Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New, "More Secure" US NextGen Passport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:49 am

I know, but come on - I'm sure they share some ideas, or take their cues from some common source. This new design follows the similar design of the current US passport, and it's entirely possible that this sort of uber-patriotic theme will be carried through to the new passport, give then current political climate especially, and the tendency for Americans to design gaudy official documents.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:31 pm

Hi all! With perhaps a bit too much obsession on this topic, I've tried to find as much relevant information as possible on the release date of this new passport. The conclusion is basically what we know (maybe later this year, maybe not), but here's what I could dig up in terms of relatively recent news:

Gov printing office (which produces the passports) claiming they are "...poised to begin production of the next generation U.S. passport" and "Continued installation of equipment and systems to begin production of the next generation U.S. passport later this year": https://www.gpo.gov/pdfs/congression...02.06.2017.pdf

For what it's worth, older reports from 2015 and 2016 don't mention imminent new passport release and production.

State Dept. reply with a vague "We're working on it" in March:

Last edited by aonru; May 18, 2017 at 8:55 am
Old May 28, 2017, 7:48 am

The State Department expects to issue its first NextGen passport in “early 2018,” two years later than planned.

https://www.voyagereport.com/news/pa...-double-staff/
Old May 28, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Södermalm
The State Department expects to issue its first NextGen passport in “early 2018,” two years later than planned.

https://www.voyagereport.com/news/pa...-double-staff/
it's the government.... if they complete new project on-time, then you have something to worry about...
Old May 29, 2017, 1:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given the turmoil at the State Department and what the leadership of it (straight from the Secretary and POTUS) wants to do to it (read: gut it by a substantial percentage), delays in this area aren't a surprise. What ought to be even less of a surprise is when the passport fees get hiked up too. If the government wants to pour more money into this and also hike up the various fees sooner than later, then this could be done sooner than later. But seriously, this change isn't even all that necessary except in a world where governments are run by and appeal to the paranoid who can't keep risks in perspective.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by WalterSFO
it's the government.... if they complete new project on-time, then you have something to worry about...
I wonder if the rollout of the current biometric passport a decade ago was delayed as well? Mine expires in 2 years, so I am definitely going to wait it out and apply closer to it's expiration date. My only worry is that I may have to carry it with me on domestic flights if Oregon fails to implement two-tier driver license system by 2018.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by König
I wonder if the rollout of the current biometric passport a decade ago was delayed as well? Mine expires in 2 years, so I am definitely going to wait it out and apply closer to it's expiration date. My only worry is that I may have to carry it with me on domestic flights if Oregon fails to implement two-tier driver license system by 2018.
I don't know when the current version of US passport rolled out. However, when I got it in early 2008, I received two with vert crooked eagle and the word "Passport" on the covers. They replaced them free of charge and the third one was okay.(still a little bit crooked, but can only be noticed by a*al people like me)
Old May 29, 2017, 10:17 pm

I received two with vert crooked eagle and the word "Passport" on the covers. They replaced them free of charge and the third one was okay.(still a little bit crooked, but can only be noticed by a*al people like me)
Haha, the text on the bio page in my and my wife's passports was extremely crooked, and especially it was very noticeable in MRZ. It was so crooked that I started to worry it couldn't be properly scanned when I go abroad. However, it was OK. Also, the vertical lines of the letters did not have the same width/thickness... Maybe, it was all on purpose to make the passport more secure? The quality was so crappy that indeed it would be hard for forgers to replicate
Old May 30, 2017, 2:06 am

The bio page is indeed really poorly done, especially the photo. The colors are such <deleted>, and I'm essentially a blurred blob. The photo is also crooked, but hasn't been a problem.

I thought about the color saturation, and yes, it could be that it's a security feature hehe.

König: get a passport card if your DL doesn't meet federal standards.

Last edited by TWA884; May 30, 2017 at 8:28 am Reason: FT Rule 16: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed
Old May 30, 2017, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
König: get a passport card if your DL doesn't meet federal standards.
I got the card and the book at the same time in 2009. I used the card as an ID for daily use, and after 7 years of "heavy" use, the plastic cover on the back side partially detached, so it is unusable now. I decided not to bother renewing it now because I am waiting for the new passport to come out.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:08 am

Sure, I get it. What I mean is, if you don't want to get the old book when it turns out you need federal ID, just get the card for the $30 it costs. It's a small compromise.

Don't get one now unnecessarily. BTW, have you tried getting it replaced free of charge? Passport books can fall apart but cards? Must be a manufacturing defect. Worth a try at a passport office, right?
Old May 31, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
Sure, I get it. What I mean is, if you don't want to get the old book when it turns out you need federal ID, just get the card for the $30 it costs. It's a small compromise.

Don't get one now unnecessarily. BTW, have you tried getting it replaced free of charge? Passport books can fall apart but cards? Must be a manufacturing defect. Worth a try at a passport office, right?
I asked nicely and the US Passport Agency had no problem replacing my US passport when the RFID chip went bad. (couldn't be read by any border agent) I only had to pay the postage($1 or something) to mail it to them... I was told to include a note on why I needed a free replacement after just 6 years. Less than 2 weeks later, I got a free replacement passport. Didn't even have to pay for a new passport photo because I found out my AAA membership includes 4 sets of free passports per year.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:21 pm

I asked nicely and the US Passport Agency had no problem replacing my US passport when the RFID chip went bad. (couldn't be read by any border agent) I only had to pay the postage($1 or something) to mail it to them... I was told to include a note on why I needed a free replacement after just 6 years. Less than 2 weeks later, I got a free replacement passport.
Nice to know you were able to get it replaced free of charge. Did the replacement have the same expiration date or was it valid for another 10 years?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by König
Nice to know you were able to get it replaced free of charge. Did the replacement have the same expiration date or was it valid for another 10 years?
wow! I didn't even think about that until now. I just looked and they gave me a new passport with another 10 years! So I basically got 6 years for free! I assume it only happened because the RFID chip went kaput.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:30 pm

wow! I didn't even think about that until now. I just looked and they gave me a new passport with another 10 years! So I basically got 6 years for free! I assume it only happened because the RFID chip went kaput.
Lucky you I wouldn't mind getting a free replacement with a new expiration date (that would get me 8 years for free). Maybe, I should give them a call right now... I just hope I won't have to send my passport book as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.