Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA supervisor busted for having sex with underage girls in the Dominican Republic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA supervisor busted for having sex with underage girls in the Dominican Republic

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

NY Daily News Article

" A TSA supervisor was charged Friday with having sex with underage girls in the Dominican Republic, federal authorities said.

Vernon Lythcott was arrested on the jetway at Kennedy Airport as he was about to board a flight to the Dominican Republic - his second trip to the Caribbean island since January.

Lythcott, 48, of Brooklyn, paid two 15-year-old girls to have sex with him for $80, according to a complaint filed in Brooklyn Federal Court."

But... He had a background check! I wonder how many other victims of this TSA employee were assaulted/peeped at in the USA at his checkpoint? "Come with me... I need to do a "pat down"." "Please step into the scanner. Don't mind me and this USB drive."
Old May 10, 2014, 10:24 pm

He also acknowledged that someone had procured women for him to have sex with on about 45 trips and they were always older than 18.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Tyler Smith said in court that Lythcott was carrying $2,470 in U.S. currency and $750 in Dominican pesos when he was arrested.

The TSA suspended him without pay and will begin the process of terminating Lythcott from his $59,000-a-year job.
This guy must have substantial other income.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
Perhaps an eBay business for tablets, cell phones, laptops, ...?
Old May 11, 2014, 7:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by davie355
Lots of people in that income level who travel to LDCs have (US) $2,000 to $5,000 when going to/from a trip abroad.

What is the legal minimum age of consent for females in DR to engage in sexual relations with someone way older? In parts of Western/Norther Europe, even 14 or 15 year old minors can consent to legal sexual relation with those adults who are way older. I was rather shocked to find out some of the very low ages that are currently considered legitimate under the laws in Europe.
Old May 11, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Lots of people in that income level who travel to LDCs have (US) $2,000 to $5,000 when going to/from a trip abroad.

What is the legal minimum age of consent for females in DR to engage in sexual relations with someone way older? In parts of Western/Norther Europe, even 14 or 15 year old minors can consent to legal sexual relation with those adults who are way older. I was rather shocked to find out some of the very low ages that are currently considered legitimate under the laws in Europe.
But they're not considered acceptable for US citizens abroad even if local law permits it.

On the other hand, my understanding of the law is that it's based on travel with an intent to have such sex (thus an act committed on US soil), not the sex itself.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
But they're not considered acceptable for US citizens abroad even if local law permits it.

On the other hand, my understanding of the law is that it's based on travel with an intent to have such sex (thus an act committed on US soil), not the sex itself.
Illegal:

"(1) traveled with the intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct with a minor; (2) actually engaged in illicit sexual conduct with a minor in a foreign place; or (3) attempted or conspired to violate the statute"
For US persons including those who are neither US citizens not US residents but travel to/via/from the US and doing any of the three above on or with regard to the trip/plan.

Keep in mind that there are US dual-citizens resident abroad (some who don't even know they are US citizens) who have engaged in such sex and it can lead to some legal absurdities at least theoretically.

All said, can't say I fancy the US making private US citizens' actions outside of the US a potentially prosecutable offense that could result in a conviction when it's not a crime in the host jurisdiction where a sexual act takes place. I would rather the US attempt to get the laws changed in the foreign jurisdictions or enforced abroad if not told to just go pound sand.

Your first paragraph above may be considered inaccurate.

http://scholarlycommons.law.northwes...3&context=jclc is an interesting piece about the problems of
exploitation and how it is handled.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 11, 2014 at 12:30 pm
Old May 11, 2014, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by GUWonder

What is the legal minimum age of consent for females in DR to engage in sexual relations with someone way older?
It appears to be 18.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel

I think you will find you are (mostly) mistaken. It's (generally) not a crime in the US if it's legal at destination, but there are some limits on that at the US end. Underage at destination is a crime in the US even if it would have been legal in the US - eg. 17 in Dominican republic is illegal there but legal in, say, Missouri.
Old May 12, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here it is from the horse's orifice:

Prosecutorial Remedies and Other Tools to End the Exploitation of Children Today Act (PROTECT Act) and the Trafficking Victim's Protection Reauthorization Act.

In 2003, the United States strengthened its ability to fight child sex tourism by passing the Prosecutorial Remedies and Other Tools to End the Exploitation of Children Today Act (PROTECT Act) and the Trafficking Victim's Protection Reauthorization Act. These laws carry penalties of up to 30 years in prison for engaging in child sex tourism. In the nine years since these laws were strengthened, HSI special agents have arrested 93 suspects on child sex tourism charges.
Old May 12, 2014, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

In 2003, the United States strengthened its ability to fight child sex tourism by passing the Prosecutorial Remedies and Other Tools to End the Exploitation of Children Today Act (PROTECT Act) and the Trafficking Victim's Protection Reauthorization Act. These laws carry penalties of up to 30 years in prison for engaging in child sex tourism. In the nine years since these laws were strengthened, HSI special agents have arrested 93 suspects on child sex tourism charges.

Less than 10 criminals per year arrested, likely fewer prosecuted (successfully).

The cynic in me thinks that the optimists who think that the number of such child sex tourists is less than 10 per year are badly mistaken. However, that's the price the children pay when our scarce law enforcement and other government resources spend their time harassing others on much less serious "crime". (like trying to fly without being treated like a criminal)
Old May 13, 2014, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff

Less than 10 criminals per year arrested, likely fewer prosecuted (successfully).

The cynic in me thinks that the optimists who think that the number of such child sex tourists is less than 10 per year are badly mistaken. However, that's the price the children pay when our scarce law enforcement and other government resources spend their time harassing others on much less serious "crime". (like trying to fly without being treated like a criminal)
If I recall correctly, two of the criminals were TSA air marshals. It's worth having this law on the books just to get more TSA clerks off the streets!
Old May 13, 2014, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
If I recall correctly, two of the criminals were TSA air marshals. It's worth having this law on the books just to get more TSA clerks off the streets!
I agree.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much; If I recall correctly, two of the criminals were TSA air marshals. It's worth having this law on the books just to get more TSA clerks off the streets!
Wow! Over 2% of the perverts were TSA? Seems quite high considering all the occupations in the U.S.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by relangford
Wow! Over 2% of the perverts were TSA? Seems quite high considering all the occupations in the U.S.
When you add the ethics violation of using one's office for personal gain, I have absolutely no sympathy for these people.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I have no regards for what he did. He's trying to sex with 15-years old girl to Domininican Republic. This is sickening! He have to stop taking the young girls under the age of 15-years old. He have to be with his age. This is insane!

Good riddance to ex-TSA!!!
Old May 13, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff

Yeah. About all the law does is make people keep their heads down--you can't flaunt what you're doing. That's actually somewhat useful, it makes people have to be careful about sharing advice etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.