Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Weirdness at MDW 08/26/14

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
TSA Weirdness at MDW 08/26/14

Flew out of MDW today and I saw 2 hand swab stations set up BEFORE I'd check! These stupid machines were only in the pre check lanes... What else is knew with these goons?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:21 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm going to ask a rhetorical question: what happens when you get hand swabbed before the ID check, then you pass through the WTMD and it "randomly" alarms? Do they do a second hand swab?

Don't everyone answer at once...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by exerda
I'm going to ask a rhetorical question: what happens when you get hand swabbed before the ID check, then you pass through the WTMD and it "randomly" alarms? Do they do a second hand swab?

Don't everyone answer at once...
What I really want to know is: What happens if you get a hand swab before the ID check and it registers "positive" for "explosives" (i.e., hand lotion, or other harmless substance)? Do they then direct you to a private grope-your-genitals-with-the-front-of-their-hands room, or do you get to turn around and go to the restroom and wash your hands?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'm still grappling with the idiocy of someone walking down the line using the same swab over and over.

Good thing Ebola's not here, because that would be a great way to spread it: swab a pax, pick up the germs, swab and infect the next dozen pax.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
What I really want to know is: What happens if you get a hand swab before the ID check and it registers "positive" for "explosives" (i.e., hand lotion, or other harmless substance)? Do they then direct you to a private grope-your-genitals-with-the-front-of-their-hands room, or do you get to turn around and go to the restroom and wash your hands?
That's my question too, DeafBlonde. Technically, if you're in the ID checker line you've not yet begun the screening process so it seems to me that you could take your bags and just leave.

Or better yet, leave one of your bags sitting there while you go the the restroom to wash. See if the terminal is evacuated. I know, I'm bad.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by chollie
I'm still grappling with the idiocy of someone walking down the line using the same swab over and over.

Good thing Ebola's not here, because that would be a great way to spread it: swab a pax, pick up the germs, swab and infect the next dozen pax.
Yes, that is disgusting! I wonder if you can refuse the swab, or should you just cough or sneeze really hard into your hands and then offer them to the swabber?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:00 pm

Yes, that is disgusting! I wonder if you can refuse the swab, or should you just cough or sneeze really hard into your hands and then offer them to the swabber?
Even if that happened, I doubt if the swabber would necessarily feel the need to change swabs. S/he will most likely be wearing gloves; it's only the next pax who get swabbed who are exposed.

It's not clear to me: when they're swabbing in line, using the same swab on multiple pax, how often do they test the swab? If they swab 10 people, then the swab comes back positive, that would mean nine (and probably ten) innocent people get a second look (which, in TSA's case, usually means delays, bag rifling and hands in pants and between legs).
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:22 pm

Even if that happened, I doubt if the swabber would necessarily feel the need to change swabs. S/he will most likely be wearing gloves; it's only the next pax who get swabbed who are exposed.

It's not clear to me: when they're swabbing in line, using the same swab on multiple pax, how often do they test the swab? If they swab 10 people, then the swab comes back positive, that would mean nine (and probably ten) innocent people get a second look (which, in TSA's case, usually means delays, bag rifling and hands in pants and between legs).
I would think they should test it after each swab...but, you know, it's TSA!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry

TSA was swabbing just before the ID check in SAT a couple of weeks ago. The agent would swab a person's hands and then place the swab in the machine for testing. She wasn't swabbing several people in a row without returning the swab to the machine.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:45 pm

Thanks, I haven't seen much of this recently, so I didn't know how they were doing it.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Randyk47
TSA was swabbing just before the ID check in SAT a couple of weeks ago. The agent would swab a person's hands and then place the swab in the machine for testing. She wasn't swabbing several people in a row without returning the swab to the machine.
Thanks, I haven't seen much of this recently, so I didn't know how they were doing it.
Also in LAS a few weeks ago. Comment from checker: "Coupla months now, it don't work. We never caught anyone."
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by petaluma1
That's my question too, DeafBlonde. Technically, if you're in the ID checker line you've not yet begun the screening process so it seems to me that you could take your bags and just leave.
I would just politely remind them of that fact and that they are free to swab my hands with a clean unused patch AFTER I clear the TDC. Further, I will not submit to a swab once I clear the inspection point. They can recheck my bags but not me or my drink. (Never had to with either fortunately).
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I recently started a thread about this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...st-strips.html

As you can tell, my latest experience was at DEN, where someone was using the same 2 test strips over and over.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1

Or better yet, leave one of your bags sitting there while you go the the restroom to wash. See if the terminal is evacuated. I know, I'm bad.
I would just get out of line and leave. Let them try to stop me.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by AKC6
Also in LAS a few weeks ago. Comment from checker: "Coupla months now, it don't work. We never caught anyone."
This begs the question: Would they know what to do if they ever did "catch" someone?
(i.e., Procede to the furthest phone and call in the SWAT team/Bomb squad.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.