Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

UK may allow US security checks on passengers before transatlantic travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK may allow US security checks on passengers before transatlantic travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
But I am a US citizen AND have GE.
I am fine with that - it means YOU are paying for it and not US lol

On a serious note who the heck is it paying for it? Clearly not the PAX as the fees are the same for non pre clearance departure points.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given US paranoia is driving this push for US CBP PreClearance in Europe, the Europeans should let the US Government pay the full price for this junk, in terms of facilities build-out, maintenance and staffing costs and for displaced revenue losses. Unfortunately this means passengers flying from these airport to the US will end up ultimately footing the bill for having their time wasted even more by the US CBP.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Administration wants to push out US border and other enforcement measures to: (a) further limit VWP country and/or US nationals from flying from (or via) Europe and possibly arriving in the US without the US physically vetting the passengers prior to flight; and (b) further limit people from less developed countries from arriving in the US and claiming asylum/refugee status.

Amongst other things, this US pursuit is meant to reduce: the possibility of the US aviation blacklists from being as readily evaded; and the possibility of fraudulent use of real passports to travel to the US.

I am not surprised our UK government lapdog agreed to this. I hope the other EU countries tell us to go pound sand rather than even taking steps to let us pay up for it in part or full (for then the US will just end up charging us more to travel internationally by hiking fees).

As long as the governments are having airport security screeners properly focusing on and engaging in effective interdiction of contraband weapons, explosives and incendiaries ("WEI") (via screening passengers, bags, cargo and other conveyance), and as long as the cockpits are secure, then I don't really care who is on my flight. Any bad actors missed by European authorities can be stopped without doing these CBP pre-clearance build outs -- stopped on arrival in the US and by effectively screening for WEIs prior to departure.

The reason Canada and the US went for CBP PreClearance was to further integration of the Canada-US passenger airline networks and to try to make things more convenient for passengers. This US push in Europe for this kind of facility is motivated by the government's paranoia; it is not motivated by an interest in making travel easier/faster.
Later on the day of the above post, this became clear in the public domain too:

Originally Posted by Publication
During an event organised on Thursday at the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) – the CFR is the country’s leading think thank on foreign affairs – in New York, Jeh Charles Johnson, the US Secretary of Homeland Security, spelt out several measures aimed at pro-actively deterring and preventing the entry of potential extremists into the country.

Johnson stressed that in the long term, the Department of Homeland Security was pursuing pre-clearance at overseas airports with flights to the United States.

“This means inspection by a US customs officer and enhanced aviation security before a passenger gets on the plane to the United States,” he said.

“We now have pre-clearance at airports in Dublin, Shannon, the United Arab Emirates, Canada, and the Caribbean. I regard it as a homeland security imperative to build more,” he said, adding: “I want to take every opportunity we have to expand homeland security beyond our borders.”
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/m...ghting-for-isi

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 15, 2014 at 4:26 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I think Pre-Clearance makes sense from Canadian airports since it then allows n/s flights to LGA and DCA which couldn't happen otherwise. From Europe unless we're going to see a magical LGA-LHR flight(even with a stop in BOS) I really don't see the point of it except to push the border outward. I really don't see anyone in the EU beyond Ireland and the UK being alright with having CBP on their soil after recent events.
Cheers
Howie
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I think Pre-Clearance makes sense from Canadian airports since it then allows n/s flights to LGA and DCA which couldn't happen otherwise. From Europe unless we're going to see a magical LGA-LHR flight(even with a stop in BOS) I really don't see the point of it except to push the border outward. I really don't see anyone in the EU beyond Ireland and the UK being alright with having CBP on their soil after recent events.
Cheers
Howie
The only point of this US expansion push in Europe for additional CBP PreClearance is rooted in paranoia about Americans, Canadians, citizens of various European and Asian countries in the US Visa Waiver Program, and persons having US visas or US LPR status. It's paranoia about terrorism (being perpetrated by citizens of countries that don't generally need a visa to travel to the US or who have gotten ahold of a US visa/LPR card) which has US DHS/CBP pursuing this attempt to have US border enforcement abroad.

It is wanted -- to use the words of the head of the US DHS -- to "expand [US] homeland security beyond our [US] borders" and prevent presumed-guilty "extremists" from flying to the US even if admissible to the US.

