Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New, "More Secure" US NextGen Passport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by cafeconleche
The Canadians are pretty much the only ones who've mimicked the US with the most zeal...
Yes - but at least they had sme fun with it. The pages all have great additional imagery when under black light. For example:
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:49 am

Can't deny that. The Norwegians also have big plans: http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...assport-design
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Bring back the green Ben Franklin passport ;-)
No, please don't. I had one of those (renewed the year they were issuing them). Got funny looks for years from immigration officers around the world, whose immediate reaction was "US passports are blue (or brown, or black, in some cases), what's this green thing?"
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
No, please don't. I had one of those (renewed the year they were issuing them). Got funny looks for years from immigration officers around the world, whose immediate reaction was "US passports are blue (or brown, or black, in some cases), what's this green thing?"
I saw the same reaction whenever redesigned passports were just issued and started to be used; sometimes even years after a redesign I saw much the same reaction at some foreign ports of entry. Also, I can't count how many times my additional passport page inserts were also viewed with skepticism, skepticism which increased with each passport page redesign.

Personally, I don't fancy US passport redesigns as each one has done little more for me than increased the chances for a future passport fee hike that provides me nothing more in return.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have entered the Schengen Zone a large number of times without my US passport being stamped. Some EU passport control checkpoints even refuse to stamp my US passports, and others don't stamp it unless asked (and I don't ask usually). Some Schengen passport control staff stamp my US passports without even checking out the biodata info in my passport -- as happened to me again when entering Schengen a few days ago in a country with a Germanic language as the only official language.
In the course of hundreds of entries/exits to Schengen ever since it was first implemented I don't think I have ever not been stamped. It's true, of course, that you no longer get stamped at internal Scengen borders, e.g., I have old passports with dozens of stamps from leaving Poland and going to Sweden and v.v, and now of course there is no passport control between those countries, but it is always stamped at the first point of entry and last, e.g., yesterday I flew into FRA and got an entry stamp, then flew to VIE where I boarded a flight to EVN and got an exit stamp. The Austrian immigration official barely glanced at my passport, but he did stamp it.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
as happened to me again when entering Schengen a few days ago in a country with a Germanic language as the only official language.
By my count, that's six countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Liechtenstein, and Iceland), although one of them (Liechtenstein) isn't reachable directly from outside the Schengen Zone (unless you have a helicopter with some pretty amazing range or a Harrier).
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Yes - but at least they had sme fun with it. The pages all have great additional imagery when under black light. For example:
That almost makes me wish I were Canadian.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:11 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Blogndog
In the course of hundreds of entries/exits to Schengen ever since it was first implemented I don't think I have ever not been stamped. It's true, of course, that you no longer get stamped at internal Scengen borders, e.g., I have old passports with dozens of stamps from leaving Poland and going to Sweden and v.v, and now of course there is no passport control between those countries, but it is always stamped at the first point of entry and last, e.g., yesterday I flew into FRA and got an entry stamp, then flew to VIE where I boarded a flight to EVN and got an exit stamp. The Austrian immigration official barely glanced at my passport, but he did stamp it.
You must not fly into Italy or Spain much, no? Italy is/was notorious for not stamping, especially American passports. Pisses of the German's when they are obsessing over exit stamps.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

By my count, that's six countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Liechtenstein, and Iceland), although one of them (Liechtenstein) isn't reachable directly from outside the Schengen Zone (unless you have a helicopter with some pretty amazing range or a Harrier).
I made a mistake in that post, but that time it was indeed one of those airport-possessing Schengen countries which stamped my US passport without looking at the biodata info in it passport.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 29, 2015 at 2:26 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:44 am

You must not fly into Italy or Spain much, no? Italy is/was notorious for not stamping, especially American passports. Pisses of the German's when they are obsessing over exit stamps.
About five years ago, on landing at MXP, I handed my passport over to the immigration guy, and he just pushed it back. Didn't even open it.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:16 am

About five years ago, on landing at MXP, I handed my passport over to the immigration guy, and he just pushed it back. Didn't even open it.
Hmm, what it must be like to be white...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
Hmm, what it must be like to be white...
At MXP, I've seen the same thing happen to US passport holders of South and/or East Asian backgrounds where the US passports were sometimes not opened at all. Then again, I've also seen them open passports for stamping way more often without even looking at the biodata page.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 30, 2015 at 8:35 am
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Few years ago, in MXP too, they just waved anyone with a American or Canadian passport right through when i got off the flight. Didn't even bother to open the data page, just looked at the cover of the passport.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Here's a Finnish page, with the bear. Each opening has a different animal

Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:42 am

Last rime i was in spain, there was no Schengen, and I definity got stamped. Italy I have travelled to recently and also got stamped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.