Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

UA: Remove Google Glass due to security concerns

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold

Here's a tech blog calling out UA for stupidity with respect to Google Glass. For those not familiar with Google Glass, they're Android powered glasses that have capabilities to take pictures, display maps, etc, on a small display near your eye. There are pics and explanation of it more in the article.

http://phandroid.com/2014/04/24/unit...lass-airplane/

Remember the girl who was given a ticket for driving with Google Glass? Ignorant observers have gotten the best of her again, this time in the world of aviation, where she got a less than pleasant greeting when boarding a United Airlines flight. The flight attendant made her remove Google Glass, citing “security concerns” as the reasoning, a misnomer from which we thought humanity had graduated.

She then proceeded to take the same picture she was planning on taking with Google Glass with her smartphone:

"I’m taking a pic with my cellphone because I’m not allowed to take it with Google Glass. It had to be United the first plane that they asked me to take Glass off because of security concerns."
More available at the link.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 29, 2014 at 12:10 am Reason: trimmed for respect to copyrights
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:00 am

Was she able to get through the TSA with wearing Google Glass?

I'd love to see someone wear these glasses into the private room for a resolution pat down and record that pat down.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Was she able to get through the TSA with wearing Google Glass?

I'd love to see someone wear these glasses into the private room for a resolution pat down and record that pat down.
I'd be curious to know that too.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Probably thought it was those glasses that you buy in the back of comic books that give you x-ray vision.

Mike
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:22 pm

What happens when the google glasses are prescription glasses?

I'm legally blind without my 'goggles' and while I don't yet have google glass - it's not inconceivable that I'll get a pair in a few years.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
How about not getting them as prescription glasses, then?

I'm legally blind without my 'goggles' and while I don't yet have google glass - it's not inconceivable that I'll get a pair in a few years.
That's cool. Watch video playback to your heart's content, but don't you think there's enough recording going on in the world without you adding to it?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program

What happens in 2 years (? estimate) when the electronics are small enough that you can't see them?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen

That's cool. Watch video playback to your heart's content, but don't you think there's enough recording going on in the world without you adding to it?
You might be misinterpreting what Google Glass is. It's not a surveillance drone, recording everything 24/7. It's a wearable, voice-activated mobile device with a camera and a display. Certainly, surreptitious recording can be done with it - just as it can be done with any camera-equipped phone made over the last 15 years, or any webcam-equipped laptop made for the last 15 years, or any tablet made for the last 6 or 7 years.

Simply put, there is no reason whatsoever to treat Google Glass different than any other mobile device with a camera and a screen. It's established tech, it's just been put into a new wearable form.

Google Glass is, frankly, a crude first attempt at enhanced vision, hyper-reality, or whatever you want to call the concept. They're bulky and clunky. But give it a few years and I'm sure that someone like Samsung or Apple will come out with sleek, stylish glasses that can be used as either prescription eyewear or sunglasses, and are indistinguishable from plain eyewear.

Tech is everywhere. Instead of admonishing people to not use it, ignore it, or supress it, I think it would be better to acknowledge that it's coming and figure out the best ways to integrate it into our daily lives.

The use of mobile devices on planes is a prime and completely relevant example. Smart phones and tablets can now be used throughout flight, and I think eventually we'll see a removal of the ban on phone calls, as well (though I dread that because of the rudeness and stupidity that seems to permeate the use of cell phones these days).
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by WillCAD

Simply put, there is no reason whatsoever to treat Google Glass different than any other mobile device with a camera and a screen.
And I won't: I avoid those other devices when I can as well. Google Glass will allow those who want to record to be able to do it more discreetly, which in my estimation is far, far worse.

Tech is everywhere. Instead of admonishing people to not use it, ignore it, or supress it, I think it would be better to acknowledge that it's coming and figure out the best ways to integrate it into our daily lives.
People's hind-ends are everywhere, too. That doesn't mean I won't admonish them for farting in my face when we're in public. Some of us value our privacy, which means some of us try to find ways to not integrate tech into our daily lives, especially that which involves recording us at any given moment.

Last edited by FredAnderssen; Apr 27, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:16 am

I wear glasses... Wearing google glasses on top of those is too much geek even for me
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's a pretty broad assumption to assume that one using Google Glass would automatically be recording stuff. Paint with broad brushes much?

Even if they are recording everything, it's pretty egocentric to assume that they would be following me and recording me. Perhaps they just want to remember every step of a journey or event. If they really want to record me, be my guest. I'm nothing special to look at. There's no expectation of privacy in public. I'm sure I've ended in as background fodder in tons of people's pictures whether on real or phone cameras.

Of course, there's the obvious exception of inappropriate peeping pictures.

Bottom line is it's not your place to tell people how they should use tech. If you don't want to use it, it's your prerogative. Similarly, if someone's using it in public, it's not your place to tell them not to use it, or assume they're recording you.

But back to the main point of the article, UA once again uses a lame excuse to stop use of something a particular FA doesn't understand. The bogus "security" excuses are getting old.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

People's hind-ends are everywhere, too. That doesn't mean I won't admonish them for farting in my face when we're in public. Some of us value our privacy, which means some of us try to find ways to not integrate tech into our daily lives, especially that which involves recording us at any given moment.
Do you assume (pun intended) that everyone who is around you is going to fart in your face, or do you just deal with it when they do?

There is no expectation of privacy when you're out in public.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Superguy
Of course, there's the obvious exception of inappropriate peeping pictures.
Peeping pics taken with Google Glass would be, umm, awkward, considering that they have to be on your face to be fully operational.

Never having seen them in person, I would assume that it's possible, if tricky, to get them to take pics while you hold them in your hand, but when you can't see the screen of a mobile device, it's pretty difficult to operate it with a touchpad controller like the one on GG.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:19 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I would assume that it's possible, if tricky, to get them to take pics while you hold them in your hand, but when you can't see the screen of a mobile device, it's pretty difficult to operate it with a touchpad controller like the one on GG.
There is a physical button as well, but that's still likely to be more obvious than taking a picture with, say, an iPhone (where the Camera app can use the volume-up button to take pictures).
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Peeping pics taken with Google Glass would be, umm, awkward, considering that they have to be on your face to be fully operational.

Never having seen them in person, I would assume that it's possible, if tricky, to get them to take pics while you hold them in your hand, but when you can't see the screen of a mobile device, it's pretty difficult to operate it with a touchpad controller like the one on GG.
Agreed on all counts. I just wanted to caveat it to mitigate a potential strawman counterpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.