TSA at MCO needs a geography lesson

Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Hiring standards aren't top-notch, but on the whole, IMO, it is a much more educated and aware lot that were the private screeners employed by the airlines prior to the creation of the TSA.
Too bad all that better education has produced is a workforce that is no better at their jobs than the private screeners they replaced. Which means that all we got out of the deal as taxpayers and passengers is no greater security at much greater cost, with the extra added attraction of an abusive, arrogant workforce that believes we are their subjects, not their employers.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
So the TSO's at MCO are going to be shown pictures of what a DC driver's license looks like? When I was in elementary school, these were called flash cards
To be fair when I was in primary school, I didn't have a driving licence
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonanza36
A local ABC affiliate reporter finds he has issues with a document checker at Orlando International not recognizing his Washington DC issued drivers license.

You would think the clerk would at least know that is where his paycheck comes from.

Video: http://m.wftv.com/videos/news/orland...resher/vCjKK3/

My question is that if they don't know what a legitimate ID looks like, how do they know a forgery when they see one?
Or even worse, allow someone (i.e. illegal aliens) to fly with legitimate overseas ID that is not a passport (i.e. Malaysia IC, matricula consular...)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Few months ago, I saw someone clear security (@ORD) using TSA Pre lane by showing a credit card (without a picture). He left his id at the bar evening before... no issues at all. Didn't have to explain much or call a supervisor.

I think, I am going to try an official looking Justice League of America id next time. Might work!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
I should try using my Singapore identity card next time and see what happens.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
And of course we get to pay MORE for the privilege of being molested by these moron starting next week.

Get ready to pay more for your flights because starting next week, there will be an increase to the TSA September 11 Security Fee. Its not a huge increase but something worth noting if you travel frequently or travel with a family. Effective July 21, 2014, the September 11 Security Fee will be increased from $2.50 per flight segment with a $5.00 cap to $5.60 per ONE Way with NO cap. On the surface, this increase doesnt seem like a big deal but the fee structure gets a little more convoluted.

Flying domestically (not including to Alaska and Hawaii), if your itinerary has a layover of 4 or more hours, the flight segment after the layover will be considered a separate trip and will add another $5.60 fee to the cost of your ticket. Each subsequent layover of 4 hours or more will result in an additional $5.60 fee.

Flying internationally or to Alaska and Hawaii, the layover limit is more lenient with a maximum of 12 hours before an additional $5.60 fee will be added to the cost of your ticket. Each subsequent layover of 12 hours or more will result in an additional $5.60 fee.
WHY do we not protest this nonsense?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Few months ago, I saw someone clear security (@ORD) using TSA Pre lane by showing a credit card (without a picture). He left his id at the bar evening before... no issues at all. Didn't have to explain much or call a supervisor.
I've used my local government (non US) issued 'Proof of Age' card to get through TSA before. The only times they've had an issue with it, they complained that it didn't list an expiry date.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Himeno
I've used my local government (non US) issued 'Proof of Age' card to get through TSA before. The only times they've had an issue with it, they complained that it didn't list an expiry date.
Even if it's a non-US local govt id, it is still coming from an official body. Even if they are handing them out like candy....

But credit card (w/o a picture) for security id... really?!! What if I just swiped someone's jacket with their cc and BP in it... free plane ride?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Indelaware
And what could possibly be wrong with a TSA agent knowing Arabic? Perhpas a bit of bigotry at play?

Wouldn't it add to security if every TSA agent was fluent in each of the world's languages (there are 1000s, BTW) - or at least in more than one major one (English is one and Arabic is certainly another)?
I believe the flash card reference was this one where a student was detained because he had Arabic flash cards.
http://rt.com/usa/tsa-arrest-arabic-...rds-court-845/
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Originally Posted by gailwynand
I should try using my Singapore identity card next time and see what happens.
Tried this at DEN, LAX, SFO and ORD just for kicks. The reactions have largely been the same, "Uhhhhh do you have any other ID?" Sometimes they just stare at it and if it's for more than a couple of minutes I give them my passport to move the line along.

Last year I got ID'd a bar in some town in Colorado and I wasn't carrying my passport on me so I showed the bartender my Singapore ID. "Singapore? Singapore? That's not a real place. This isn't a real ID." Pulled up the Singapore page on Wikipedia and he finally let me have a beer.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
To be fair to the TSO, it didn't look like a real ID - all the info on it was garbled!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Reminds me of an incident I had at EDI last year. A woman at customs who was completely out of order gave a few blinders during our short but heated exchange. My favourite:

Idiot: What was your first point of departure today?
Me: Kiev.
Idiot: What was the purpose of your visit to Russia?
Me: Kiev is in Ukraine, actually.
Idiot: Let's not split hairs.

Wonderful considering Scots would be the first people to be outraged if someone claimed Edinburgh was in "England", and someone else said "let's not split hairs".
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Whatever it takes just let me fly

I once had a TSA screener balk when I presented my boarding pass and U.S. passport. He said I needed a photo i.d. issued by the government. I whipped out my driver's license. Whatever it takes to get through to board my flight!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Bonanza36
My question is that if they don't know what a legitimate ID looks like, how do they know a forgery when they see one?
Good question. The solution will be to have only a single drivers license for all USA residents. Having 55 or so different driver licenses is sort of...stupid. If the driver license is the de facto standard of government identification in the USA, then it should be standardized. There is no way a person can accurately discern a forged license from 50+ states and territories, especially a TSA employee. People already have a hard time recognizing counterfeit US paper currency!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Ducati
Good question. The solution will be to have only a single drivers license for all USA residents. Having 55 or so different driver licenses is sort of...stupid. If the driver license is the de facto standard of government identification in the USA, then it should be standardized. There is no way a person can accurately discern a forged license from 50+ states and territories, especially a TSA employee. People already have a hard time recognizing counterfeit US paper currency!
I'm tired. Sarcasm?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.