Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA agent arrested after drugs found inside SW Miami-Dade home

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA agent arrested after drugs found inside SW Miami-Dade home

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by eyecue
Another black eye for the TSA but you guys are relentless!
No agency is perfect in its hiring, retention and keeping employees out of situations like this because it is a human problem.
No, the drugs did not come from the check point surrendered or confiscated items.
No the BDO's would not have seen anything and you don't understand that program.
No, she wont be retrained and put back on the checkpoint, she well end up on the internal "wall of shame" that TSA has.
BTW the issue with high school diploma and GED as a condition of employment is misunderstood because it was ruled BEFORE TSA that having those things as a requirement for employment is illegal!
eyecue, given that TSA, like any organization of size, does sometimes employ 'bad apples' (or good people who go bad during the course of their employment), wouldn't it be appropriate for BDOs to also monitor TSOs from time to time?

Not all pax who exhibit 'suspicious behavior' are guilty of something TSA needs to worry about; not all TSOs who exhibit nervous behavior are guilty of something either, but some of them might be and it benefits everyone to weed them out of the workforce, wouldn't you agree?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:59 am

No agency is perfect in its hiring, retention and keeping employees out of situations like this because it is a human problem.
I've been a DOJ employee for 17 years, and I don't know of a single one of our employees who has been found selling drugs out of their home. TSA, OTOH, has had how many?

Your agency hires people attracted from ads on pizza poxes, you undertake cursory background investigations, and you're surprised you have so many people that have no business working for the government in a security capacity?

Don't paint the rest of us with your stained brush.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:59 pm

I'm on record multiple times here in TS&S as being opposed to the schadenfreude that occurs in situations like this.

However ...

TSA seems to spend considerable effort in publicly praising its employees who perform notable acts of public service while acting as private citizens. Each time it does so, TSA invites the scorn it receives when its employees perform ignoble acts while acting as private citizens.

If TSA wants to align itself with the private actions of its employees, it has to align itself with all of them --- good, bad, and ugly.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I'm on record multiple times here in TS&S as being opposed to the schadenfreude that occurs in situations like this.

However ...

TSA seems to spend considerable effort in publicly praising its employees who perform notable acts of public service while acting as private citizens. Each time it does so, TSA invites the scorn it receives when its employees perform ignoble acts while acting as private citizens.

If TSA wants to align itself with the private actions of its employees, it has to align itself with all of them --- good, bad, and ugly.
+1

I meant to post earlier: I have seen no evidence that she used her position as a TSO to facilitate her drug dealings in any way.

However, as you point out, no employer can or should have it both ways: publicly trumpet the private, personal accomplishments of its employees while declaring private, personal law-breaking activities off-limits.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Even beyond trumpeting actions of its employees TSA has gone and stated that these problem employees are a minimal part of those at TSA. When you look at report after report after report after report of TSOs abusing power or misconduct on the job and outside of the job during employment your word becomes nothing. Which means your words mean nothing to the public. You can't win trust while betraying the public trust.

Originally Posted by chollie
+1

I meant to post earlier: I have seen no evidence that she used her position as a TSO to facilitate her drug dealings in any way.

However, as you point out, no employer can or should have it both ways: publicly trumpet the private, personal accomplishments of its employees while declaring private, personal law-breaking activities off-limits.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by halls120
I've been a DOJ employee for 17 years, and I don't know of a single one of our employees who has been found selling drugs out of their home. TSA, OTOH, has had how many?

Your agency hires people attracted from ads on pizza poxes, you undertake cursory background investigations, and you're surprised you have so many people that have no business working for the government in a security capacity?

Don't paint the rest of us with your stained brush.
The agency that has messed up background checks for its employees wants passengers to be screened based on messed up background checks too. That's the large part of why this kind of topic is of such interest to me.

If the TSA got out of the passenger background checking and ID obsession game and if it stopped playing Junior Officer Friendly cop wannabe at the airport screening checkpoints, then the TSA could have more of a chance to focus on real problems in its own rank and file and better focus on contraband WEI interdiction. As long as the TSA remains distracted by obsessing about passenger ID and passenger background checking, these kind of TSA news items are going to keep getting at least some of the attention they deserve.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:51 pm

No agency is perfect in its hiring, retention and keeping employees out of situations like this because it is a human problem....
Or maybe TSA is too big to manage itself.

Or maybe TSA wastes its resources on the inconsequential.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Even beyond trumpeting actions of its employees TSA has gone and stated that these problem employees are a minimal part of those at TSA. When you look at report after report after report after report of TSOs abusing power or misconduct on the job and outside of the job during employment your word becomes nothing. Which means your words mean nothing to the public. You can't win trust while betraying the public trust.
And, right from the beginning, they kept asserting that they were God's gift to the War on Terror and that the survival of the country was their responsibility. They brought this on themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.