Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hand grenade @ LAX halts flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by chollie
It is extraordinarily difficult to maintain a state of high-alert. It doesn't get any easier when one is simultaneously praised for and distracted by non-threats like large amounts of currency, drugs, and known non-threats. For that matter, I'm not so sure it wouldn't be a good idea to put the xray operators in booths somewhere so they're not distracted by conversations and general airport noise.
It is also extraordinarily difficult to maintain a state of high-alert when neither person with intent to destroy an aircraft nor object designed to do the same has ever been found in the entire history of the TSA.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by chollie

Reminds me of a regular poster here who travels with a lot of work-related gear in his carry-on. TSO was holding a piece of gear, purpose unknown, and suggesting it might be extremely dangerous - all the while, flipping a switch on the item he was holding.

It is extraordinarily difficult to maintain a state of high-alert. It doesn't get any easier when one is simultaneously praised for and distracted by non-threats like large amounts of currency, drugs, and known non-threats. For that matter, I'm not so sure it wouldn't be a good idea to put the xray operators in booths somewhere so they're not distracted by conversations and general airport noise.
"Hey <click>, this could be a bomb <click>! How do I know <click> this isn't going to blow up <click>?"

"Well, you've been clicking the switch the whole time you've been holding it. If it were capable of blowing up, you would certainly have blown it by now."

It is also extraordinary difficult to maintain a state of high alert with inadequate, inconsistent, and downright incompetent training.

And the fact that TSOs often engage in blatantly non-job activities on the job doesn't help.

IMHO, TSOs whould be prohibited from carrying PEDs on duty, except for issued devices directly related to the performance of their job, such as walkies and government phones. I've known many people whose jobs had such prohibitions, and none of them were in security positions like a TSO. I'm sure the union would jump all over that with the "Well, what if TSO Johnny's wife goes into labor or TSO Mary's sister is hit by a car or TSO Frankie's mother has a heart attack? How would their families contact them without their PEDs?"

The answer, of course, is to call the TSA office at their airport and have them paged via the PA or the government-issued equipment. You know, like people used to do prior to about 2000 or so when everyone over the age of 4 started getting cell phones.

If it's an emergency, they can be paged. If it's not an emergency, it can wait till end of shift.

But I suspect there are a lot of games of 2048 and Minesweeper going on that TSOs wouldn't want interrupted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.