Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Why does T5 immigration have to be such a joke?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does T5 immigration have to be such a joke?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Calchas
Well let me add my experiences. I concur with paul4040.

Now do we have enough data for an opinion?
Me three.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by User Name
Me three.
If we're talking Canada, I agree too. Immigration Canada/CBSA have acquired a deserved reputation for hostility and unpleasantness in recent years. It has been observed numerous times here on FT e.g.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...migration.html

Horrible treatment by Canadian Customs/Immigration (CBSA) at YVR

Some people - including Canadians - believe they have moved into the lead for world's worst border control experience, overtaking the long-time, ten-peating gold medalists of the US INS/CBP several years ago. The weird thing about Canada's border agency people is how aggressively hostile their questioning often is, which is contrast to almost everything else in Canada.

As for LHR T5, in my last ten entries (all using my US passport, thus as undesirable furriner rather than undesirable resident) there were three occasions involving a 30+ minute wait. It seems to depend heavily on BA's irop schedule with a giant pulse of 744s slowing everything down for ages.

Also it's not true that it's always faster at UK Border for UK/EU citizens. At ABZ two years or so ago, arriving from FRA, three Russians and I were the only non-EU people on the full 733. We transited the border far faster than the others. We all remarked to one another how incredible it was.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
I can't actually remember the last time I had a long wait at LHR T5.
My last trip through was ~45 minutes, but that's because I was transferring, completely asleep, and made the mistake of listening to the directions the airport staff gave me. Thus, I went in circles for ~25 of those minutes.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
When I saw this thread I thought the OP must have been in the queues at T5 yesterday at about 1800-1830. I arrived in from DUS and was on to domestic transfer, but looking across at the queues on the landing side were all back to the outer entrance, and even the e-gates were as far back as they could go to the back wall. Quite the worst I have ever seen.

Even at domestic transfers there were 16 in front of me for EU passports (and half a dozen behind me) and a few non-EU waiting too with only one desk manned dealing with both lines.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I'm sure that on arriving in mainland Europe from the UK, one is required to clear immigration / border control before being permitted to proceed.
That's the whole point -- the UK refuses to join Schengen
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by redtailshark
If we're talking Canada, I agree too. Immigration Canada/CBSA have acquired a deserved reputation for hostility and unpleasantness in recent years. It has been observed numerous times here on FT e.g.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...migration.html

Horrible treatment by Canadian Customs/Immigration (CBSA) at YVR

Some people - including Canadians - believe they have moved into the lead for world's worst border control experience, overtaking the long-time, ten-peating gold medalists of the US INS/CBP several years ago. The weird thing about Canada's border agency people is how aggressively hostile their questioning often is, which is contrast to almost everything else in Canada.

As for LHR T5, in my last ten entries (all using my US passport, thus as undesirable furriner rather than undesirable resident) there were three occasions involving a 30+ minute wait. It seems to depend heavily on BA's irop schedule with a giant pulse of 744s slowing everything down for ages.

Also it's not true that it's always faster at UK Border for UK/EU citizens. At ABZ two years or so ago, arriving from FRA, three Russians and I were the only non-EU people on the full 733. We transited the border far faster than the others. We all remarked to one another how incredible it was.
I have only flown business class into LHR in recent memory, so I usually zipped through the fast-track! but Canada, yes, the absolute worst -- rude, aggressive, lying, little martinets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.