Two questions: Name Game & Baggies

Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Two questions: Name Game & Baggies

Ross has said the name game has ended. Are you finding that to be true?

Are most still leaving their Freedom Bags inside their carry-ons or are you taking them out? I get the sense that those who have PreCheck are removing them, perhaps out of fear of being summarily dismissed from PreCheck if you don't abide by the baggie rule.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
In as much as we've never been asked to play the "name game" and are flying frequently right now and still not getting asked to say our names I guess the answer is it's true. We both have PreCheck now and neither of us take anything out of our carry-ons. Really haven't paid much attention to what others are doing but off the top of my head I don't recall people taking stuff out. As they've cut back a bit on the random selection it seems to me there are more and more seasoned travelers using PreCheck and it goes pretty fast locally without a lot of coaching by TSA.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:15 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by petaluma1
My last episode of "name game" was a few months ago at DTW. But it's definitely occurred much less often over the past 6 months than it had been happening.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Several years ago I got SSSS for a flt. LAX to LAS (cancelled flt. and rebooked). The TSA checker noticed my baggie with a small tube of triple antibiotic ointment and a small tube of tooth paste, which was in my carry-on; he was not disturbed--since then, I've kept that baggie in my c/o [100+ flts.] with NO problems. Now that I'm in TSA, that baggie should never be a problem.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat

Are most still leaving their Freedom Bags inside their carry-ons or are you taking them out? I get the sense that those who have PreCheck are removing them, perhaps out of fear of being summarily dismissed from PreCheck if you don't abide by the baggie rule.
AUS was really bad about the name game for a while. I was there a couple weeks ago and they weren't playing it, much to my surprise.

I haven't taken my Kippie Bag out in months, and I'm not PreCheck. Nobody has said a word, despite the carnival barkers insisting we remove them.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan

I haven't taken my Kippie Bag out in months, and I'm not PreCheck. Nobody has said a word, despite the carnival barkers insisting we remove them.
I stopped taking mine out years ago, long before PreCheck. None of the TSA personnel at any airport have ever said a word about it.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC

In fact, when I go through PreCheck, I often hear the TSA screeners instructing people to leave the liquids inside the bags.

As with others, I also have not removed my liquids baggy in quite some time, unless they explicitly instruct me to do so. This generally happens at much smaller stations (e.g., MHK, TVC, GJT). This also seems to be the standard instruction at PreCheck Lite checkpoints (e.g., EUG, DFW for UA, LGA after hours). In the former case, I do remove them as they explicitly ask each passenger as they're going through if liquids are removed. In the latter, I generally leave them in and haven't had an issue.

It's been a few months since I've flown out of LGA, but I did get the name game pretty regularly there between Jun 2012-May 2014, when I traveled between ORD-LGA at least 60 times. Aside from LGA, I haven't been asked my name since over a year, to my recollection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.