Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

They Did It Again -- TSA desecrated His Mom's Ashes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahohmei
If I ever find myself in a position where I have to transport human remains somewhere, I will do it one of two ways:

1- No flying. Drive, bus, Amtrak, or somewhere where there's no TSA and I retain custody.
2- Mail with tracking and insurance. I recently sent a Priority Mail box and a Parcel Post box full of personal items from CA to FL to avoid flying with them [not ashes], and they arrived on time and fully intact.
Since I want my ashes scattered at my favorite dive sites in the IndoPacific, and I doubt my son wants to spend weeks on a boat getting there, I don't know how flying could be avoided.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by manneca
Since I want my ashes scattered at my favorite dive sites in the IndoPacific, and I doubt my son wants to spend weeks on a boat getting there, I don't know how flying could be avoided.
Could your loved ones UPS or FDX them to a hotel in the area?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Because some people are not as savvy or frequent of travelers as others and would think that something like this incident could happen. Also it notes that the urn was heavy perhaps that in itself was reason enough.
As much as I loathe the TSA, passengers have to understand they shouldn't check valuable items. Now, the TSA did a poor job handling the ashes, yes, but why would you ever check something like that?

FedEx and UPS have lost, delayed, or damaged enough of my packages I carry on any real valuables I need when traveling; shipping them ahead wouldn't be a good option IMHO.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I ever find myself in a position where I have to transport human remains somewhere, I will do it one of two ways:

1- No flying. Drive, bus, Amtrak, or somewhere where there's no TSA and I retain custody.
2- Mail with tracking and insurance. I recently sent a Priority Mail box and a Parcel Post box full of personal items from CA to FL to avoid flying with them [not ashes], and they arrived on time and fully intact.
My wife wants her ashes scattered at a location on the far side of the big ocean from us. Flying is the only realistic way to do it.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by exerda
As much as I loathe the TSA, passengers have to understand they shouldn't check valuable items. Now, the TSA did a poor job handling the ashes, yes, but why would you ever check something like that?
Devil's advocate: why wouldn't you check something like that?

Do you really want to be walking through the checkpoint with Uncle Phil in a cardboard box under your arm? Do you really want to go through the embarrassment of explaining to multiple people, in public, that this box of ashes isn't some sort of organic drug but Uncle Phil's ashes --- especially while you're still grieving? Given the media reports we've seen of human ashes that have been desecrated at a checkpoint, why would you think that your experience would be any better?

Yes, yes, yes, those of us who read forums like this know better. But for the general public that doesn't obsess over the minutia of TSA policies, it's far less obvious a decision.

TSA says not to put anything valuable in checked luggage. TSA says not to put anything that looks dangerous in carry-on luggage. When you have something that is valuable and looks dangerous, like an urn of human remains, TSA's advice is contradictory, leading to the problems we've seen.

Yet another instance of the War on the Unexpected.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
OK, I'll play devil's advocate, too.

An individual may be an infrequent flyer who has heard crazy checkpoint stories. Pax doesn't want problems at the checkpoint. Pax may even vaguely remember that at least one other passenger has had a TSO mishandle ashes at the checkpoint.

Pax decides that the ashes are priceless to him, worthless to anyone else. He'll check them - even if someone rifles his bag, they're not going to steal an urn full of ashes.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Checking ashes just introduces the risk of not only TSA examining it, it also means an opportunity for the airline to lose it.

Should not have checked.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Not if you tell the truth about what's inside.

USPS is the most accessible service to use, and they have some conditions specific to cremains.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by edweird
USPS is the most accessible service to use, and they have some conditions specific to cremains.
On the other hand, the conditions (http://about.usps.com/publications/pub139.pdf) appear to be not too onerous: ship only via Priority Mail Express, use a specific USPS label noting that the contents are cremated remains, pack the container containing the remains inside a larger shipping container, and use lots of padding and double-bagging.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
WSB-TV: Man says TSA agent dumped out father's ashes at Orlando (MCO)

A story from Atlanta television station WSB-TV, Channel 2, about an incident in Orlando:
ATLANTA - A local man blames a TSA agent for spilling his father's ashes from an amulet he wore around his neck.

Troy Bland gave Channel 2’s Liz Artz pages and pages of correspondence he's had with the TSA over the incident.
and
Artz contacted TSA officials who told her that the incident has been reviewed twice and they've concluded the agent did not spill ashes.

They would not release the video of the incident publicly, but allowed Artz to watch it via Facetime.

Artz said the video was grainy and difficult to see. Artz said she could make out the agent holding an object, but could not tell if ashes or anything else came out of the vial.
Link to the full story: WSB-TV: Man says TSA agent dumped out father's ashes (May 31, 2017 - 6:44 PM)
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:35 am

Cremains removed from checked baggage

This time TSA removed a woman's ashes from her daughter's checked baggage:

@TSA came home to find that my luggage had been tossed & several things missing, including my mother's ashes.
@TSA can you share with me my mother's final resting place?
@TSA @SouthwestAir @flyLAXairport please share with me the final resting place of my mothers ashes.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know there are legal penalties for desecration of a corpse. Are there any similar laws that protect cremains?

TSA has a long history of mishandling cremains and nothing seems to change from year to year. I would think that legal penalties against TSA in general and TSA screeners in individually should be the order of the day.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I did a search through a legal database and of the 75 returned laws 51 had to do with the State of New Jersey which is rather disturbing it unto itself. But it seems that generally cremated remains are not covered by desecration laws.

This may be a bit cynical but since when has anything the TSA mishandled year after year has been changed? Even with lawsuits. They simply do not care of hide behind bureaucracy, SSI claims or some babble about being on the front line of securing the nation from terrorists.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I know there are legal penalties for desecration of a corpse. Are there any similar laws that protect cremains?

TSA has a long history of mishandling cremains and nothing seems to change from year to year. I would think that legal penalties against TSA in general and TSA screeners in individually should be the order of the day.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Insert usual "it could've been the airline's baggage handlers, there's no evidence that TSA employees did it" excuse (and follow-up ranting) here.

In short, in order to penalize someone, you'd have to have someone specific to charge.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I did a search through a legal database and of the 75 returned laws 51 had to do with the State of New Jersey which is rather disturbing it unto itself. But it seems that generally cremated remains are not covered by desecration laws.

This may be a bit cynical but since when has anything the TSA mishandled year after year has been changed? Even with lawsuits. They simply do not care of hide behind bureaucracy, SSI claims or some babble about being on the front line of securing the nation from terrorists.
I'm sure TSA would be happy to show video of that bag screening and that the screeners did nothing inappropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.