Wiki Posts
Search

Very loose security at LAX...?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Actually, I think TSA was directed by Congress to have 75% of passengers going through PreCheck by the end of 2014.
Close. TSA has set an internal goal of moving 85% of pax through PC by the end of 2015. A lot of this is premised on meeting higher goals for enrollment in GE / TSA Pre. If the latter doesn't happen, the 85% goes down.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by markraby
So I flew out of LAX a few days ago. I am a lowly Silver Medallion, so I was fully prepared to just go through the general security line, but they had a TSA agent looking at everyone's boarding pass and directing them to the correct line. To my surprise, she motioned me (and my non-elite companion) to what I assumed was the Sky Priority line.

Where I ended up, with about five people in front of me, there were no bins. I was quite confused especially as I saw the people in front of me go through a simple metal detector (not the full body scanner that the "normies" were using), without taking off their shoes or taking anything -- laptops, etc -- out of their bags. My companion and I had the same treatment.

As an exclusive post-9/11 flyer, this was the simplest and most stress-free security experience I've ever had. I'm certainly not complaining, but was this correct procedure? Is this actually the way Sky Priority security at LAX works? Especially with a companion who has no status?

(P.S. Ironically, LAX is the only airport where I've ever been "randomly selected for secondary screening" so this was a nice surprise!)
Nothing 'loose'-you were randomized to Pre-Check; there are multiple threads about this in the TS&S forum(s).

Please remember, in the rest of the world this is normal-it is only flights to/from/within the US that are subject to the TSA security theater.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by markraby
Where I ended up, with about five people in front of me, there were no bins.
This is the part of your post that I found recently for the first time . . . .

When I flew out of MDW recently, they have the "regular" PreChek line, for people who actually havit on their boarding pass, then, there's a second line for the people who are randomly selected when they arrive at the checkpoint.

Right about where they merged, but closer to the "randomly selected" line, there was a TSA officer (hawker) calling out all of the rules to people - no shoes off, no laptops out, etc. He specifically mentioned that there were NO BINS in this line . Seemed odd to me. There have always been bins at every other airport before, and I usually have tons of stuff in my pockets - 2 phones, thick silver chain necklace, belt that always alarms, etc. They DID have the tiny round bins, and I was able to make do with 2 of them, it just seemed weird to me.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:26 pm
Company Representative, TSA

What you saw is our managed inclusion program.

Since you don't need to remove as many items in TSA Precheck, we try to limit the number of large bins in the vicinity. We have done analysis that those large bins slow down the line.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels

When I flew out of MDW recently, they have the "regular" PreChek line, for people who actually havit on their boarding pass, then, there's a second line for the people who are randomly selected when they arrive at the checkpoint.

Right about where they merged, but closer to the "randomly selected" line, there was a TSA officer (hawker) calling out all of the rules to people - no shoes off, no laptops out, etc. He specifically mentioned that there were NO BINS in this line . Seemed odd to me. There have always been bins at every other airport before, and I usually have tons of stuff in my pockets - 2 phones, thick silver chain necklace, belt that always alarms, etc. They DID have the tiny round bins, and I was able to make do with 2 of them, it just seemed weird to me.

Any thoughts?
The big bins were oringally intended for laptops, shoes, outerwear, & the scary toothpaste. The dog food bowls were oringally intended for airport workers & flight crews use since the crews, especially, did not have to take out laptops, etc. The TSA a at some airports still make the big bins available, even at the PC lanes (the PC-lite airports, of course, still have them readily available) but others go to great lengths to keep them away from pax. If the pax aren't using the bins, then the screeners manning that lane don't have to pick up the bins in the exit side. This, of course, then frees up even more screeners for the equally pointless hand swabbing & gate searches
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by TSAPressSec

Since you don't need to remove as many items in TSA Precheck, we try to limit the number of large bins in the vicinity. We have done analysis that those large bins slow down the line.
Not nearly as much as the NoS' do! Funny how you never see lines of pax 6/8/10 deep waiting to go thru the WTMD like you do w/the NoS...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:59 pm

My last time using the PreCheck lane at MCO (on the 17th) had an older TSO announcing every few seconds, while passing the trays and bags through into the Xray "You are in PreCheck! Keep your shoes on, your belt on, laptops and liquids in your bag. You are in PreCheck!" whether this was advertising or (more likely) trying to speed things up because of the ignorant leisure travelers.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by opethfan
My last time using the PreCheck lane at MCO (on the 17th) had an older TSO announcing every few seconds, while passing the trays and bags through into the Xray "You are in PreCheck! Keep your shoes on, your belt on, laptops and liquids in your bag. You are in PreCheck!" whether this was advertising or (more likely) trying to speed things up because of the ignorant leisure travelers.
You can't really blame the pax-they have been yelled at & harassed by those very same screeners for the past 12+ yrs for NOT taking off shoes/jackets/belts or taking out laptops & toothpaste. Now suddenly they get shuffled into a different lane, w/different rules, but are still yelled at anyway. Then you have a real PC airport vs. the PC 'lite' airports so odds are the pax is still going to get yelled at by a screener anyway no matter what s/he does (which, in TSA's world, means 'mission accomplished').
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by txrus
Nothing 'loose'-you were randomized to Pre-Check; there are multiple threads about this in the TS&S forum(s).

