Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
U.S. officials announced plans for greater screening of passengers arriving from W Africa for Ebola on 11 October. On 22 October, more intense monitoring of such travelers was announced.

U.S. to Monitor Visitors from 3 West African Nations for 21 Days
New monitoring rules were put into place Wednesday for travelers from West African countries with Ebola outbreaks entering the United States.

Starting next Monday, such travelers will be required to report their body temperatures for three weeks on a daily basis in addition to any potential symptoms of the deadly virus....

<SNIP>
Print Wikipost

U.S. to Screen for Ebola at 5 Airports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tireman77
From the CDC:
Number of annual deaths for each disease
Heart disease: 596,577
Cancer: 576,691
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,932
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 126,438
Alzheimer's disease: 84,974
Diabetes: 73,831

Number of Ebola deaths: 1

Its good to see people's priorities are in the right places.....
Now I've been on the record for about 10 years at FT rallying against security nonsense, but as someone with a MD FACS spouse, I see the other side of this equation. The risk to Africa right now is over 1MM people dead - maybe more.

There is already concern in the medical community that the virus has mutated and can infect via the air in confined spaces without direct contact with a carrier's bodily fluids - I am not sure if this was reported in the news yet, but this news is making its way through the medical community, if not the general news. Another mutation could occur at any time - and better that mutation occur far away from North American soil.

The main risk here from the perspective of the medical community is allowing things to get out of hand due to mistakes. The guy who just died in Texas from Ebola had a broad contact matrix while infected - because the hospital made critical mistakes in diagnosing him. If these types of mistakes continue to occur on a frequent basis, all of a sudden we have a big problem - if not a significant number of infected or exposed people, then certainly a public panic.

While screening for Ebola upon arrival might seem silly, the checks are (as I understand it) restricted to passengers arriving from specific impacted regions, and the checks add another layer of protection which will help minimize the impact of clinical mistakes which are almost guaranteed to occur and lead to increased risk.

If this thing gets out of hand over here, the death toll might pale in comparison to influenza, but the public panic and government knee-jerk reactions will cause far more pain than the disease itself, and that is pain I'd rather avoid. If someone is stupid enough to travel to West Africa right now with this thing spreading like wildfire, a cursory check upon arrival here is reasonable.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I agree that more aggressive measures are needed, flight bans, etc, there is a risk for a major epidemic here, and even the US couldn't handle the one case they had. The flight bans should be comprehensive, including all flights originating from the infected countries and be initiated by the infected countries themselves. The west needs to pour millions of dollars into solving this problem aggressively, and very soon.

Last edited by nk15; Oct 9, 2014 at 5:37 am
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is such a joke, typical knee jerk response and security theatre while avoiding the real solution. CBP are not trained medical professionals, and even the MDs have misdiagnosed ebola victims. The only real solution is to quarantine these countries by suspending regular flight service and to quarantine anyone arriving from these countries. As others have noted, most do not arrive on nonstops but via European connections. So that is an awful lot of flights to check.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:23 am

From the CDC:
Number of annual deaths for each disease
Heart disease: 596,577
Cancer: 576,691
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,932
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 126,438
Alzheimer's disease: 84,974
Diabetes: 73,831

Number of Ebola deaths: 1

Its good to see people's priorities are in the right places.....
not sure that Heart Disease, cancer etc are infecious?

Also - running for your flight, will raise your temp - so will that make the scanners go off? Ebola has a 3(?) week incubation period, so no symptons before #false negative....?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Originally Posted by bocastephen
While screening for Ebola upon arrival might seem silly, the checks are (as I understand it) restricted to passengers arriving from specific impacted regions, and the checks add another layer of protection which will help minimize the impact of clinical mistakes which are almost guaranteed to occur and lead to increased risk.
In all honesty the screening is next to useless - considering the incubation period is currently being listed as 2-21 days - it's entirely possible that an infected person would not start showing any symptoms until weeks after being screened....

As others have stated, what is needed is money, trained personel & facilities in the affected regions to help combat the problem at it's source - I doubt the situation will be bought under control so long as treatment & quarantine centers are having to turn away patients due to lack of space.

Last edited by bugsy; Oct 9, 2014 at 5:37 am
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
This is such a joke, typical knee jerk response and security theatre while avoiding the real solution. CBP are not trained medical professionals, and even the MDs have misdiagnosed ebola victims. The only real solution is to quarantine these countries by suspending regular flight service and to quarantine anyone arriving from these countries. As others have noted, most do not arrive on nonstops but via European connections. So that is an awful lot of flights to check.
I can't recall the source, but either a White House or CDC Spokeshole admitted this was nothing more than security theater. He said the primary purpose of this screening was to "calm the public."
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
None arrive on nonstops because there are none. Broad quarantines aren't a solution, either. It would exacerbate the problem in the region, making it more likely that the countries in question would not be able to control the epidemic and it would destroy their economy. Setting aside the ethics of this type of quarantine, it won't work because people will get more desparate and will start crossing land borders, with or without permission. It's a lot harder to quarantine a country than a ship.

