New security technology? HOU

Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:01 am

Looks like CavePearl got into big trouble poking around.
I told him/her not to mess around with the Curiosity Detectors.
Just squint and grunt as you pass by, like you don't see them.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Originally Posted by yandosan
(Oops. While reading this, CavePearl is enjoying her drinks in the concierge lounge at the IC Kansas City and just realized that she forgot to post her experiences at the checkpoint at HOU...)

So, after going through Pre at the checkpoint I pointed to the foreign object and asked "What are those? Are they new?" And the lovely, pleasant TSA matron said, "I don't know what they are."

I just love added layers of security, don't you? They make me feel so safe.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by CavePearl
So, after going through Pre at the checkpoint I pointed to the foreign object and asked "What are those? Are they new?" And the lovely, pleasant TSA matron said, "I don't know what they are."

I just love added layers of security, don't you? They make me feel so safe.
Ah, well, she clearly hasn't been trained in the new technology yet. @:-)

You and I, not being TSA employees, might foolishly assume that someone could just tell the checkpoint staff "we're installing these new wobulators to scan passengers for soylent green" and that would be that. But that just shows how naive we are.

Let us never forget that this is an organization that had to train its staff when they changed the rules from "shoes in the bin" to "shoes on the belt" (and back again) (and then round in circles for a while). This is an organization that trains (and retrains, and re-re-trains) its employees to recognize a Nexus card. An organization that is still re-re-re-training its staff (except for the person in your photo, apparently) that photography IS allowed at the checkpoint. Most importantly, this is an organization that delayed allowing little pointy things through the checkpoint because it had to allow weeks to train its staff to allow little pointy things through the checkpoint. (By which time the policy had been attacked and cancelled.)

So no doubt over the next 6 to 9 months, the staff in HOU will get the appropriate training on what the heck those things are.

And you will feel so much safer, because the next time you ask, she won't say "I don't know. " She'll say "I can't tell you."
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Ah, well, she clearly hasn't been trained in the new technology yet. @:-)

You and I, not being TSA employees, might foolishly assume that someone could just tell the checkpoint staff "we're installing these new wobulators to scan passengers for soylent green" and that would be that. But that just shows how naive we are.

Let us never forget that this is an organization that had to train its staff when they changed the rules from "shoes in the bin" to "shoes on the belt" (and back again) (and then round in circles for a while). This is an organization that trains (and retrains, and re-re-trains) its employees to recognize a Nexus card. An organization that is still re-re-re-training its staff (except for the person in your photo, apparently) that photography IS allowed at the checkpoint. Most importantly, this is an organization that delayed allowing little pointy things through the checkpoint because it had to allow weeks to train its staff to allow little pointy things through the checkpoint. (By which time the policy had been attacked and cancelled.)

So no doubt over the next 6 to 9 months, the staff in HOU will get the appropriate training on what the heck those things are.

And you will feel so much safer, because the next time you ask, she won't say "I don't know. " She'll say "I can't tell you."
So, to sum up:

"Abject stupidity is our most important layer of security. If WE don't know what the hell we're doing, The Terrorists will certainly never be able to guess what we're doing, and they'll NEVER be able to foil us!"
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Yesterday I asked again about the new HOU detecto widgets and a 3 striper told me they are cameras. When I asked if they were to watch the travelers or the TSA I don't think she found my question as amusing as I did.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:57 am

Yesterday I asked again about the new HOU detecto widgets and a 3 striper told me they are cameras. When I asked if they were to watch the travelers or the TSA I don't think she found my question as amusing as I did.
No doubt!
Thanks for your detective work, though. It will be nice to know that "Big Brother" is closely watching next time I go through the HOU Security Theatre Gauntlet!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:33 pm
YKF

Those are not cameras. Who knows what they are up to
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
They'd find it even less funny if you looked up and announced (loudly): 'those must be the new radiation detectors I read about! Remember when they had to take out the BSX but they said the MMW was safe? Guess what!'
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
I wonder if this is related to this article. It mentions three airports but only lists AUS.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by yandosan
Yeah, he will get a big trouble. He can't taking a pictures without TSA permission. No photography allowed! TSA will not like that. They won't let you to take a pictures. TSA had it right not to take a photos. Photography & fliming is prohibited.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yeah, he will get a big trouble. He can't taking a pictures without TSA permission. No photography allowed! TSA will not like that. They won't let you to take a pictures. TSA had it right not to take a photos. Photography & fliming is prohibited.
She took photos anyway. Didn't get arrested or anything.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
well, I'm willing to get a photo of them, but I'm buggered if I'm going to drink some barium in order to test the theory. Sorry.
I don't think that's the way the Barium is introduced
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
No they won't. Yes, they can. Yes, it is. It doesn't matter what TSA likes. They can't stop someone. No they didn't. No it isn't.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
She took photos anyway. Didn't get arrested or anything.
Lucky! She didn't get arrested for that. She have stay away from TSA by approximately 500 feet.

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
No they won't. Yes, they can. Yes, it is. It doesn't matter what TSA likes. They can't stop someone. No they didn't. No it isn't.
Who cares? Back off! You can't be disrespecting at me. TSA had it right not to take a pictures. You had respect that. You don't want to get into trouble.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:58 am

Lucky! She didn't get arrested for that. She have stay away from TSA by approximately 500 feet.

Who cares? Back off! You can't be disrespecting at me. TSA had it right not to take a pictures. You had respect that. You don't want to get into trouble.
You do a great disservice to this forum by making unequivocal incorrect statements concerning photography.

Section 2.7(a) of the last publicly available Screening Management SOP states, "TSA does not prohibit the public, passengers, or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming screening locations unless the activity interferes with a TSO’s ability to perform his or her duties or prevents the orderly flow of individuals through the screening location."

Do you have any facts to back up your statements?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.