Flying domestic with controversial book?

Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:14 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WillCAD
We've had a couple of the resident TSOs on FT tell us that a book shows up in the carry-on x-ray as a solid mass, which must be examined visually because the mass is indistinguishable from a shielded container (which could contain prohibited items) or the solid mass of plastic explosive.
And they're full of it if you ask me. I've watched my bags go through the x-ray on many occasions, and books are very plainly books, and appear much different than similarly-sized and otherwise-dense objects.

I've never had them look at a book despite always having at least one in my carry-on, either.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thus, there is a possibility that your book might trigger a bag check.
I always fly with at least two hardbound, traditional books from the local library, an IPad, Bose headphones, associated files from work, some thumb drives, usually a laptop, and occasionally a DSLR camera. I've never had my bag pulled aside because of books, even post-9/11 and before pre-Check.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:05 am

It's an excellent book, BTW. Very interesting reading.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
If you're worried, perhaps it would be a good idea to invest in a plain book cover that will obfuscate the tome's title.
I agree, I had a thick sales booklet of the 777-300ER that Boeing gives to their customers. I was on the plane in Int'l FC reading it. An f/a brought security on the plane and I had to show them my business card and explain why I had it. They called the VP of Sales of No. America at Boeing to confirm it was ok for me to have the booklet. Awful and a little jarring.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:46 am

If you want to carry some reading material through the checkpoint I thoroughly recommend this

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Constit.../dp/0880801441

I guarantee that the TSA will never recognize it.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:57 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by exerda
And they're full of it if you ask me. I've watched my bags go through the x-ray on many occasions, and books are very plainly books, and appear much different than similarly-sized and otherwise-dense objects.

I've never had them look at a book despite always having at least one in my carry-on, either.
About 3 years ago, my carryon book (about 1000 pages, hardcover) was carefully inspected by the TSO at a checkpoint at DTW. She opened the book and fanned through the pages completely. I almost told her that if she was looking for pictures, she wouldn't find any, but instead just told her how stupid it was to look at a book.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Yes, for my copy of the TSA Aviation Security Management Standard Operating Procedures Booklet, Revision 3, which was confiscated over my objection and the police were called by the TSA.
Haha! Is there a thread on this? I'd love to hear more details.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.