Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Border Patrol points gun and detains scout troop at Canadian Border

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

See Officer Points Gun at Boy Scout at Canadian Border

Boy Scout Troop 111 Leader Jim Fox spelled out what happened to him and the Mid-Iowa Boy Scout Troop 111 as four van-loads of Scouts and adult volunteers tried to drive from Canada into Alaska.

Fox said one of the Scouts took a picture of a border official, which spurred agents to detain everyone in that van and search them and their belongings.
I guess all the love and kindness is being reserved for folks immigrating illegally at the SOUTHERN border...

Last edited by nachtnebel; Jul 22, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I seriously just threw up in my own mouth reading that story. There's no universe where holding a loaded sidearm to the head of a Boy Scout should be accepted as "Your Government At Work".
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:31 pm

So? Does everyone feel safer yet?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Nope, just revolted and full of contempt for an agency & government that bullies its own citizens.

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
So? Does everyone feel safer yet?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:02 pm

Why was the man with the gun so scared of having his picture taken?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If they have nothing to hide.........

Originally Posted by shenxing
Why was the man with the gun so scared of having his picture taken?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:43 pm

Wow! That border patrol officer is a true patriot! I'm so grateful he protected our country and its people. I hope he earns some sort of medal of honor. I will sleep well tonight knowing that people like him are saving us from Boy Scout marauders and their sinister photos.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:17 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Other than wikid pissed, I'm beyond words
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
He was just testing the scouts to see if, like their motto, they were prepared to have a loaded firearm pointed at them and be threatened with arrest for taking a photo.

I'm not saying I'm a badass or anything, but part of me wants to find myself in a situation like this and just go, "you know what? Shoot me. Have at it." And go about doing what I'm doing, which will of course be neither unreasonable nor illegal.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
While I agree the officer way over-reacted.

There are signs telling you not to photograph the border crossing.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by TomBrady

That may very well be, but there are right ways and wrong ways to enforce that sign. This Border Patrol chose the Max Power Way (which is just the wrong way, but faster).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:53 pm

If by faster you mean training a carload of people to be sheep sure. But stopping the van, telling the people photographs aren't allowed and having the scout delete would accomplish the same legitimate goal while not being a male mid-body appendage.

Originally Posted by Critic
That may very well be, but there are right ways and wrong ways to enforce that sign. This Border Patrol chose the Max Power Way (which is just the wrong way, but faster).
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:03 am

If photographs really aren't allowed by some law that miraculously avoids contradicting the first amendment, deleting the photo would be an even more serious infraction: destruction of evidence.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:15 am

Well even assuming there is a reasonable reason for not photographing a piece of land, a road and some buildings that doesn't involve paranoia or "security", does pointing a gun at someone's head seem a reasonable way to deal with it?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:31 am

But do those signs have any basis in law behind them or are they just meant as a form of intimidation?

Seems to be, some TSA checkpoints had signs at one time saying that photography was forbidden.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.