The US doesn't want 100,000 or more Iraqi or Syrian Christians, Yazidis, Muslims, or atheists showing up in the US on a stolen/misused passport claiming asylum in the US. "Extremists" include people not willing to follow passport rules while exercising the right to asylum. And yet Sweden -- with a population akin to Minnesota and Wisconsin combined -- is preparing for that in the next couple of years, even as "we broke it" "we [should] own it" since our invasion of Iraq in 2003. Pottery Barn rule, according to Colin Powell.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 15, 2014 at 10:37 pm
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Actually in the US courts have held you don't have full Constitutional protections until you clear customs and immigration and are "admitted" to the US.
That's a bit inaccurate. There is a different 4th amendment "reasonableness" standard for border searches, but you still have 1st, 4th & 5th amendment rights to shut up. (If you're not a citizen though, you don't have the right to be let in.)
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by saizai
That's a bit inaccurate. There is a different 4th amendment "reasonableness" standard for border searches, but you still have 1st, 4th & 5th amendment rights to shut up. (If you're not a citizen though, you don't have the right to be let in.)
LPR s would disagree with you
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Airbridge
LPR s would disagree with you
LPRs have a right to be admitted but it is built upon a right that is conditional upon verification of valid LPR STATUS
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by saizai
It's much more than "a bit" inaccurate, it's completely wrong. CBP keeps trying to promote this false notion that US law does not apply until you have been admitted, but with exception of the precedent establishing the border search exemption to the 4th Amendment, the courts have consistently rejected this view. It's also obviously false -- if I were to land at a US airport and kill a CBP officer before I had been stamped into the country, would CBP decline to arrest me because "US law does not apply?" If I was charged, would I not have a right to due process, or I could I simply be held without trial?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
LPRs have a right to be admitted but it is built upon a right that is conditional upon verification of valid LPR STATUS
Which can only be determined by an Immigration Judge. The right of admission is not conditional the right of continued residency status is.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by NYCfan
I'd be less surprised if another Catholic priest wasn't convicted of kiddie fiddling.
Less surprised about what? I don't see what this has to due with the topic thread of screening passengers in the U.K. What point are you trying to make that you have to bring the Catholic Church into it?

The UK has been for some time the b***h of the Uncle Sam.
Why would you say that? Aren't they an independent, sovereign nation? U.S. citiizens don't vote for Parliament not are we subjects of the Queen. No one there reports to any U.S. government official.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by N830MH
It will help to reduce the congestion at US Airports.
Right, that's the solution - instead of putting your house in order (= make immigration procedures effective at your own airports) dump the problem to foreign airports
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
Why would you say that? Aren't they an independent, sovereign nation? U.S. citiizens don't vote for Parliament not are we subjects of the Queen. No one there reports to any U.S. government official.
They often say man's best friend is a dog. The UK is a reliable lap dog for the US when it comes to most US "security" requests, and the UK has been so for quite some time. No more reliable "friend" than the UK when it comes to US "security" games.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by stepfel
There are many reasons against this approach:
1. It would mean that you had to be significantly earlier at the origin airport
2. It would kill MCTs to US based flights with current schedules. Add 30 min minimum, every timel
But of course your transfer in the US would be much more efficient. Swings and roundabouts.

As a European citizen I'd rather identify any issues with the US immigration while still in Europe. I can be denied boarding, but not locked up. In addition if I pass through in DUB the US inspectors would deal with a lot of Irish people and familiar with things I tell them.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by gaelflyer
In addition if I pass through in DUB the US inspectors would deal with a lot of Irish people and familiar with things I tell them.
That's a very good point I hadn't thought of. When I go through pre-clearance in Canada my reasons for going through are most likely similar to many other travellers. So when I say, "Yeah, going down to Dunedin to watch the Jays at spring training," I am probably not the only one who said that in the last hour.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gaelflyer
But of course your transfer in the US would be much more efficient. Swings and roundabouts.

As a European citizen I'd rather identify any issues with the US immigration while still in Europe. I can be denied boarding, but not locked up. In addition if I pass through in DUB the US inspectors would deal with a lot of Irish people and familiar with things I tell them.
If PreClearance didn't exist at DUB, then CBP employees at US airports with DUB-originating flights would deal with a lot more Irish people and be familiar with the things you tell them.

I can't say that CBP questioning time per Irish citizens at DUB is any quicker than CBP questioning time per Irish citizen arriving at JFK on a flight from LHR. In my experience, the questioning at PreClearance takes up just as much time or more, and the chatting tends to be longer if only because of the greater chance for small-talk that slows things down.

For example, a naturalized U.S. citizen CBP employee at a US CBP PreClearance airport knew that I was a personal acquaintance of his birth country's head of state and head of government, both of whom he liked a lot. That was the longest exchange I've ever had as a tourist standing with CBP when presenting myself for the trip home; and it slowed things down substantially for others while we engaged in small talk.

About being locked up, that can and has been done sometimes anyway after the long-haul flight.

I can see how the very tiny sliver of a percentage of VWP country citizens denied admission on arrival in the US may want to be denied admission prior to a/another long-haul flight; but not all will get that with this either, as in some cases this will make it worse. Example: as with when someone flies from South America/Asia/Europe to YYZ expecting to be en route to the US thereafter and then ends up being denied admission in the US and is also not necessarily admissible in Canada. All that said, building out a much more expensive infrastructure to cater to outliers makes little to no sense, and yet that is being used to support an expansion of such things?

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 7, 2014 at 1:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.