The right solution is to a) help these countries end the epidemic in their own countries, and b) to improve our own capabilities to isolate and treat victims quickly and educate and monitor those exposed. This solution also has the benefit of preventing not only this epidemic but helping to prevent the next one.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:09 am

There is already concern in the medical community that the virus has mutated and can infect via the air in confined spaces without direct contact with a carrier's bodily fluids - I am not sure if this was reported in the news yet, but this news is making its way through the medical community, if not the general news. Another mutation could occur at any time - and better that mutation occur far away from North American soil.

Believe it or not, doctors can be anti-scientific as well. News 'making its way' through the medical community is no more reliable than news making its way through other communities. Have epidemiologists (not surgeons) pointed to evidence in infection patterns which demonstrate this?

WHO data seem to suggest that transmission in this epidemic is no different than in past epidemics of Ebola. The problem is that since many of the victims are in cities and towns, it is harder to use isolation to control it, especially given that these countries have virtually no medical facilities.

The main risk here from the perspective of the medical community is allowing things to get out of hand due to mistakes. The guy who just died in Texas from Ebola had a broad contact matrix while infected - because the hospital made critical mistakes in diagnosing him. If these types of mistakes continue to occur on a frequent basis, all of a sudden we have a big problem - if not a significant number of infected or exposed people, then certainly a public panic.
This is true, which is why we need to put our money into improving our medical response when someone in the US shows up with symptoms of Ebola, or any other infectious disease.

Unfortunately, these screenings cost money and money is not unlimited. I would rather the money be used for something which will be more effective. These screenings will find lots of people with the flu, and probably not find anyone with Ebola.

If this thing gets out of hand over here, the death toll might pale in comparison to influenza, but the public panic and government knee-jerk reactions will cause far more pain than the disease itself, and that is pain I'd rather avoid. If someone is stupid enough to travel to West Africa right now with this thing spreading like wildfire, a cursory check upon arrival here is reasonable.
The likelihood of things getting out of hand over here are fortunately quite small. Countries such as Senegal and Nigeria have managed to stop outbreaks in their tracks. Do you really think the US medical system is so incapable that they will not be able to do the same? It is statements like "the death toll might pale in comparison to influenza" that create public panic and encourage knee-jerk reactions.

Should we mindful, yes. Should we spend money to strengthen our infrastructure to combat infectious disease, yes. Should we waste money on actions which even the government acknowledges are more to pacify the public than to actually combat the problem, no.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:14 am

DHS Has Not Effectively Managed Pandemic Personal Protective Equipment and Antiviral Medical Countermeasures
http://www.oig.dhs.gov/assets/Mgmt/2...-129_Aug14.pdf

'Nuf said.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:51 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by jabwtv
The only thing that will truly work is a travel ban from the affected countries
OK,

Would you propose then banning flights to coutures with Cholera? Yellow Fever? The Bubonic Plague? That would mean a travel ban to/from China, Peru and the United States...

The point is there are many highly communicable diseases word wide in many countries. Let's put this into perspective for a moment.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Ceridrial
not sure that Heart Disease, cancer etc are infecious?

Also - running for your flight, will raise your temp - so will that make the scanners go off? Ebola has a 3(?) week incubation period, so no symptons before #false negative....?
My point was that people panic about things, that when put into perspective, are not a major problem.

Yellow Fever causes 30,000 deaths a year. Anyone hear a peep about that recently?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:15 am

OK,

Would you propose then banning flights to coutures with Cholera? Yellow Fever? The Bubonic Plague? That would mean a travel ban to/from China, Peru and the United States...

The point is there are many highly communicable diseases word wide in many countries. Let's put this into perspective for a moment.
(bolding mine)

Coutures with cholera - ewww. Sorry, just had to acknowledge a moment of black humor with your (I presume) autocorrect error.

Back to the subject at hand, you make a great point. Where do we draw the line?

We are becoming irrational about Ebola because it has high mortality and because we are unfamiliar with it, but there are far more serious health concerns currently in the US which we blithely ignore every day.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
(bolding mine)

Coutures with cholera - ewww. Sorry, just had to acknowledge a moment of black humor with your (I presume) autocorrect error.

Back to the subject at hand, you make a great point. Where do we draw the line?

We are becoming irrational about Ebola because it has high mortality and because we are unfamiliar with it, but there are far more serious health concerns currently in the US which we blithely ignore every day.
Indeed. My less than proficient typing and autocorrect. Thanks for pointing it out.

There is a great deal of misinformation out there. And modern (pseudo) journalism isn't helping. I blame CNN et. al.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
OK,

I remember CO cancelling flights from Newark to Honkers when Bird Flue or Sars (CANT REMEMBER ) broke out.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I remember CO cancelling flights from Newark to Honkers when Bird Flue or Sars (CANT REMEMBER ) broke out.
Did that help stop the spread? I remember Toronto being a hotspot of SARS outbreaks. That's a city with hundreds of flights to US cities daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.