Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

2014 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread is the discussion thread for the 2014 How Effective is the TSA survey, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine and FlyerTalk. The survey focuses on the effectiveness of the Transportation Security Administration as a frequent traveler.

Please first take the survey here and then post your thoughts about your favorite peeves below.

Results will be announced in this thread in early October. Thanks for participating.
Print Wikipost

2014 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jtjackson
If we have screening, however, we also need a protocol to deal with those with a fever. During SARS (near the end of the outbreak), I flew to San Jose (SJC) and they held everyone on our flight for several hours on the tarmac because someone had become ill and airport management / TSA / health department / homeland security / etc. had never created a plan for how to deal with passengers on a flight where SARS was suspected.
I wonder how that would interact with the legal requirement to allow passengers off the plane within 3 hours.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sethb
I wonder how that would interact with the legal requirement to allow passengers off the plane within 3 hours.
That requirement and associated penalties for violation are applicable to airlines but not to the government IIRC.

I wouldn't be surprised if government requirements that put the airline in such situations would ultimately be deemed to be situations where the airlines are not liable.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by jtjackson
...WRT inbound screening - it doesn't have to be obtrusive or time consuming. I lived in Hong Kong through SARS and the avian flu scare. HK airport put in thermal imagers...
How is this not invasive? How do you resolve a positive detection without being invasive?

WebMD says:

Most people think of a "normal" body temperature as an oral temperature of 98.6 °F (37 °C). This is an average of normal body temperatures. Your temperature may actually be 1°F (0.6°C) or more above or below 98.6 °F (37 °C). Also, your normal body temperature changes by as much as 1°F (0.6°C) throughout the day, depending on how active you are and the time of day. Body temperature is very sensitive to hormone levels and may be higher or lower when a woman is ovulating or having her menstrual period.
Is there a security risk in that? Are ovulating women or people who are racing to make a flight to be barred from flying while someone questions them and/or subjects them to some sort of medical test? Surely some sort of medical test is required if a suspect temperature was detected "before the people even knew they were sick."
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: American, Starwood, Southwest
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
How is this not invasive? How do you resolve a positive detection without being invasive?
The point was it's a LOT less invasive and time consuming than taking the temperature of every single passenger, which is what it sounds like they are doing. Sure, if someone looks like they're potentially positive then pull them aside and actually take the temperature. Otherwise, thermal imaging sounds like a good way of identifying potential problems while not harassing every traveler. Of course TSA loves harassing travelers for no reason, so maybe it's not what they're looking for.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Um, TSA created the unpleasantness in the first place.
That's not true for many reasons. First of all the basic statement is not correct, for example the requirement to take computers out of bags was not a TSA invention and was happening before 9/11. I can't remember for sure but I don't think it was the TSA that introduced the requirement to take off jackets.

Then taking it a step further, it was the lack of security in American airports before 9/11 that created the extra security.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BMGRAHAM
the requirement to take computers out of bags was not a TSA invention and was happening before 9/11.
Correct - this requirement was implemented following the 1988 Pan Am bombing.

I don't think it was the TSA that introduced the requirement to take off jackets.
Not correct. TSA implemented the jacket removal requirement in 2004.

Then taking it a step further, it was the lack of security in American airports before 9/11 that created the extra security.
Whether security was truly lacking is debatable. A congressional report issued in 2011 found that security post-9/11 is no more effective than it was pre-9/11, despite the huge spend and effort. What is not debatable is that a need to reassure a frightened public is what created the additional security histrionics.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by BMGRAHAM
That's not true for many reasons. First of all the basic statement is not correct, for example the requirement to take computers out of bags was not a TSA invention and was happening before 9/11. I can't remember for sure but I don't think it was the TSA that introduced the requirement to take off jackets.

"Many" reasons?

TSA is responsible for removal of shoes, jackets, and all items from pockets (not just metal) for the NOSs. And if you decline the NOS, TSA hits you with the time-consuming and invasive "enhanced patdown." Laptop removal is only a tiny part of the unpleasantness.

Lack of security didn't cause 9/11. Terrorists took advantage of how existing security functioned and how pax/crews were conditioned to respond to terrorists. They can do the same today with respect to how security functions; there are many examples of flaws in TSA's procedures, and there is even a recent university study confirming NOS blind spots.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: QFF
... and there is even a recent university study confirming NOS blind spots.
and still, no one operating NOS seems to care.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: "all" airlines and hotels
Wink They don't perform the one useful screening I have ever seen

I have only seen this technique once. It was a domestic flight within China.

Everyone got swabbed (I assume this is for explosives), but - they used 1 swab for maybe 25 people, and after swabbing - you went into a holding pen. After the 25th swab - they ran the test.

As they are running the test - they start another group of 25 going into a separate holding pen.

Once the test is done, when it comes back negative, as it does 99.99% of the time, the 25 people are released for the typical metal/body scan. Of course if the swab comes back positive - they swab the 25 people individually.

The reason I say this is useful: I trust these explosive detections way more than other technologies to actually find explosives. Yet - it takes virtually zero time (the time spent in the holding pen adds little or nothing to total time to get through security) and must be very cost effective - one swab for 25 people.

Cheap. Effective. Fast.

What's not to like, except of course for the quality of the TSA?

There is one caveat.
To be fast and not add to security screening time - the number of people going through screening must be high enough that the holding pens fill very quickly. Clearly the number of 25 used above is just an example. At very busy airports - could be 50. Moderate airports maybe 5-10.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by rsercely
I have only seen this technique once. It was a domestic flight within China.

Everyone got swabbed (I assume this is for explosives), but - they used 1 swab for maybe 25 people, and after swabbing - you went into a holding pen. After the 25th swab - they ran the test...
But wouldn't the swab transfer residue (and possibly other things) from one person to the next?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:05 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

The results have been posted for this survey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.