How the TSA beat fliers into submission

Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:35 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
How the TSA beat fliers into submission

USA Today Article

"The TSA is having a heckuva summer.

From a new "trusted" traveler system it's pushing on passengers, to a peculiar new rule that requires certain electronics to power up before they can fly, to numerous bizarre incidents at screening areas, the federal agency tasked with protecting America's transportation systems has been in the news for all the wrong reasons.

But that's not the headline. No, the story is us — you and me — and our reaction to the agency's antics and missteps.

More than 12 years after the TSA's creation, it seems our anger and outrage have run dry. Travelers have come to accept anything the agency throws at us, no matter how nonsensical and despite its civil-rights implications.

The story is our TSA apathy."

Mr. Elliott is right. It's a disgrace how many have rolled over for TSA. Your representative is up for reelection this midterm. If he/she supports TSA, definitely vote for someone else. This disgusting, un-American agency should be kicked out of all USA airports and its employees should be charged with crimes ranging from sexual assault to theft to impersonating a medical doctor/law enforcement officer. Its scumbag "leaders", past and present, should be imprisoned for life.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:40 pm

Agreed. So many people don't care about what rights they are giving up, they just want to get through the checkpoint quickly. Then you try to point out that going through the body scanners takes much longer than WTMD, but it falls on deaf ears.

Then you have the trusted traveler program, where more and more inexperienced flyers are getting randomly chosen to enter the lanes, thus clogging down the lanes eventually. My home airport now apparently at many times has the pre-check lane feed a body scanner. It seems to be a giant bait and switch scheme getting people to sign up and promising this and that, then changing it after all. I sure picked the right time to complete my GE enrollment.

People should be up in arms over the fee increase, but I haven't seen it. They should be up in arms over the sexual harassment, the thousands standing around, the general incompetence of the agency. But it seems like people just view it as status-quo nowadays, maybe another example of government waste. I just shake my head when I see one after another after another enter the body scanners with their hands up in the air. It just doesn't seem to matter to many people. Unfortunately I still think it will get worse before it ever gets better...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtigeriii
Agreed. So many people don't care about what rights they are giving up, they just want to get through the checkpoint quickly. Then you try to point out that going through the body scanners takes much longer than WTMD, but it falls on deaf ears.

Then you have the trusted traveler program, where more and more inexperienced flyers are getting randomly chosen to enter the lanes, thus clogging down the lanes eventually. My home airport now apparently at many times has the pre-check lane feed a body scanner. It seems to be a giant bait and switch scheme getting people to sign up and promising this and that, then changing it after all. I sure picked the right time to complete my GE enrollment.

People should be up in arms over the fee increase, but I haven't seen it. They should be up in arms over the sexual harassment, the thousands standing around, the general incompetence of the agency. But it seems like people just view it as status-quo nowadays, maybe another example of government waste. I just shake my head when I see one after another after another enter the body scanners with their hands up in the air. It just doesn't seem to matter to many people. Unfortunately I still think it will get worse before it ever gets better...
From Day One, the TSA sought to frame the discourse around how fast you could get through the checkpoint and deflect or at least minimize the outrage over the latest draconian security theater tactic or blatant waste of money. They were successful and the debates continue today as they framed it back in 2002.

On top of that, you have the PreCheck extortion. They copied the Communist system of privileges. The Party (TSA) sought to co-opt a very influential class of people (frequent flyers) by promoting them as "special" and granting privileges to which the rest of us can only aspire to earn. The Party (TSA) created an upper class that became loyal to the Party (TSA) because they were told they were special and were granted a privilege that the working class couldn't get. The Privileged Class was removed from the debate because the special people know that the Prty (TSA) can take away the privilege at any time for any reason.

The joke is on us. As long as we have an almost orgasmic desire to make our flights, we will put up with anything the TSA comes up with.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Spiff
USA Today Article
Mr. Elliott is right. It's a disgrace how many have rolled over for TSA. Your representative is up for reelection this midterm. If he/she supports TSA, definitely vote for someone else. This disgusting, un-American agency should be kicked out of all USA airports and its employees should be charged with crimes ranging from sexual assault to theft to impersonating a medical doctor/law enforcement officer. Its scumbag "leaders", past and present, should be imprisoned for life.
No Federal candidate will come out against TSA. A large number of current Reps and Senators are against TSA, but the political reality is that they're trapped. If they call for rolling back TSA, they'll be accused by the other side as being weak on terrorism. If an attack were to happen after TSA was rolled back, then they would be thrown out of office for rolling back TSA. Regardless if TSA clerks would have prevented the attack.

Always remember that on 9/11, the hijackers boarded the planes all legal. They didn't have machine guns, they didn't have explosives, they didn't have freaking dolphins with freaking lasers on their freaking heads. They boarded with box cutters and blades that were allowable on all domestic commercial flights that day. Whether it was TSA or the minimum wage guys who used to do security, neither would have prevented 9/11 with the rules in place that morning.