Please remember, in the rest of the world this is normal-it is only flights to/from/within the US that are subject to the TSA security theater.
This. In the rest of the world, screening focuses mostly on actual threats to the airplane.

It does not focus on IDs, large sums of cash, drugs, flash cards and reading material in different languages, medical nitro pills, artfully disguised $83 clear glass bottles of perfume that look like a grenade in a screener's fantasy, sock monkey 2" toy guns...

It would be very interesting to see stats for the items confiscated at airports around the world at the checkpoint. Real numbers to correspond to the artfully fabricated numbers TSA publishes every week.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:14 pm

I've had this happen at ATL and EWR. Both times I didn't have to take off my shoes, laptop, etc or remove small metal items from my pockets. However, on both occasions no one ever told me this was the precheck line. So I had no idea I didn't have to go through the whole process. It felt like I spent more time asking the agent what I needed to take out (coins? belt? cell phone? wallet?) than if I had just dumped everything in my pockets into a tray. I'm sure others were confused.

Also, at EWR I was allowed into the special line while my husband wasn't. He was behind me, and no one audibly told me we were being separated. It wasn't until I was loading my items onto the belt that I realized he wasn't behind me anymore. But since no one told me what was going on, I got through security a full 10 minutes before him and couldn't see him anywhere. I know he hates flying and panics when anything doesn't go smoothly, so he was probably worrying about me while I was worrying he'd be freaking out. For all I knew he was taken for a private security screening and I had no way of knowing that. I was on the verge of asking an airport employee to page him when I saw him ~20 people back before the scanner.

ETA: I put in a complaint to the TSA about my experience. I got a response today. It was a form letter giving me information about the Pre Check program. It didn't address my complaint at all. They really don't care.

Last edited by tornado163; Jun 25, 2014 at 8:10 am
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by davetravels

Any thoughts?
Leaving aside the PreCheck issues, it's usually a good idea to empty your pockets before you even get to the c/p, and put all of your loose items into a locked compartment of your carry-on for your own personal security. Putting any loose, small items of value in those bins risks theft or accidental loss/damage, both from fellow travelers and from sticky-fingered TSOs.

If you don't get selected for PreCheck, you're going to have to empty everything from your pockets. If you do get selected for PreCheck, you're still going to have to empty at least any large metal items which might alarm the WTMD (phone, keys, etc). So I always empty my pockets well in advance, because no matter what, I will need to empty at least SOME of the stuff, and it's not a big deal at that point to just go the distance and empty it all.

Also, I prefer to not empty my pockets in the middle of a terminal, in full view of any potential pick-pockets who could suddenly develop a hankerin' for my wallet or any cash I might be carrying. Ditto for re-loading my pockets post-security. I consider it prudent to not wave my money and other pocket contents around any more than is absolutely necessary when in public.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by tornado163
ETA: I put in a complaint to the TSA about my experience. I got a response today. It was a form letter giving me information about the Pre Check program. It didn't address my complaint at all. They really don't care.
No, they don't. It's nearly pointless to file a complaint. Most complaints get generic, CYA, responses, some get responses that aren't relevant(yours), the rest don't get responses.

The only thing the TSA cares about is it's budget, which just so happens to be getting an increase due to the newly implemented TSA fee increase on tickets.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by jtodd
The only thing the TSA cares about is it's budget, which just so happens to be getting an increase due to the newly implemented TSA fee increase on tickets.
TSA should work within its budget, not demand more, even if that means downsizing.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I'd imagine the 75% number isn't as hard to meet as one thinks. If you include all of the airline elites, TTs and some "randoms", you end up with a larger number.

Originally Posted by WIRunner
This is not loose security, this would be more along the lines of flying with dignity.

But alas, it is just Precheck.
Yup. Its not loose security at all.

Large bins don't do nearly as much to slow down a line as naked machines do. Further, it is often easier to put one's smaller metal items (phone, keys, coins, etc.) in a jacket pocket and send that through the machine. That actually speeds the process.

Originally Posted by txrus
Not nearly as much as the NoS' do! Funny how you never see lines of pax 6/8/10 deep waiting to go thru the WTMD like you do w/the NoS...
Exactly.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:24 am

TSA has done an analysis of large bins vs. smaller bins but apparently doesn't do an analysis of WBI false alarms and resultants pat downs?

TSA doesn't analyze WBI false alarms

The above report is also informative in that it advises us that:

At approximately half of the nation’s airports where Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) machines with Automated Target Recognition (ATR) software are used, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) does not conduct mandatory weekly Improvised Explosive Device drills because TSA does not know what office is responsible for enforcing the directive, according to a recent federal audit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.