Wiki Posts
Search

WTMD being removed in "favor" of MMW?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by shenxing
It seems unlikely that they would be completely removed. WTMDs are the only screening method for pilots and flight attendants plus children, the elderly, and those with an inability to use the NOS.
Ambulatory folks incapable of assuming and holding the position in the NoS don't get a free pass to the WTMD - it varies by airport, checkpoint and screener.

At PHX T2 (among others), TSOs and supervisors will pointedly tell you that if you are physically incapable of using the NoS, you are an 'opt out' and you will be groped and given a thorough bag search.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:29 pm

Thankfully, I haven't had any difficulties complaining about my sore shoulder in almost a year and a half.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Well, you're no longer being radiated as with backscatter, but you've got a 50/50 chance of having some screener's hands on some part of your body due to the MMW false alarm rate. Maybe the screeners rebelled at doing full pat downs of anyone who alarmed the WTMD so the TSA in its infinite wisdom decided to send those alarms through MMW. Maybe TSA realized that the ETD swabs are essentially useless. (I can dream, can't I?)

Strange though. WTMD alarms so the victim gets sent through MMW, which may not alarm thus allowing someone with some disallowed item onto a plane.

Wouldn't it be easier and faster to just bring back hand-held metal detectors to deal with WTMD alarms? Of course it would, but that's too easy for the TSA.
I've been told even teh MMW machines are bad. Met a guy who's company makes some of the components who told me they are still not safe and not to trust what TSA is stating or their junk research shows.

In this case WTMD did not alarm. I cleared it and after i was 7 feet away the "randometer" alarm beeped. I do forsee the Pre Precheck screening method will be used in the Pre lanes and some new enhanced more invasive screening method will be introduced for non pre qualified.

Thankfully, I haven't had any difficulties complaining about my sore shoulder in almost a year and a half.
They scanned me with my arm down. I already cleared the WTMD before i was randomly selected. I was already 7 feet away when it did the random selection beep. I was expecting a hand swab like usual.

The body scanner of course alerted on me since i had things in my pocket that are allowed in Precheck. No resolution patdown from that though.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
It seems unlikely that they would be completely removed. WTMDs are the only screening method for pilots and flight attendants plus children, the elderly, and those with an inability to use the NOS.
On the FA and Pilot topic, they've got Known Crewmember lanes at all of the major airports, and many smaller airports, which allow the crew to completely bypass the screening process (unless they get randomly selected, which I've never seen happen).

http://www.knowncrewmember.org/Pages/Airports.aspx
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:57 pm

Today, at ABQ, the long beep (random) sound went off on the WTMD at pre-check. I was told to go through the body scanner but opted out.

During the pat-down, I told the TSO that I thought the procedure for the random beep was having hands swabbed. I asked him when this changed and he told me recently (I think he said within the past few weeks). I asked him whether it was this way at all airports and he told me that he thought that this was the case everywhere now. This gave the implication that this is the new procedure but that it is gradually being rolled out to different airports.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by guflyer
Today, at ABQ, the long beep (random) sound went off on the WTMD at pre-check. I was told to go through the body scanner but opted out.

During the pat-down, I told the TSO that I thought the procedure for the random beep was having hands swabbed. I asked him when this changed and he told me recently (I think he said within the past few weeks). I asked him whether it was this way at all airports and he told me that he thought that this was the case everywhere now. This gave the implication that this is the new procedure but that it is gradually being rolled out to different airports.
Everyone thought i was crazy when i said it was going to happen but TSA did confirm this will be happening at "Select" checkpoints. I read that as it wil be appearing at every airport sooner or later

The following post is where the confirmation was
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23395140-post195.html
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:01 am

This isn't a shock unfortunately. Its definitely a bait and switch type of deal where TSA tries to get everyone to sign up for Pre-Check saying go through a metal detector, keep shoes/belt/etc on then changes it and says MMW will be used on random people. Of course that's how the introduction of the body scanners were advertised in the first place (as secondary to WTMD) and look what happened.

What happens when one opts out in this situation? Do they let you keep your belt and shoes on? Is the opt out any different than a standard one in the regular line?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
A lot more corrupt people make a lot more $$$ off NoS machines than off reused swabs, it's that simple.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
A lot more corrupt people make a lot more $$$ off NoS machines than off reused swabs, it's that simple.
@:-) You are the winner!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:27 pm

To answer the question about opting out in this situation, I think they had me take my shoes and belt off. I actually offered to take my belt off first thinking that it had alarmed the WTMD and that this was the reason that they wanted me to go through the body scanner. They then told me to empty everything out of my pockets (they had not been emptied as usually you only need to avoid having metal when going through a precheck WTMD).

This felt like a regular opt-out experience. However, they did ask one of the TSOs to perform the "pat-down" really quickly instead of making me wait a few minutes. It may have been because it was precheck, or it may have been because an official wearing a tie (perhaps a three striper) was standing nearby and seemed to be watching this. They also seemed surprised that I was opting out, asking whether I knew that it would result in a pat-down. It was also far from the worst pat-down that I have had, but they seemed to be following all of the regular procedures.

Also to note--they still did not make me remover either my laptop or liquids from my carry-on bag.

I agree that this feels like it is "bait and switch." The reason that I signed up for precheck was specifically to avoid the body scanner. Now, I feel like precheck is not as much of an advantage anymore for this.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:43 pm

Did you have to leave your bags unattended on the conveyor belt, or did TSA collect them for you before the patdown?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:16 pm

The TSA collected my stuff for me so they were within my sight. Initially, they kept wanting me to step inside of the body scanner, but then someone told the clerk that kept saying this that I had already opted out.

Another interesting thing--another person two before me in line went through the body scanner. I was not sure whether he was selected randomly as well, had chosen to use the body scanner, or had set off the metal detector.

Does anyone have any idea how likely one is to set off the random alarm on the metal detector?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:00 pm

I signed up for GE primarily for the pre-check benefits, and flew recently out of PDX with precheck for the first time (didn't get randomly selected for scanner). It was great. I did see them fire up the body scanner for one individual in the pre-check line, but I also saw that person continually beep the WTMD three or four times, so I'm not sure what the issue was.

Then on the way back, TSA staff insisted I take my netbook out even though I'm supposedly able to keep it in my bag (whether I have precheck or not, but I did have it on this leg too). The inconsistency is maddening. Last time I kept it in my bag going through normal screening, they said it 'looked like a laptop', and thus had to be taken out and re-screened. Sigh. But I can deal with that a lot better than the uncertainty of whether or not I'm going to get a full body patdown everytime I fly.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP

I got the long beep at LGA yesterday (Terminal B, Concourse D), and they did a hand-swab, which surprised me because recently I've been seeing other long beep victims pushed toward the MMW scanner.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some of the persons granted PreCheck LLL outcomes have the potential to be so embarrassing to the government that it, in light of the supposed non-metal suicide bomber vest threat, seems to have factored that in to further displace WTMD with strip search machines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.