Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frozen liquid is still a liquid?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:22 am

It is a wonder TSA does not ban blood given it is a liquid
and each of us carry at least 5 quarts of it through security.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Paul56
It is a wonder TSA does not ban blood given it is a liquid
and each of us carry at least 5 quarts of it through security.
Today's joke is tomorrow's reality!
Old Jun 14, 2014, 7:44 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Heck, people should be banned - the human body is 70% water. There, problem solved - no one shall be allowed to fly and TSA can go away. How simple was that?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Then they had to retreat with this statement:

"Frozen gels/liquids are permitted if required to cool medical and infant/child exemptions. Frozen gels/liquids for any other purpose are not permitted."
Frozen liquid? Nothing like high school drop-outs being led by C- students.

Just about everything has a liquid state and a solid state. The name that intelligent people use for these two states are liquid and solid. Freezing is a method of getting from one state (liquid) to another (solid). Frozen results, therefore, in the state you achieve after something has been frozen by freezing. For those in blue shirts that got lost after the first question, this is a SOLID@:-)@:-)@:-)

I'm surprised that TSA hasn't claimed the metal case around my laptop is a frozen solid. After all, the metal was a liquid and one point. Now it's frozen. It must be a frozen liquid.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by lovely15
Last week DFW TSA informed me I could not bring frozen breastmilk in quantities greater than 3 oz through security. Ignoring the fact that "reasonable quantities" of breastmilk, formula, and juice for children above 3 oz are permitted through security, I assume in liquid form, since when are frozen materials not permitted?
Frozen anything should be permitted, as the dreaded 'liquid explosives' are incredibly difficult to freeze and/or keep frozen without liquid nitrogen or similar refrigerants.

I keep DFW's public relations TSA number on my cell phone contacts, and have actually used them once or twice. They're actually pretty responsive during business hours. The number I have is 469.948.1828, although I haven't used it in a while. If you think you're going to have an issue ahead of time, they might work with you to clarify the policy ahead of time.

For this specific incident, you should either call DFW TSA and report it or else file a formal complaint. You can do it online or get a card at any DFW checkpoint. They need to 're-train' some TSOs, apparently.

Otherwise, the advice would be to keep printouts of the website and published policies quoted here, and escalate, escalate, escalate until you get to a supervisor/suit with some common sense.

Last edited by janetdoe; Jun 15, 2014 at 1:33 pm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Heck, people should be banned - the human body is 70% water. There, problem solved - no one shall be allowed to fly and TSA can go away. How simple was that?
Nonsense. The TSA has become a workfare program. Lack of passengers wouldn't stop the TSA from existing. They'd be hanging around, just in case that guy from the Fantastic Four who is made of stone shows up.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.