Search

US visa in expired passport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
US visa in expired passport

I have been travelling regularly to the US for 30 years or so, always on a visa and without an ESTA.

I just renewed my UK passport. My current B1/B2 visa expires in 2015. Will that be sufficient for my next US trip?

In a similar situation in the past, the agent wrote VIOPP (visa in old passport) and everything was fine. I'm asking now because that predated TSA systems such as fingerprinting and photographing and the system may have been 'enhanced'.

Forgive me while I quietly remember my original non-expiring visa valid for unlimited applications for entry ...
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue
No problem

Up to last year I used to have my US Visa in my expired passport and had no problems with CBP when entering the USA. Not sure what they marked but they wrote something on the stamp that I assumed indicated that my Visa was in the expired passport.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yes, it is fine.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Just curious, any benefit to applying for the visa instead of using ESTA?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Thanks, sfdaw and Silver Fox. I'm reassured.

zainman: in my case, I have a B1/B2 visa. I think it's the B1 that lets me work for a foreign employer when visiting the US and the B2 lets me in for leisure.

Typically, I'm allowed a stay of up to 6 months with the visa as against up to 3 months with ESTA. And the immigration experience is less strenuous.

Mind you, it was even less strenuous when I had a valid INSPASS. It was good while it lasted, with potentially no human intervention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.