Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling domestically with $15K USD.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
This comment is offensive. To Barney Fife.
That is true actually. Barney Fife had a strong sense of duty and public service - and great personal courage. Maybe it would have been better to say "clerks are cardboard caricatures of Barney Fife".
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by halls120
It was wrong then, and it is wrong today. Unfortunately, TSA doesn't feel inclined to follow the law.

Because TSA doesn't feel the need to stay in their own lane.

A few years after TSA was created, a close friend of mine in the DHS OGC and I were chatting, and the friend had to cut our conversation short with the following apology - "sorry, I have to go over to TSA HQ this afternoon and remind them that there is a document called the Constitution, and that they are required to comply with it."
Your friend's reminders seem to have been in vain. But kudos to him for making the effort, doomed though it may have been to failure.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by TSAPressSec
We posted this many years ago, and it still stands today.

If we have a concern, will contact law enforcement and/or the National Bulk Cash Smuggling Center for further investigation.
OK, but that was posted in April 2009, and the Bierfeldt case (The "St Louis incident" referred to in the post) was settled, with TSA vowing to change their policy, in November 2009. Are you saying that TSA has NOT changed the policy in accordance with the Bierfeldt settlement? Where is the updated policy reflecting the settlement?
Originally Posted by TSAPressSec
Each day, we come across bulk cash at checkpoints nationwide. But when discovered, we do refer these matters directly to law enforcement to investigate. Specifically, either local law enforcement, ICE's Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) or CBP. They will then determine what law enforcement action, if any, should be taken.
Wow, I guess we need to contact Campaign For Liberty and the ACLU and tell them that TSA has NOT implemented any changes as per the court settlement.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:07 am

Seems this experiment is turning out to be nothing but TSA Blog II.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by petaluma1
You didn't really expect someone whose screen name is "TSAPressSec" to do anything less than repeat the party line, did you?

I'd rather talk to <deleted>. I disagree with him a lot, but at least he thinks for himself and sometimes disagrees with his employer, and seems to have a more reasonable attitude toward travelers than some of the other TSOs who have posted here in the past.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 2:59 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by janetdoe

Wow, I guess we need to contact Campaign For Liberty and the ACLU and tell them that TSA has NOT implemented any changes as per the court settlement.
^^
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

And you are surprised?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by halls120
And you are surprised?
I did have hopes. But my answer is "no."
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I hope not. It's still early in the experiment and I'll give him some time, since this isn't his only job.

Mike
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mikeef
I hope not. It's still early in the experiment and I'll give him some time, since this isn't his only job.

Mike
This.

In his job, he should have ready access to people who can answer any and all questions, even if he can't necessarily share those answers with us. He doesn't say he ever actually trained as or worked as a screener, so it's quite possibly frequent flyers know more about some things than he does, simply based on experience (the 'name game', for example).

I say he 'should' have ready access to people who can answer questions, but that doesn't mean he does. IMHO, there's no reason there isn't a 'final authority' who can provide specific answers to any TSO in real time, but even <deleted> was unable to get an answer about nitro pills. I think the results of his efforts were that on the perpetually out-of-date website, 'can I take this?' now recognizes 'nitro pills'. It still doesn't provide an answer of course - it cites the medical rules, does not address the 'zero tolerance for some substances' rules, and still leaves the matter up to any individual TSO.

Ultimately, we have to remember that the official line is that virtually anything is up to the judgment of the individual screener, and quite often the most honest answer is going to be "that's not supposed to happen" or "That's not the way I would handle it, but...<shrug>".

Not "That's not supposed to happen, and we will work to ensure that it does not happen again".

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 3:00 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by chollie
I say he 'should' have ready access to people who can answer questions, but that doesn't mean he does. IMHO, there's no reason there isn't a 'final authority' who can provide specific answers to any TSO in real time, but even <deleted> was unable to get an answer about nitro pills..

Ultimately, we have to remember that the official line is that virtually anything is up to the judgment of the individual screener, and quite often the most honest answer is going to be "that's not supposed to happen" or "That's not the way I would handle it, but...<shrug>".
You hit it right on the nose. There is no official line. Just like the spoon. There is no spoon.

Ross seems to be a good guy (and possibly a masochist) who wants to help.

Mike

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 3:00 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Because that's their real mission.
Bingo!

Kind of absurd that TSA will call the cops on anyone carrying bulk cash - there are many legitimate reasons to carry cash and the vast majority who do so are not in the illegal narcotics business or violating AML.

A better procedure would be to require TSA to file SAR forms similar to banks, rather than to detain every traveler. But of course it's more fun for TSA to pretend they are really LEOs and no doubt they are rewarded for every bust.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Boraxo
A better procedure would be to require TSA to file SAR forms similar to banks, rather than to detain every traveler. But of course it's more fun for TSA to pretend they are really LEOs and no doubt they are rewarded for every bust.
NO! TSA is not there to check for money, only WEI. They should have zero interest in any money found, and a procedure which encourages them to report would be evil.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by janetdoe
NO! TSA is not there to check for money, only WEI. They should have zero interest in any money found, and a procedure which encourages them to report would be evil.
I am not endorsing this role but suggesting a lesser of 2 evils. They are already encouraged to report money that should be obvious to you.

It's similar to adding precheck lines. Adding something that improves the program is not an endorsement of the program, but rather making it less onerous for those of us who are subject to it.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by mikeef
You hit it right on the nose. There is no official line. Just like the spoon. There is no spoon.

Ross seems to be a good guy (and possibly a masochist) who wants to help.

Mike
I'm willing to give him time; I'm willing to play nice and so on and so on. But ultimately, even if he's a good guy with the best intentions in the world, he cannot, by definition, "help."

He could, for example, tell us that chollie's nitro pills ARE absolutely permitted without qualification. But the next time chollie runs into a power-hungry clerk who insist that they are NOT permitted (and you know that's going to happen), Ross is just some guy on a bulletin board who typed some stuff. Or "the rules have changed." Or "we have the authority to be more stringent here."

He has already used the well-worn line that we've heard from <deleted> and others that "that shouldn't happen." Of course it shouldn't; but it does. What can Ross do about it?

The problem is not that, up until now, we haven't been able to ask questions about TSA's policies. The problem is not that, up until now, we haven't had a TSA website that purports to answer the questions. The problem is that there is a gigantic abyss between what the TSA says "should" happen and what passengers encounter at a particular checkpoint on a particular day. Whether is gap is by design - TSA don't want to have clear rules and be consistent - or by lack of control - TSA management cannot get its screeners to follow rules consistently - doesn't matter in practice.

The only thing that could address that HERE is to have someone from TSA who is not simply a "press secretary", but someone who has authority to go back to HQ and say "this policy isn't consistent" or "this rule is being ignored" and then get it changed in the field and create consequences for checkpoints that don't comply. I'm not holding my breath.

TL;DR Anything Ross presents as "the rules" can be contradicted, without consequence, by any TSA screener at any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.