Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New security technology? HOU

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I have no idea what those things are, but, most likely, they are NOT radiation monitors (that is, direct reading RADIAC instruments) since it sounds like they are up high (radiation decreases with shielding, time, and distance). While gamma radiation would be detected, alpha and beta are unlikely in that case. They could be some kind of air monitoring equipment, but, again, I have no idea.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by CavePearl
Sheesh. Spoil all my fun. I was planning on a barium martini before I run the glove gauntlet.
You want fun? Buy a bottle of a good quality (expensive) flavored milk drink, preferably a light colored one - banana or vanilla rather than chocolate. Enjoy it at home and rinse out the bottle. Now get the barium mixture (it tastes foul), put it in milk drink bottle and take it to the airport. Make sure the TSA screeners find it. Protest loudly when they confiscate encourage you to voluntarily surrender it - explain how it's your favorite flavor, how much you paid for it, how delicious this brand is, and so on. Eventually "surrender" it and enjoy the prospect of the screener drinking it with his lunch.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:41 pm

Those gizmos are Curiosity Detectors. Since Curiosity is
a sign of Intelligence, and therefore trouble, you are required
to pass by without taking photos or trying to figure out what they are.
Even discussing them will place you on the "list."
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
I never thought I'd say this... but I'm actually looking forward to my trip out of HOU tomorrow. I'm gonna be looking for barium-seeking Curiosity Detectors!
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
You want fun? Buy a bottle of a good quality (expensive) flavored milk drink, preferably a light colored one - banana or vanilla rather than chocolate. Enjoy it at home and rinse out the bottle. Now get the barium mixture (it tastes foul), put it in milk drink bottle and take it to the airport. Make sure the TSA screeners find it. Protest loudly when they confiscate encourage you to voluntarily surrender it - explain how it's your favorite flavor, how much you paid for it, how delicious this brand is, and so on. Eventually "surrender" it and enjoy the prospect of the screener drinking it with his lunch.
You, evil genius, you! ^

I never thought I'd say this... but I'm actually looking forward to my trip out of HOU tomorrow. I'm gonna be looking for barium-seeking Curiosity Detectors!
Are you going to try RG's suggestion? (Oh, please, please, please do!! )
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Sheesh. Spoil all my fun. I was planning on a barium martini before I run the glove gauntlet.
I was just using the phrase generally, not literally. It's all just "barium" to me. But now I know differently.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by relangford
I have no idea what those things are, but, most likely, they are NOT radiation monitors (that is, direct reading RADIAC instruments) since it sounds like they are up high (radiation decreases with shielding, time, and distance). While gamma radiation would be detected, alpha and beta are unlikely in that case. They could be some kind of air monitoring equipment, but, again, I have no idea.
You do realize that the fact they would be improperly placed by TSA for a task like that just raises the probability that that's what they are?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
You, evil genius, you! ^
No, evil would not be using barium for that. Evil would be using a little milk and a lot of laxative and then playing that game....
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
No, evil would not be using barium for that. Evil would be using a little milk and a lot of laxative and then playing that game....
IIRC the one and only time I had a barium x-ray (never again!!!), they warned me to drink a lot of fluids because the barium tends to constipate. One could only hope...
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:44 am

If a new screening technology is being used, should not TSA provide some sort of notice about it?

Maybe it is a device that counts the number of people passing through the checkpoint.

Edit: Or maybe it is for wait time estimation! TSA might be reading (for example) Bluetooth device signals at various points in the checkpoint queue. I found something about this in a DHS future procurement notice:

"Seeking contractor support to provide: Program and Technical Management for Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Systems Integration Facility (TSIF) Test Support; support the passenger screening test events in support of the TSA Checkpoint Technologies Division; conduct technical testing for AIT, AT2, CAT-BPSS, ETD systems and perform regression testing associated with system upgrades for the vendor unit types at the TSIF; conduct technical testing for AWT systems that collect information from passengers carried devices and use this information to determine and report estimated wait time at individual checkpoints..."
Edit 2: [moved to new thread]

Edit 3: But this article says that an AWT system was scrapped last year...

Last edited by Schmurrr; Aug 5, 2014 at 11:47 pm
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
TSA wants the ability to pick up information from pax cell phones at the checkpoint?

Yeah, sure, only the time/location, nothing more, I'm sure.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by chollie
TSA wants the ability to pick up information from pax cell phones at the checkpoint?

Yeah, sure, only the time/location, nothing more, I'm sure.
I don't know, but the Automated Wait Time system was developed under a $48 million contract.

Bluetooth readers are not that expensive to purchase and deploy for the purpose of measuring travel time.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Got the photos, will see about an upload when I get to my hotel.

It will be several hours before I get the photos up, but the "devices" look like a lamp post with a shower head attached. They are in the section after the document checkers, and over the X-ray belts and AITs.

Last edited by CavePearl; Aug 5, 2014 at 12:49 pm Reason: Added info.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:21 pm

Once we see what they look like, maybe some one could just start pointing at them and wondering out loud what they are . . .
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:33 pm

HOU we have photos!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.