Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling domestically with $15K USD.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:13 am
Company Representative, TSA

Each day, we come across bulk cash at checkpoints nationwide. But when discovered, we do refer these matters directly to law enforcement to investigate. Specifically, either local law enforcement, ICE's Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) or CBP. They will then determine what law enforcement action, if any, should be taken.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by TSAPressSec
Each day, we come across bulk cash at checkpoints nationwide. But when discovered, we do refer these matters directly to law enforcement to investigate. Specifically, either local law enforcement, ICE's Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) or CBP. They will then determine what law enforcement action, if any, should be taken.
Why would you refer someone that is carrying their own property to law enforcement?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'm confused. I don't understand how that works with what is stated in your link.

Since it's SOP to refer all 'bulk cash' (sounds impressive, but it could include a wad that fits in a man's pocket or <$5000 in a tin box) to LE, then I don't see the purpose of a TSO questioning the pax. What difference does it make if a pax is 'cooperative and forthcoming in responding'? The TSO is not authorized to make a determination, only to summon LE.

As someone has noted, a pax could load up on pre-loaded cards. Are pre-loaded cards also cause for suspicion and summoning of LE?

For the record, this specific issue doesn't affect me personally for two reasons.

1) I don't travel with lost of cash.
2) No one is more compliant than me at a checkpoint, regardless of the behavior of a TSO. I "sir" and "ma'am" everyone, do whatever I'm told, eyes down, voice quiet, complete respect.

I have my own personal issues, but this is not one of them. The only reason it interests me is because it's an example of documented inconsistencies. Like many people, I really really do want to 'fly today' when I go to the airport, I don't want problems, I just want to know what's expected, what the rules are, what I can and cannot do.

I got written up and got a very very threatening lecture because of confusing rules about this.

Last edited by chollie; Jun 21, 2014 at 2:38 pm
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
We posted this many years ago, and it still stands today.

If we have a concern, will contact law enforcement and/or the National Bulk Cash Smuggling Center for further investigation.
But what constitutes "suspicion/concern" and who is the judge of that? I have in the past routinely traveled SFO-LAS with $10-$15k in cash and to me, based on the destination AND that it is a domestic flight AND where there are no reporting requirements (i.e. FinCen form #104 for international flights), I don't see how and why a TSO would refer this matter to a LEO. Now as to an international flight, I still do not think it falls under the TSA's realm as they (The TSA) are not CBP and it is the job of CBP NOT the TSA to investigate-and with that, If I as a pax properly declare that I am traveling with greater than $10k in currency or currency equivalent to CBP, it's a done deal at that point but if I d do not declare it, it's on me and between me and CBP, not the TSA. The TSA's job regarding pax is to keep prohibited items from entering the secure area to allow only properly identified pax to enter the secure area and that's it
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blogndog
Why would you refer someone that is carrying their own property to law enforcement?
Because that's their real mission.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:56 pm

This is very scary. It sounds like one could be challenged to prove ownership to TSA/LE's satisfaction of anything one carries through the checkpoint - or face missing a flight and confiscation of that property.

Couldn't the same rule apply to someone taking 10 Rolexes or two dozen pre-loaded cards through security?

I was behind a flight crew once, I think possibly KE folks. They had shopping bags with multiple laptops. The TSO stopped the belt, had them take all the laptops out of their bags, then grilled them about where they'd bought them, why they had so many, how much they'd paid for them, etc. Fortunately for them, she allowed them to pass without summoning LEs.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
because bulk cash is obviously a weapon, explosive or incendiary and is therefore a threat to aviation security. Duh.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
because bulk cash is obviously a weapon, explosive or incendiary and is therefore a threat to aviation security. Duh.
After looking at the 'Bulk Cash' link, I'm surprised TSA doesn't publish the rules for the public - on the website and at the checkpoint.

You have to take out all 'bulk cash', declare it and subject it to additional screening, just like you do medical liquids >3.4 ounces. Otherwise, if it is detected and you haven't declared it in advance, you are guilty of 'artful concealment'.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:38 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by chollie
After looking at the 'Bulk Cash' link, I'm surprised TSA doesn't publish the rules for the public - on the website and at the checkpoint.

