Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

U.S. Customs Officers Destroy New Zealand Cricketer's Bat to Look for Drugs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium

Late last week, NZ cricket player Jimmy Neesham Tweeted this photo...

...where it appears as if the bat in the picture had 4 holes drilled into it after an apparent drug test/search.

He later clarified that the picture he shared was of his teammate's bat, West Indian cricketer Lendl Simmons.

Both were a part of a cricket team traveling through the US on their way to a match.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket...-customs-agent

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2014...ecurity-search

I'm left wondering if there's possibly a better way to investigate whether there may be illegal contraband hidden inside what appears to be a solid wooden object.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:06 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by FTcadence

I'm left wondering if there's possibly a better way to investigate whether there may be illegal contraband hidden inside what appears to be a solid wooden object.
X-ray.

The TSA employees who destroyed his bat should be forced to pay for a replacement and all damages incurred by the player and team. Criminal charges for destruction of property should also be levied against the TSA employees.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Spiff
X-ray.

The TSA employees who destroyed his bat should be forced to pay for a replacement and all damages incurred by the player and team. Criminal charges for destruction of property should also be levied against the TSA employees.
TSA should pay for replacing this. They have xray machines for this. If the idiot that did this doesn't know that, or what a cricket bat is he should be fired.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
I did a little bit more reading. A good number of news articles have pointed the finger at the TSA, while others have named U.S. Customs as being at fault.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/28711774

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...s-9657965.html

EDIT

It wasn't the TSA.

Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Spiff
X-ray.

CBP drills into objects.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:32 pm

Note that neither article states definitively that it was TSA. Given that it was an international flight, it could've been CBP. Heck, it could've been an airline employee.

Of course, TSA is both the obvious party to accuse, and perhaps the most likely. But, as with all such matters, everyone who touched that suitcase can claim that someone else did it.

And none of that makes this any less ridiculous.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
CBP drills into objects.
They cut lots of holes in boats as well.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:44 pm

That object in the picture is not a cricket bat. Was this a joke?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Why is stis any different from all the other times Customs (around the world) destroys things in their search?

Partially dismante a car, open a sealed bag-in-box wine, stuff like that (ok, the single bag of wine is probably of more limited value, but otherwise).

I am not saying this is great, but it is not a unique event by any means.

DanishFlyer
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:15 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
There should be a better way to handle this.. these are professional sportsmen traveling for sports reasons, right?

Maybe something as simple as X-Raying it first, but maybe destroying it only if it didn't clear the X-Ray. It kind of ruins the trip if your equipment is destroyed.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by DanishFlyer
Why is this any different from all the other times Customs (around the world) destroys things in their search?
One significant difference: the passenger/player was only connecting through the USA. Anywhere else in the world, his luggage would've been checked through to his final destination, and only inspected there. Since the US can't find a way to implement a "quarantine zone" for international transit, if your connecting flight lands in the US, you have to pass through US customs and US security screening once again.

In short ... there's absolutely no reason that this passenger should've had to worry about a customs/security agent in an intermediate country. Except, of course, when that intermediate country is the USA.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
One significant difference: the passenger/player was only connecting through the USA. Anywhere else in the world, his luggage would've been checked through to his final destination, and only inspected there. Since the US can't find a way to implement a "quarantine zone" for international transit, if your connecting flight lands in the US, you have to pass through US customs and US security screening once again.

In short ... there's absolutely no reason that this passenger should've had to worry about a customs/security agent in an intermediate country. Except, of course, when that intermediate country is the USA.
Ah, yes, I agree, at least with the customs part. One cam always discuss if the security of foreign airport is to be trusted (my personal opinion is set some minimum standards for security on flights into your country and that should be enough too).

DanishFlyer
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Xlr
There should be a better way to handle this.. these are professional sportsmen traveling for sports reasons, right?

Maybe something as simple as X-Raying it first, but maybe destroying it only if it didn't clear the X-Ray. It kind of ruins the trip if your equipment is destroyed.
As far as I can see, we do not know if the bat (or "piece of gear" as it was identified) failed an x-ray before the drilling.

My personal opinion is that for any search that turns up nothing needs to be compensated fully for any damage. Sadly that is not the law (anywhere that I know of).

DanishFlyer
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by pgiyer
That object in the picture is not a cricket bat. Was this a joke?
Yes it is, and no it wasn't.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Customs agents have drills?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.