Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Selected for Special Screening? What a joke!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Selected for Special Screening? What a joke!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by captiveguru
Now sitting near the gate. T-15 minutes to boarding her name is called. She is told her BP was not properly stamped by TSA. The gate agent says she has to go back to TSA.
So what was the super special decoder stamp that the TSA put on the BP? One their typical squiggles?

I have been temped to put a bunch of random squiggles on my BP before giving it to the TDC.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jun 6, 2014 at 1:30 pm
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:08 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

The new home for this discussion is now the Checkpoint and Borders Policy Debate forum, as the topic has little to do with Delta Air Lines or the SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I haven't seen SSSS since 2008 when I was on an AA or UA flight in the old IND airport. I didn't have it on my original boarding pass but I was called up by the GA and told that there was no way I was going to make my connection in ORD so they put me on a direct NWA flight. She handed my boarding pass and I had to go through security again to get to the NWA gate. That's when the TSA agent pointed out the SSSS and said I needed extra screening. I told him I had just went through security once already. He told me I was randomly chosen for extra scrutiny. I said that was illogical and he smiled and shrugged his shoulders. It hasn't happened since (knock on wood).
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HDQDD
When they put SSSS and pre-check *on* the BP, you really don't have to "guess". I'd say the vast majority of the flying population knows what those mean.
No, the vast majority of the FT population know what those mean, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of the flying public have absolutely no idea what those mean.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:33 pm

Am I the only one who questions the effectiveness of this process?
No, and it is our duty and obligation as good citizens and / or residents
to point out the deficiencies.

They spend more time looking at my documents, luggage and scanner
pictures than they do making and holding direct eye contact with me
while asking some questions.

So we are all like unwilling participants in this gigantic theater production
that no one wants to be part of... yet they claim it is working given the
items seized and lack of incidents.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
It does not take a rocket surgeon to figure out the following.

Mrs. SSSS could give her 4oz lotion to her non-SSSS companion before approaching the TSA in the first place. Saying nothing about the "security breach" after the fact.

Duh!

I can not believe anyone with at least a 1st grade education thinks this makes any sense at all.
My thoughts exactly. Maybe we should be glad they did not decide to clear the terminal...
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
The new home for this discussion is now the Checkpoint and Borders Policy Debate forum, as the topic has little to do with Delta Air Lines or the SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Probably the right decision, but, for the record, I think the problem was caused by the Delta agent highlighting the "SSSS" on the BP for the connecting flight...
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I was in BOI a couple of weeks ago and the TSA came to the gate and did spot checking of luggage at boarding. I haven't seen that for years. Hopefully they aren't going to start doing that crap again.
Never stopped-there is a whole thread in this forum that has FT'er reports of on-going gate searches.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
TSA gate searches continue; while they declined in frequency, the TSA still used them as part of its dog and pony show routine for various flights at various airports. I've seen them done at ORD each and every year since the TSA was created.

Originally Posted by hkiaIndo
So if you're selected for SSSS, you're not allowed to complete OLCI?
That is the case, at least in the US or when flying on US airlines.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 6, 2014 at 11:33 pm
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I can not believe anyone with at least a 1st grade education thinks this makes any sense at all.
It is very sad that most TSOs really THINK they are helping defend the country.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
So I have been lucky enough to never receive the dreaded SSSS (odd given that my travel is primarily international, and often to/from the Middle East). Is it required to get a stamp on the BP from TSA after clearing the checkpoint for all SSSS boarding passes?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was on a return trip from ZRH (Zurich) to JFK [about 6 months ago]. I was at the airport the night before my flight; I printed my bp from one of the automated kiosks [instead of TSA Pre-Check, which I normally get, even for intl to the USA] I got SSSS. There is NO TSA in ZRH, but at the gate AA agents do "extra security" for the SSSS pax. [The agent who did that security had a printout of 15 (or so) names; mine was one of the RANDOMLY selected 15]. He did a minor hand check of my bag and pat-down of me. DHS has this program (at least from ZRH) for intl. to USA.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:13 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Mrs. Guru traveled with me this week. Checked in online for our return. Delta.com would not allow her to check in and suggested there might be a name mis-match. Called DM line to fix. Told the name was fine but she was randomly selected and would have to show her ID to get the BP.

Fine. Delta ticket counter prints BP, highlights the "SSSS", on the BP and tells her there will be additional screening.

Much to our surprise the credentials checker waves us both through and we proceed as normal through the TSA gauntlet.

Now sitting near the gate. T-15 minutes to boarding her name is called. She is told her BP was not properly stamped by TSA. The gate agent says she has to go back to TSA and they begin to walk in that direction. The GA then sends her back to our sitting area to collect her rollerboard. She returns about 10 minutes later after being patted down and having her carryons re-x-rayed.

Am I the only one who questions the effectiveness of this process?
How could GA (she has NOT yet seen your bp) know that it was not "properly stamped" by TSA? [The TSA bp id checkers, can scan bps; I don't think they can do much else re computer interaction.]
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
How could GA (she has NOT yet seen your bp) know that it was not "properly stamped" by TSA? [The TSA bp id checkers, can scan bps; I don't think they can do much else re computer interaction.]
I do not know. I actually had her BP with me and I was not at the gate when I heard her being paged. When I got back to the gate she had already been told by the GA that she had to go back to security. She and the GA headed in that direction. 30 seconds later she came back to gather the rest of her carry-ons.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:27 am

This happened to a former colleague of mine. Their flight was cancelled, and they were re-accommodated on another airline within same sterile concourse.

The new airline gave them SSSS. So even thought they had already been through security, they had to back to the checkpoint and repeat the process but with frisking, open bag inspection, and explosive detection swabs.

That obviously saved a lot of lives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.