Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight delayed by ISIS scare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Terrorism is meant to mess with the head, but it takes a messed-up person to get so paranoid about terrorists when the risk of being killed or injured by a nut job terrorist is borderline non-existent. An unarmed person being injured or killed by the police is far more likely to happen than being injured or killed by a terrorist. And yet the police signs don't freak out all the same people freaked out by ISIS logo.
But you refer to educated sentient individuals. The TSA droids get a pep talk about the enemy and the involved objectives.

So getting onto their radar with ISIS shows that they exhibit some sort of thinking process.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:46 am

What would the authorities in a German airport do if a person showed up for their flight wearing a t-shirt with an image of Hitler and a Nazi swastika?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Slickw
What would the authorities in a German airport do if a person showed up for their flight wearing a t-shirt with an image of Hitler and a Nazi swastika?
Not a fair comparison at all.

Hitler and the Nazis were evil. AND Nazi/Hitler memorializing in Germany is a crime.

Isis isn't necessarily a bad group, as evidenced above by the number of different groups/organizations/companies/etc. that are called Isis and have nothing to do with terror.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
You also forgot about ISIS:

Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Slickw
They'd be mightily upset given that promoting Hitler and Nazism is a crime in Germany. But you aren't comparing apples with apples - for example would a company launch a Hitler range of lingerie? A company in the UK produced a range of ISIS lingerie but I hope you aren't suggesting they were promoting terrorism (then again you might be the person who panicked and allowed me to creat this OP...)

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Isis is also a great microbrewery in Israel.
ISIS is NOT a terror-organization (anymore). They re-branded quite some time ago as "IS"
The Terrorism Group Formerly Known as ISIS?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by alanR
They'd be mightily upset given that promoting Hitler and Nazism is a crime in Germany. But you aren't comparing apples with apples - for example would a company launch a Hitler range of lingerie? A company in the UK produced a range of ISIS lingerie but I hope you aren't suggesting they were promoting terrorism (then again you might be the person who panicked and allowed me to creat this OP...)
^

The Terrorism Group Formerly Known as ISIS?
But I don't think they're the ones making delicious beer
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
What about those signs the street vendors have up all over NY in the summer

ITALIAN ISIS........or is it Italian ICES?? sounds the same to me
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
What about those signs the street vendors have up all over NY in the summer

ITALIAN ISIS........or is it Italian ICES?? sounds the same to me
Tourist / Terrorist - sound the same, therefore they are the same.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
You also forgot about ISIS:

I really do own this tshirt. I have been "discouraged" from wearing it in public.

http://i.imgur.com/s58LA1g.jpg
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Subway delays in NYC and Paris next? The Iraqi government which wants more US and French military attacks against ISIS in Iraq and Syria have conveniently come across "credible intelligence" that ISIS is planning NYC and Paris subway attacks.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:08 pm
Suspended

...because you know "non-state" actors would never carry out an attack on a subway. Oh wait

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_...ondon_bombings
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ou81two
...because you know "non-state" actors would never carry out an attack on a subway. Oh wait

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_...ondon_bombings
Do you think that is news to me? It isn't. I have posted about that incident on FT and how intelligence and security forces bungled things in the lead up to those incidents and just after it too.

Apparently I may have been too subtle in trying to make my point: parties play up "threats" for their own self-dealing purposes.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
..have conveniently come across "credible intelligence" that ISIS is planning NYC and Paris subway attacks.
The NYC subway is terror proof! I can't image it looking much different after a blast than it does now.

That is unless the 'terrorists' plan to embrace a surreptitious clean and plaint job overnight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.