Wiki Posts
Search

Frozen liquid is still a liquid?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Frozen liquid is still a liquid?

Last week DFW TSA informed me I could not bring frozen breastmilk in quantities greater than 3 oz through security. Ignoring the fact that "reasonable quantities" of breastmilk, formula, and juice for children above 3 oz are permitted through security, I assume in liquid form, since when are frozen materials not permitted?

I can't figure out if a lot has changed in the six months I haven't flown, or, you know, nothing has.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:09 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Understanding the states of matter is well beyond the intelligence level of the TSA.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Frozen items are permitted as long as they are solid and in a “frozen state” when presented for screening. Cooling liquids or gels used to keep medical or infant/child exemptions cold are not bound by 3-1-1 requirements. These items may be presented at the screening checkpoint in a frozen or partially-frozen state. It is important to remember that any item must be properly screened before being allowed into the secure area of the airport.
From here, but as we have been told the web site is out of date.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
From here, but as we have been told the web site is out of date.
Ha!

It just seems that frozen anything shouldn't be subject to their liquid rules? I seem to remember someone here claiming he took frozen bottled water through security to avoid buying it airside.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:52 pm

Remember the Britney Spears debacle where she was allow through a TSA checkpoint with ice in a large container? The blog first stated that ice was allowed through a checkpoints:

"Ice is a solid. Therefore, ice is permitted through the checkpoint, as long as it's screened by the X-ray (Which it was)."

Then they had to retreat with this statement:

"Frozen gels/liquids are permitted if required to cool medical and infant/child exemptions. Frozen gels/liquids for any other purpose are not permitted."

This is reminiscent of the Stacey Armato incident. Obviously, the retraining agreed to by the TSA in settlement of her lawsuit against the TSA hasn't reached DFW.
Old May 7, 2014, 3:05 pm

By definition, something frozen is a solid, not a liquid. But the TSA doesn't quite understand their own rules half the time...
Old May 7, 2014, 4:04 pm

So why are they letting any metal onboard? After all, a solid metal is just a frozen metal.
Old May 7, 2014, 5:21 pm

The TSA´s official position is that ice is a solid, but chances that they will remember that at the checkpoint only seem to be significant if you are Brittney Spears (http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/11/response...gulp-over.html).

I tested the frozen liquid point and detailed my adventures here. Basically, experiences varied.

And yes, banning a whole state of matter is insane. I think a person who put up a stand with liquid nitrogen (very cold stuff - freezes just about anything) close to the checkpoint and offered a dunk for a dollar would get rich fast.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Even though the rules don't say so, I suspect TSA means that "liquids" are those that flow at normal room temperatures and pressures ("normal conditions" to an industrial hygienist; i.e., 760 torr pressure (1 atmosphere) and 293.15 degrees Kelvin (about 70 degrees F)). Chemists and physicists use 273.15 degrees K (which IS the freezing point of water). That being pedantically said, around 70 degrees F (20 degrees C) at usual pressure is what they want, IMHO.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by relangford
Even though the rules don't say so, I suspect TSA means that "liquids" are those that flow at normal room temperatures and pressures ("normal conditions" to an industrial hygienist; i.e., 760 torr pressure (1 atmosphere) and 293.15 degrees Kelvin (about 70 degrees F)). Chemists and physicists use 273.15 degrees K (which IS the freezing point of water). That being pedantically said, around 70 degrees F (20 degrees C) at usual pressure is what they want, IMHO.
Actually, no. They do not think that deep. There is a specific explosive component that looks like water, but requires almost lab grade equipment to freeze it. Even then it returns to liquid state at at around 0 deg F. They assume, probably correctly, that if it is frozen, that it can not be this material as it will only remain frozen in special, laboratory grade containers.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by alexmt
By definition, something frozen is a solid, not a liquid. But the TSA doesn't quite understand their own rules half the time...
Bolding mine: Half the time?
Old May 9, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
The TSA´s official position is that ice is a solid, but chances that they will remember that at the checkpoint only seem to be significant if you are Brittney Spears (http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/11/response...gulp-over.html).
So, ice is ok and just needs x-rayed like a suitcase, but breastmilk, even frozen, is by definition a suspicious material and needs additional screening? Okaaaaaay.
Old May 10, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
I fins it hard to fathom the rational to this.

The "reason" for banning liquids/gels is the concern than substance B mixed with substance B may create a explosive/hazardous result.

freezing the substance A + B to get through screening then thawing them to mix in theory has the same result.
Old May 10, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Actually, no. They do not think that deep. There is a specific explosive component that looks like water, but requires almost lab grade equipment to freeze it. Even then it returns to liquid state at at around 0 deg F. They assume, probably correctly, that if it is frozen, that it can not be this material as it will only remain frozen in special, laboratory grade containers.
There are numerous compounds that could pose a risk on-board an aircraft that exist in gas, liquid, and solid phases at room temperature making the liquid rules a joke.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I took a full frozen bottle of shampoo (per advice from older threads) through DFW "security" back in January just because it demonstrates how silly all this is. The bag screener was confused, but the three-striper let it through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.