Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ABTC / APEC Business Travel Card — U.S. Policy Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABTC / APEC Business Travel Card — U.S. Policy Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 4:24 am

anybody have an eta on this please?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by patfaninba
anybody have an eta on this please?
Nope. It's only been almost a year since Obama signed it into law.

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 22, 2012 at 9:05 pm Reason: Removed OMNI/PR political comment. Take such to OMNI/PR please
Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
A reminder: Political argumentation and characterizations need to go to OMNI/PR.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
ABTC

When is this going to happen for U.S. citizens. It's been almost a year now since Congress passed this, and CBP hasn't done jack-sh!t.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours
When is this going to happen for U.S. citizens. It's been almost a year now since Congress passed this, and CBP hasn't done jack-sh!t.
Recently passed legislation now authorizes the United States to issue the APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) to eligible U.S. citizens. The cards will allow U.S. ABTC holders to receive expedited scheduling of visa interviews and access to fast-track immigration lanes at airports in APEC's 21 economies.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is working to implement the program as soon as possible. Once the ABTC production commences in the United States, information will be available at [email protected]

For further information contact:

CBP INFO Centre
General Inquiries: 1-877-CBP-5511
International Callers: (703) 526-4200
http://www.cbp.gov/

From here.

Sounds like wait some more to me. Nothing moves quickly at the federal government level unless it is to their advantage.

There are 21 economies currently participating in the ABTC Scheme: Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, China, Hong Kong (China), Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, PNG, Peru, the Philippines, Singapore, Chinese Taipei, Thailand and Vietnam. Canada, the Russian Federation and the United States are currently Transitional Members of the scheme, which allow cardholders from all participating economies to use 'fast-track' immigration lanes (currently designated for air-crew) at major international airports.
Looks like they accept it, but do not yet issue it. Good luck with that.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Since DHS has gotten more or less a "bipartisan" carte blanch to run this too in the manner DHS wishes, the non-performance delays are no surprise.

They want to exclude US citizens from participation even more frequently than US citizens are excluded from Global Entry.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:51 pm

APEC's travel and tourism (resultu of using and belonging to APEC) was worth 3.2 trillion smackaroos last year. I guess the good ole US of A doesn't want a share of that.

I'll be the first in line for that card. Would save lots of pages in my passport since the card is supposed to be the same as a visa (in full participating countries) but I'm sure the US will find a way to impose harsh conditions for all the others.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bluenotesro
APEC's travel and tourism (resultu of using and belonging to APEC) was worth 3.2 trillion smackaroos last year. I guess the good ole US of A doesn't want a share of that.

I'll be the first in line for that card. Would save lots of pages in my passport since the card is supposed to be the same as a visa (in full participating countries) but I'm sure the US will find a way to impose harsh conditions for all the others.
But, how long would it take for the TDC's to start accepting it?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bluenotesro

The US already accepted ABTC, which is why some US airports were supplied with signs that gave fast track passport control access at places like IAD.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:00 pm

Yes, the US accepts it but will they ever accept it in lieu of a visa for say, a Chinese businessman?

Probably never.

The idea of the card is to replace, according to APEC, a visa in full-participating countries. The US is not yet a fully participating country but I doubt the US will ever extend the same 'curtesies'.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Folks,
Please read the OP. We are talking about ABTC for U.S. citizens. Congress has passed this. The question is when will the CBP implement it.

US has allowed foreigners with ABTCs priority immigration clearance for several years. Thus the signs in the airport. This is nothing new and not what this thread is about.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 5khours
Folks,
Please read the OP. We are talking about ABTC for U.S. citizens. Congress has passed this. The question is when will the CBP implement it.

US has allowed foreigners with ABTCs priority immigration clearance for several years. Thus the signs in the airport. This is nothing new and not what this thread is about.
If only Congress were far more eager to really push DHS to implement it for US citizens sooner than later.

Like with TSA, this ABTC situation for US citizens is another DHS foot-dragging situation that arises from the "better 'safe' than sorry" CYA approach of those in position to get this implemented sooner ..... like yesterday ... but not really eager to have gotten it done already.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Almost a year has passed since the law authorizing issuance of ABTC travel cards to U.S. citizens was enacted, but it has yet to be implemented by the U.S. government.

But I won't comment on why that might or might not be.

It simply is.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
This is so bloody frustrating.

This has nothing to do with securing US borders...what we're talking about is giving US Passport holders (already semi-trusted travelers by virtue of their required GE status) the right to apply for a card which will make it easier to go to other countries!

Foreigners holding APEC cards already get to use the Diplomat/Crew queues when entering the US. If there was a risk to the US, it would be those people coming into the US....not Americans going overseas!!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Did you guys consider writing to your Congressman/woman to complain about it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.