New, "More Secure" US NextGen Passport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AllieKat
You can easily read the chip yourself to verify it is working, the eMRTD standard including how to decrypt BAC is public knowledge. In the UK you can also stop by the Passport Office and they will verify that your chip works and let you see the data stored on it and how it works.
Most people won't do that. Only a very small fringe minority. And is the UK Passport Office so willing to do so for users of just US passports?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AllieKat
You can easily read the chip yourself to verify it is working, the eMRTD standard including how to decrypt BAC is public knowledge. In the UK you can also stop by the Passport Office and they will verify that your chip works and let you see the data stored on it and how it works.
I don't disagree but my point is probably 90%+ of the passport carrying population gives this absolutely no thought. It's not that it can't be checked it's more the thought that it even ought to be checked. Barring mass chip failures and travelers delayed or turned back because of it it's not an issue. This is a great site and you can learn a lot here but like many other special interest sites or blogs it's not exactly widely known to the "run of the mill" traveler.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most people won't do that. Only a very small fringe minority. And is the UK Passport Office so willing to do so for users of just US passports?
No, per their site the stations are setup to only allow UK passports to read (it's a self-service affair). I've never tried them myself, but I guess they block them to UK passports (why would I try them? Your passport can easily be read with most modern phones except the iPhone).
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
I think it was late 2006 when new US passports went out with the first generation chips so that means non-chipped passports will be around until late 2016 and maybe early 2017 and are certainly valid.
Mine is a non-chip Passport, and it expires May 2017. My previous passport had the unlucky situation of expiring in 2007. 2007 was the "right before the deadline" year for needing a passport to cross the US border, even by land, so tons of people applied for passports that year, causing newsworthy-long delays in passport processing.

So there are still a very large number of non-RFID passports in circulation.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Does US passport still have 52 page? My US passport will be expiration on Nov. 2017. Should I have renewal again?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:21 pm

Yes, passport still come 28 or 52 pages. You can request 52 pages, but if the passport agency see you have not travel much they will not give it to you.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rosario Zabala
Yes, passport still come 28 or 52 pages. You can request 52 pages, but if the passport agency see you have not travel much they will not give it to you.
The 52 page passport seems to me to be given to most of those who request it; but that said perhaps it's a product of my mostly seeing passports coming back from applications with a non-US address.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Rosario Zabala
Never understood why it is up to the State to decide how many pages you want. So what if you want more? What if you just got a new job abroad and will anticipate a lot of travel? If they bother to mark the 52 page option, just give it to them
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2015/3/...are+Going+Away has some interesting publicly-disseminated info from State about the page issue, including indication of how security worries have driven the change.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 31, 2015 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Does anyone have an idea when the new passports might be seeing the light f day? All I've seen so far was "In 2016." I need either extra pages or a renewed passport within the next 9-12 months...
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Does anyone have an idea when the new passports might be seeing the light f day? All I've seen so far was "In 2016." I need either extra pages or a renewed passport within the next 9-12 months...
If your passport was issued before October 2014 and you want extra pages inserted, the extra pages thing should be done sooner than later. The remaining page insert stock is limited, as is the use of that remaining insert stock; and once the remaining stock runs out, if not well before, the chances to get the inserts for even the current type of passport (issued pre-October 2014 and currently) will be further restricted so as to entirely remove the choice of "extra pages or a renewed passport".

The new passport type won't be seeing the light of day until sometime in 2016, and the switch date is not yet close to being final. But renewing your passport now may not be a solution even if wanting additional page inserts -- I'm saying this because US passports issued since the fall of 2014 are no longer generally entitled to have additional page inserts.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If your passport was issued before October 2014 and you want extra pages inserted, the extra pages thing should be done sooner than later. The remaining page insert stock is limited, as is the use of that remaining insert stock; and once the remaining stock runs out, if not well before, the chances to get the inserts for even the current type of passport (issued pre-October 2014 and currently) will be further restricted so as to entirely remove the choice of "extra pages or a renewed passport".

The new passport type won't be seeing the light of day until sometime in 2016, and the switch date is not yet close to being final. But renewing your passport now may not be a solution even if wanting additional page inserts -- I'm saying this because US passports issued since the fall of 2014 are no longer generally entitled to have additional page inserts.
sure hope the next gen passport comes out before April 2016.(that's when my current passport expires)
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:28 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by AppleApe
sure hope the next gen passport comes out before April 2016.(that's when my current passport expires)
It's best to always have at least six month validity on your passport. So to play it safe you may just have to settle with the current design.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
It's best to always have at least six month validity on your passport. So to play it safe you may just have to settle with the current design.
I have multiple nationalities.(US + EU + other)

It's no biggie if my US passport book expires. My US
passport card doesn't expire for a few more years.
I can also travel on my other two non-US passports.
To return to the US, I can just fly to Vancouver and
drive back to Seattle(or take the train), which only
requires a US passport card.

I just want to make sure that I receive the next-gen
US passport in 2016.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
As to pages, I do have the 52-page version (I do a lot of travelling), but with GE for the USA and SES for Korea, I am finding I am using fewer pages with the only problem of needing pages are with countries which issue full-page visas (China, Thailand, Sri Lanka, etc.). For China, thank goodness, I just got the 10-year visa so I don't need one each year.

Does anyone know (or guess) what the fee for the enhanced U.S. passport will be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.