You have to take out all 'bulk cash', declare it and subject it to additional screening, just like you do medical liquids >3.4 ounces. Otherwise, if it is detected and you haven't declared it in advance, you are guilty of 'artful concealment'.
Bolding mine: And then it might (n.b. might) be included in the highly accurate weekly spin by the TSA
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: And then it might (n.b. might) be included in the highly accurate weekly spin by the TSA
Because in this day and age, with all the signage and barking and the TSA website, there is simply no excuse for someone approaching a checkpoint and not knowing that a wad of cash has to be declared and cleared.

Even a first-time or infrequent flyer has no excuse for not knowing this.

I wonder if 'bulk cash' covers rolls of coins? Artfully disguised in their little paper wrappers.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
But if you do that, you're conducting an unconstitutional inquiry that goes beyond the bounds of an administrative search. Why are your clerks doing this? Who instructed them to do it? It isn't as if they have such great enough powers of concentration to look out for cash and explosives at the same time.

What are you going to say to the public if a crafty band of terrorists takes advantage of the fact that your clerks see themselves the same way Barney Fife saw himself and use "bulk cash" to distract your clerks from doing their jobs and use their inattention to sneak a nuclear bomb onto an airplane?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Because in this day and age, with all the signage and barking and the TSA website, there is simply no excuse for someone approaching a checkpoint and not knowing that a wad of cash has to be declared and cleared.
On what grounds? TSA is authorized to search for "weapons and explosives", period, exclusively.

CBP has almost unlimited authority to search and question people who are entering or exiting the country, including about cash, but TSA is expressly prohibited from engaging in any "law enforcement motivated search".

Unless they're claiming that cash is a weapon or explosive…?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

If we have a concern, will contact law enforcement and/or the National Bulk Cash Smuggling Center for further investigation.
Yeah, you posted it years ago, and it's just as useless, wrong, and un-Constitutional today.

1) Francine never answered the direct question: Is a traveler required by law to answer a TSO's questions about bulk cash? If so, cite the law.

2) WHY does TSA consider bulk cash to be evidence of possible illegal activity requiring notification of law enforcement? Carrying large amounts of cash when traveling is not suspicious, it's not unusual, it's not atypical, and it's most certainly not illegal or illicit in any way, so why does TSA insist that it's somehow an indicator of potential criminal activity? Does TSA also call the cops any time someone transits a c/p wearing a $20,000 Rolex watch or a $5,000 H. Huntsman suit?

3) WHY does TSA even mention the declaration requirement for for cash over $10,000 when traveling internationally? This requirement is monitored entirely by CBP, who checks travelers AFTER the TSA security screening, so it's none of TSA's concern whatsoever.

Basically, your agency is wrong, it's breaking the law, and it's intentionally harassing travelers who carry bulk cash in an attempt to perform a strictly law enforcement function - to look for drug-related cash transactions.

I don't really expect a straight answer from you, but I'll continue to ask for them, because the American public has a right to transparent government that doesn't harass, oppress, or abuse them.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
What are you going to say to the public if a crafty band of terrorists takes advantage of the fact that your clerks see themselves the same way Barney Fife saw himself and use "bulk cash" to distract your clerks from doing their jobs and use their inattention to sneak a nuclear bomb onto an airplane?
This comment is offensive. To Barney Fife.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:51 am

It was wrong then, and it is wrong today. Unfortunately, TSA doesn't feel inclined to follow the law.

Because TSA doesn't feel the need to stay in their own lane.

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
But if you do that, you're conducting an unconstitutional inquiry that goes beyond the bounds of an administrative search. Why are your clerks doing this? Who instructed them to do it? It isn't as if they have such great enough powers of concentration to look out for cash and explosives at the same time.
A few years after TSA was created, a close friend of mine in the DHS OGC and I were chatting, and the friend had to cut our conversation short with the following apology - "sorry, I have to go over to TSA HQ this afternoon and remind them that there is a document called the Constitution, and that they are required to comply with it."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.