Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ABTC / APEC Business Travel Card — U.S. Policy Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABTC / APEC Business Travel Card — U.S. Policy Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I assume we are still waiting....
Old May 2, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
I assume we are still waiting....
we are still waiting
Old May 11, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Any updates on this?
Sure. The update is that, as expected, more than six-months have elapsed since the legislation was enacted into law and absolutely nothing else has happened.

Government at its best.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:49 am

Still nothing.

I feel like I am in Casablanca waiting for transit papers to Lisbon. And waiting . . . and waiting . . .
Old May 18, 2012, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Still nothing.

I feel like I am in Casablanca waiting for transit papers to Lisbon. And waiting . . . and waiting . . .
But...but...you'll always have Paris!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:34 am

Another month and another, well, nothing . . .

Keep up the good work, Dept of Homeland "Security"
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:42 pm

Yet another month and still, well, absolutely nothing.

Why bother to pass the bill if you are not going to do anything to implement it?

Madness.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 25, 2012 at 7:55 am Reason: Removed political contention better suite for OMNI/PR
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Yet another month and still, well, absolutely nothing.

I guess Obama doesn't know or care that his own government is ignoring him.

[Removed quote of now-deleted OMNI/PR-type material]

Madness.
When you listen too much to DHS types -- what not with their big-budget "technology" and "biometrics" will "solve" the "problems" with "leaky borders" mantra -- the de facto "acceptance" of the dragging out of the process is anything but a surprise.

Unfortunately, no matter who is or will be our next nominal head of state/government, the outcome will be the same: deference to the "security"-complex bureaucrats and the army of government contractors. And none of them is in a rush to bowl over the bureaucrats and the contractors at the same time, as would be necessary to expedite this for operation this year.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 25, 2012 at 7:57 am Reason: Removed political contention more appropriate for OMNI/PR
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
This is a friggin' disgrace...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This is a friggin' disgrace...
It is indeed, unfortunately as expected.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
still waiting!
I was really looking forward to thism, it would help with China MRs!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Still waiting ...... waiting ........ waiting
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

As a member of UDCIB, my company recived the following update. In a nutshell, no dice yet.

Dear member:

As many of you are aware, the APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) was signed into law by President Obama during the final APEC meetings in Hawaii in November. USCIB and the associations which make up the US-APEC Business Coalition worked together to urge the passing of the bill so that members of the business community could participate in the ABTC program which expedites travel in the APEC region. Many USCIB members are interested in obtaining a card and using it to quickly pass through airports by using the fast-track APEC lanes in participating economies. The card allows multiple short-term entries and is valid for three years before it has to be renewed. Currently nineteen (now including the U.S.) of the twenty-one APEC economies participate in the program.

Currently Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is working on assessing the IT changes that would be required in order to allow a business traveler to combine the ABTC and online Global Entry application process. CBP is also determining the costs of these changes.

Actual implementation of the ABTC program cannot begin until there is agreement in Congress and passage of spending bills for the current fiscal year. Once that is worked out, DHS and CBP will have the authority to proceed with a “pilot” program as was done with the Global Entry program and begin issuing cards. Business travelers who would like to enroll in the ABTC program will have to also be successfully enrolled in the Global Entry program.

We encourage members who have not yet done so, to enroll in the Global Entry program (http://www.globalentry.gov/), as the process does take some time (online enrollment and an in-person interview with a CBP official).

If members are interested, USCIB is in a position to organize in-person interviews at our offices. A CBP official can come to the New York or Washington, DC office and conduct interviews for those who have already completed online enrollment. Please let me know if this is of interest to you.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:01 am

Here we are yet another month down the road and NOTHING.

So now I really can say, "Thanks for nothing."

Assuming the info posted by HowieG is accurate, the new budget year begins on October 1st. Can't imagine why I predict that October 1st will come and go with more NOTHING.

Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
I'm not sure if this is an update in terms of information, but the help item on CBP's site was last updated on 9/18: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1638

As another poster pointed out, the new fiscal year starts in a matter of weeks, so could this update be in preparation for that, or just wishful thinking?

Does anyone have any inside information on this? I tried one of my contacts working at the US embassy in China, but she hadn't even heard of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.