Thus, we have the ever expanding "gee, maybe it's the shoes/belts/batteries/bottles of water/whatever" whack-a-mole approach to security these days. We're closing in on 8 years (August 2006) in the War on Water. Eight freaking years since we were able to take a bottle of water, a cup of coffee or a full-size tube of tooth paste through airport security. Everyone except the paranoid and those looking to make money and/or political hay off of it has known it's stupid since about 8 years ago. Yet, even with Pre-Check and everything else, the ban remains.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
USA Today Article
I support the TSA fully, absolutely and completely with all my heart and soul. I don't ever want another 9/11. In my opinion, what happened on that day was our fault due to our lackadaisical attitude toward lives and safety. The problem has been rectified and I never want to go back.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
While reps may be up for re-election, the TSA just isn't a priority for the majority of voters, myself included. Economy, foreign policy, etc. frame much more important policy positions than the TSA.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by eghansen
I support the TSA fully, absolutely and completely with all my heart and soul. I don't ever want another 9/11. In my opinion, what happened on that day was our fault due to our lackadaisical attitude toward lives and safety. The problem has been rectified and I never want to go back.
I think it is a fair presumption that none of our FTers want another 9/11, I certainly don't. However I also recognize the flagrant waste of my hard earned money and usurption of liberty that the TSA represents. The agency is very good at presenting a theatre of airport security to the masses, but for those familiar with just how real security works and the easy TSA workarounds available to a determined bad guy know that the real problem is far from being rectified.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
This disgusting, un-American agency should be kicked out of all USA airports and its employees should be charged with crimes ranging from sexual assault to theft to impersonating a medical doctor/law enforcement officer. Its scumbag "leaders", past and present, should be imprisoned for life.
I find Americans' willingness to trade freedom for the illusion of safety alarming as well, but this last paragraph was chilling.

Presumably you'd at least grant the agency's top brass a trial before they're "imprisoned for life" on the heinous charge of trying to make air travel safer? Or does the Constitution not apply when frequent flyers are inconvenienced?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:44 am

Hopefully, this was written in a sarcastic tone. If not, if you think the "problem has been rectified", you are sadly mistaken.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
I would have to agree that the TSA is more of a theater troupe than a security system at this point. It has been proven that it is easier to defeat the full body scanner than a metal detector (at least with metal anyway), and the over all incompetence level is very high. Just yesterday I was told there was an oversized liquid in my bag (there wasnt) they pulled the bag tore it apart found nothing, re-ran it and somehow it was no longer there...

The logical first step in all of this is the immediate removal of the full body scanners. If random selection can send a completely un-prechecked passenger (presumably the high security risk) to the precheck lane, we have to ask our selves what the real point here? A fence is only as strong as its lowest point so if we believe that precheck is a loosened security let not think that evil doers are going to climb the high fence. Getting precheck is supremely easy, if a terrorist wanted to abuse it all they would have to do is fly a handfull of flights on any domestic airline to get enrolled (bypassing the supposed background check).

All security should function as precheck does today, then if we really have concerns randomly select passengers for additional screening. (I realize many will be opposed but truthfully the patdowns are the most secure thing they do even if we dont like it).
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:03 pm

The article like many fails to mention airlines love the TSA. The airlines are hoping the TSA will be now be the carry on overhead baggage size police. The TSA already created a huge bump in airline revenue on people using another persons airline tickets. Both issues have zero to do with security. The ticket name issue is silly. A terrorist can have any name and become anyone. The entire name ID checking is a joke unless a national id or serial number is created and no one wants to admit or discuss that fact that biometrics would have to be added.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
It's funny how even a small shift in tone can make a difference. I was recently screened at Heathrow and I alarmed the metal detector. (I can always wear my belt in the US without it going off, but I forget that doesn't always work overseas).

The security screener politely says:
Excuse me, sir. Would it be alright if I search you?
He proceeded to very politely describe where he would be doing, etc.

Can you ever imagine a TSA agent initiating a pat-down that way. It's always delivered instead with phrases like "You need to..." I think a mere change in tone could go a long way to improving security...it certainly made me want to cooperate more.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:58 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
USA Today Article

"The TSA is having a heckuva summer.

From a new "trusted" traveler system it's pushing on passengers, to a peculiar new rule that requires certain electronics to power up before they can fly, to numerous bizarre incidents at screening areas, the federal agency tasked with protecting America's transportation systems has been in the news for all the wrong reasons.

But that's not the headline. No, the story is us you and me and our reaction to the agency's antics and missteps.

More than 12 years after the TSA's creation, it seems our anger and outrage have run dry. Travelers have come to accept anything the agency throws at us, no matter how nonsensical and despite its civil-rights implications.

The story is our TSA apathy."

Wow, good article.

Normally I can't stand Elliott but this one is somewhat cogent and on-the-mark.

Thanks for posting.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Is this some sort of joke? Parody? Performance art?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Part of the problem is the general public not having the slightest clue about the actual risks of being in an air terrorism related incident. Even with 9/11 the chances of dying in a terrorism incident are incredibly small compared to so many other everyday things, including slips/falls at home, dog bites, heart disease, suicide, etc, etc...terrorism isn't even on the chart. Instead the emotionalism from 9/11 and a few other incidents is used/abused to make decisions and direct investment of tax dollars.

Then the same lack of evidence-based decision making infects the evaluation of what are the best methods to achieve the goal of safe air transport.

I'm not saying that no improvements could have been made since 2001, or that there should be "nothing done" to ward off air terrorism. But we weren't ignoring safety with the pre-9/11 procedures, nor is the post- 9/11 TSA environment necessarily doing the right or best things. It's disturbing that the public isn't questioning the TSA environment...I bet a lot more would do so if they really understood things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.