Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
U.S. officials announced plans for greater screening of passengers arriving from W Africa for Ebola on 11 October. On 22 October, more intense monitoring of such travelers was announced.

U.S. to Monitor Visitors from 3 West African Nations for 21 Days
New monitoring rules were put into place Wednesday for travelers from West African countries with Ebola outbreaks entering the United States.

Starting next Monday, such travelers will be required to report their body temperatures for three weeks on a daily basis in addition to any potential symptoms of the deadly virus....

<SNIP>
Print Wikipost

U.S. to Screen for Ebola at 5 Airports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Hooray! More security theatre!
From the article:

Arriving passengers will have their temperatures checked and be required to complete a questionnaire about recent travel.

I wonder where all the Customs dweebs got their medical degrees? I'll give them booze and cigarettes, but, medical diagnoses?

In addition to the temperature screenings, U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents have been trained to recognize some possible symptoms.

Just what we need -- more SPOTNiks. "You didn't throw up in front of Dean Wormer. You threw up ON Dean Wormer!"
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by CLTF
Why are they skipping IAH.....nations 4th largest city with a large west african population...AND direct daily flights to Lagos......
Maybe because the outbreak in Nigeria has been contained and there are no longer any direct flights from the affected countries to Lagos?

It may not be intuitive, but the two cities with one-stop connections to the affected countries are Brussels and Casablanca.

That said, I am not convinced that this effort will have very great effect. The likelihood of intercepting someone who has Ebola, is not too sick to travel, but sick enough to be identified, is pretty small.

Last edited by You want to go where?; Oct 8, 2014 at 2:07 pm
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
That said, I am not convinced that this effort will have very great effect. The likelihood of intercepting someone who has Ebola, is not too sick to travel, but sick enough to be identified, is pretty small.
Half the population between the ages of 13 and 50 (ish) have raised temperatures once a month...

...let the fun begin
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by alanR
Half the population between the ages of 13 and 50 (ish) have raised temperatures once a month...

...let the fun begin
I have no doubt that they will identify people with elevated temperatures. . .and probably cause some as well.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Possible second person
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/267378...signs-of-ebola
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:06 pm

I have no doubt that they will identify people with elevated temperatures. . .and probably cause some as well.
Bear in mind many of the 50% or so of the adult population with the elevated temperatures will also be somewhat crabby.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by john398
Signs and symptoms of Ebola

Fever
Severe headache
Joint and muscle aches
Chills
Weakness
Over time, symptoms become increasingly severe and may include:

Nausea and vomiting
Diarrhea (may be bloody)
Red eyes
Raised rash
Chest pain and cough
Stomach pain
Severe weight loss
Bleeding, usually from the eyes, and bruising (people near death may bleed from other orifices, such as ears, nose and rectum)
Internal bleeding

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20031241

Up until bleeding from the eyes it could be any of the several colds & similar that I have each year.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:27 pm

It may not be intuitive, but the two cities with one-stop connections to the affected countries are Brussels and Casablanca.
BRU (from ROB, CKY, & FNA), CMN (from ROB, CKY, & FNA), and CDG (from CKY only) have nonstop flights to the affected countries -- no connections are required. Additionally, there is non-stop service from DKR; however, no local traffic is permitted.

Originally Posted by john398
I am surprised only 5, Dallas now has direct flights as well
Neither DFW nor DAL have direct flights, let alone nonstop flights, to any of the affected countries.

Last edited by Indelaware; Oct 8, 2014 at 4:26 pm
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by happymom2008
Has anyone thought of the close contact at the Hajj in Saudi Arabia? I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but how the hell is the US and other countries going to stop anyone who may have been exposed to Ebola, not showing symptoms from entering? Statistical and political nightmare.
NO. But there again I have a dislike for making alarmist posts that have no basis in fact other than my own prejudice.

Perhaps we should make sure St Peters Square is placed on lockdown when you inject some factual information.

About two-fifths of Liberians are Christian, about one-fifth are Muslim, and roughly two-fifths profess other religions, primarily traditional beliefs. The largest number of Christians are the Kpelle, followed by the Bassa. Some Liberians who identify themselves primarily as Christian incorporate traditional beliefs into their personal theologies.

Nothing other than nonsense nightmare.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Maybe because the outbreak in Nigeria has been contained and there are no longer any direct flights from the affected countries to Lagos?

Just another example of the government responding with the illusion of security. As noted above, our recently deceased victim came through Brussels, not on a direct flight.

So now we have inbound health security kabuki theater to match outbound terrorism security kabuki theater.

Wonderful.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
Just another example of the government responding with the illusion of security. As noted above, our recently deceased victim came through Brussels, not on a direct flight.

So now we have inbound health security kabuki theater to match outbound terrorism security kabuki theater.

Wonderful.
Security is always a relative thing. Yes, we would all be more secure if everyone -- including everyone living 30 miles south of IAD -- was in lock down. Indeed, we might even stop the spread of the common cold -- but governing is about making reasonable allocations of limited resources.

Last edited by Indelaware; Oct 8, 2014 at 4:24 pm
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:43 pm

The only thing that will truly work is a travel ban from the affected countries
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:51 pm

There is an upside to this - TSA groping EBOLA patients could have a positive outcome
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by jabwtv
The only thing that will truly work is a travel ban from the affected countries
Except that it would be a disaster, further plunging the region into economic and potential political instability - things certain to backfire on those imposing such a harsh -- and illegal -- action.

Article 13, Universal Declaration of Human Rights: "Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his (soc) own, and to return to his (sic) country."

Article 12, International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights: "Everyone shall be free to leave any country, including his (sic) own."
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Hooray! More security theatre!
Reinforcement to ensure the rate of false positives increases over time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.