Wiki Posts
Search

US No-Fly List

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The FBI has been busting up a government contractor's life over suspicions the person is the whistleblower source about the "functioning" of the US aviation blacklists that led to some press articles and this FT thread.

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-identify-...165741571.html
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:16 am

No-fly list based partially on crime prediction

The Obama administration’s no-fly lists and broader watchlisting system is based on predicting crimes rather than relying on records of demonstrated offenses, the government has been forced to admit in court.
Guilty until proven innocent yet again.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ve-assessments
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand how the No Fly List can be used against citizens without the protections of Due Process. Non-citizens have no absolute right to travel to the states so the process for them is likely legal but even then they should know if they are on thr NFL.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
US persons include US citizens and US residents.

Persons -- citizens or not -- subject to U.S. jurisdiction ought to have due process rights in the U.S.; that or we may as well just acknowledge that secret kangaroo "courts" are the wave of the future in America.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was thinking of people outside of the U.S. wishing to travel here. In those cases I think the NFL rules would stand.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: QFF
...Why?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
...Why?
Does a person who is not a US citizen and is outside of the US and its territories have a right to travel to the US? I think not and inclusion on the NFL for such a person is probably easier to enforce.

I think that government should be required to state why a person is a candidate for any watch list and the individual given the opportunity to contest such nomination in a court of law before being placed on any watch list.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't understand how the No Fly List can be used against citizens without the protections of Due Process. Non-citizens have no absolute right to travel to the states so the process for them is likely legal but even then they should know if they are on the NFL.
Simple: We, The People, allow it to happen.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Simple: We, The People, allow it to happen.
It seems to me that government is doing many things not supported by the people and the courts are allowing it to continue.

What can We, the People, do to turn things around short of an armed insurrection?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
It seems to me that government is doing many things not supported by the people and the courts are allowing it to continue.

What can We, the People, do to turn things around short of an armed insurrection?
I don't know...even the change in the White House didn't reverse this nonsense, despite the rhetoric. Not sure how many people are really aware of this latest revelation - I wasn't before this thread. It's really appalling though.

Then again, too many people I talk with are of the "anything for security" and/or "if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear" mentality. So I wonder what percentage of the population would actually be OK with this.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my wildest dreams:

1. 95% of eligible voters actually vote over a couple of election cycles for candidates of all parties who respect the Constitution.

2. Sustained political action -- more than just one Opt Out Day. That was a success because the TSA simply shut off the Cancer Boxes and declared there were no lines. Figure out a way to kill ExtortionCheck and throw the privileged back into the checkpoint proletariat.

3. Orchestrating an air-tight legal case that blows the Surveillance State wide open. It would have to take someone with a lot of money and good lawyers.

4. Economic sanctions. We really need to get serious about boycotting the airlines and put the economic squeeze on the transportation sector. They didn't necessarily cause all of this, but they can force Congress into fixing it.

It took a lot of gutsy people to start videotaping cops, but, the People have affected change. It isn't nearly done yet, but there is now a hot market for police body cams.

Back in the early 90s, VDOT took one lane of the then-three lane Dulles Toll Road and made it HOV-2. After just one day of gridlock, there was massive civil disobedience. People generally ignored the HOV-2 restrictions and overwhelmed the cops. It took an act of Congress to get the rule rescinded. But, the people prevailed.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One other thing that I think should be a general rule, the courts should defer to "the people" and not government in their decisions.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:13 pm

I don't understand how the No Fly List can be used against citizens without the protections of Due Process.
It can't. Latif v. Holder, 9th Cir. 2012, D. Or. 2013.

What can be done: sue. Most civil rights issues in the US have eventually been won in courts.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by GUWonder
... we may as well just acknowledge that secret kangaroo "courts" are the wave of the future in America.
Hey! Kangaroos are peaceful, noble, intelligent, social and they move FAST. They're also seriously cute.

Don't you go disrespecting kangaroos by comparing them to the American judicial (official or otherwise) system!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Hey! Kangaroos are peaceful, noble, intelligent, social and they move FAST. They're also seriously cute.
You think???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.