a failed terrorist. And to give a pass to all grannies is just plain reckless.

I'll step out of this discussion now, since there is nothing to be gained by discussion with zealots who know all the answers, such as a stranger's intentions. Wish I could mind read like that.
You Sir, do not get what any of us are saying.

Screening is good. It should not go away. Excessive screening the subject. The Pre program restores the norm before 9/11 and the security theatre, while maintaining that theatre for those who need to see and use it.

People caught with weapons in their carry-on are reckless but getting caught is good - it proves the system is working in that respect. Bringing a weapon to an airport is a universally known bad idea(tm), and for that they should be treated differently until that trust is restored. Who's to say they're not a terrorist acting dumb, hoping it got through?

Grannies comment was an example of how the TSA can and will continue to overreact.

I'll be sad (no I won't) that you won't be responding to this.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
And.... back to the topic of the thread, I wouldn't mind answering the survey, but I really have zero interest in giving out my name, city and state, and e-mail address - all of which are required fields. <shrug>
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:00 pm

I initially liked precheck because it took away the fear that I have had going through security at most airports during the past few years of having to opt-out of the NOS. However, with the new policy of random pre-check passengers being sent to the NOS, this fear is back again and in my opinion, has severely diluted the value of having precheck.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
We have fewer hijackings today. But most of that can be explained by two changes: (1) locking the door to the cockpit, and (2) changing the SOP that called for flight crews and passengers to unconditionally submit to a hijacking. Neither of those changes has anything to do with the changes in screening that have occurred over the last 20 years.
TSA has had ZERO impact on the reduction of aircraft hijackings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.