Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Throw away previous civil disobedience and accept free PreCheck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Throw away previous civil disobedience and accept free PreCheck?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
If Precheck becomes the default, then Rapiscan and friends are going to object.
Not necessarily. If we accept the premise that Rapiscan et. al. are just in this for the money (not an unreasonable premise), then all they really care about is that TSA is buying the machines, not how often they are actually used. I don't see the ETD manufacturers complaining that not enough passengers are selected for its screening.

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
TSA could make PreCheck the default for everyone* tomorrow if they wanted to. They could have done it yesterday or months ago. Yet they didn't. Because, as others have hinted, it's not as simple as that. They have to collect money, or offset the "lower scrutiny" of PreCheck with background checks or web surveillance or something else nefarious.
They didn't have to perform those offsets when they quit looking for cigarette lighters or quit checking the shoes of infants and elders.

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Why do you believe that more people participating in PreCheck would affect TSA's decision - do you think they imagine that most people prefer the current standard if PreCheck enrollment is low?
It's a simple argument, really ... one that has been put forward here for years.

"Gee, millions of people went through the 'lesser screening' of PreCheck, and no planes fell from the sky. The lesser screening makes passengers happy and is cheaper. Maybe we should do more of it."
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
..."Gee, millions of people went through the 'lesser screening' of PreCheck, and no planes fell from the sky. The lesser screening makes passengers happy and is cheaper. Maybe we should do more of it."
TSA has yet to release any studies or other evidence justifying that PreCheck provides any degree of "better" security vs. pre-9/11 security plus locked cockpits. Maybe getting rid of PreCheck and going back to pre-9/11 plus locked cockpits would ALSO result in no planes falling from the sky--and airport security would be cheaper, simpler, and more equitable. (It would also be faster for all, and too many pax seem to prefer speed to the Fourth Amendment.)

But, as I said before, TSA as an organization cannot undermine its own existence. It will continue to have pax jump through hoops , it will continue to use pax as guinea pigs for security vendors' technology du jour, and it will continue to use "SSI" as a shield against any fact or study that questions TSA practices.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Schmurrr
TSA has yet to release any studies or other evidence justifying that PreCheck provides any degree of "better" security vs. pre-9/11 security plus locked cockpits.
Well, technically, TSA has yet to release any studies justifying that its current ordinary screening methods provide any degree of "better" security than anything else.

Which, actually, somewhat supports my point. Since there's no objective standard as to what constitutes "adequate" security, TSA is free to define it however it likes. Granted, there will be plenty of folks who will want a say in that, too --- Congress, the airlines, the traveling public, Justin Bieber --- but that doesn't mean that TSA's definitions of "adequate" security are fixed in stone.

Originally Posted by Schmurrr
But, as I said before, TSA as an organization cannot undermine its own existence.
There's "undermining", and there's "retasking". TSA could become an intelligence organization. I think there's plenty of money in the spy business to keep everyone at TSA happy --- and, as we've seen, much less public scrutiny of how the spy business spends its money.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Not necessarily. If we accept the premise that Rapiscan et. al. are just in this for the money (not an unreasonable premise), then all they really care about is that TSA is buying the machines, not how often they are actually used. I don't see the ETD manufacturers complaining that not enough passengers are selected for its screening.
I think it's fairly likely that if less people are screened with the machines, the TSA will buy less machines. Perhaps one machine might cover for 2 or 3 lanes, for example.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
OP here. Love the idea of taking video of the entire screening process. At 2-4x per week at my smaller airport, I imagine it may help reign in some of the more rogue TSA clerks.

I still feel like Pre should be the default for anyone in possession of a US Passport.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
There's a way to read that, though, that isn't nearly so conspiratorial.

There are statements from various TSA folks (at all levels) that suggest that TSA wants to move to PreCheck as the standard for all screening, precisely for the reasons that many of us have complained about for years here (ineffective screening, invasions of privacy, wasteful spending, etc.). If TSA is attempting to respond to silence the criticism by, you know, actually doing the right thing, then a happy consequence of such actions will be to silence the critics who offer that criticism.

On the other hand, participating in PreCheck might actually encourage the TSA to open it up to more and more people. TSA has managed to screen thousands of people a day using PreCheck without any loss of security. That might convince TSA that more people should be allowed to use PreCheck --- with the ultimate goal, of course, being that PreCheck is the default mode of screening for most passengers.

But I'm a "glass half-full" sort of person; as always, your mileage may vary.
The thing is that the background check required to get precheck doesn't guarantee anything. Only that you haven't done anything YET. As we see nearly weekly with TSA, incidents happen all the time that background checks don't predict or catch.

There's an easy way to get back to a precheck style of screening without the invasion of privacy - it's called going back to the way things used to be. Everyone gets the same type of precheck screening unless there's an alarm or a reason to screen further.

It isn't rocket science, but precheck is s scam that allows TSA to invade a person's privacy AND get money to do it. It's a win-win for TSA, lose-lose for pax.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
His stated hope -- in one place at least -- has been for 3/4 or 4/5 to get it. For a family of four traveling to Disney with one parent enrolled in a DHS pay-to-play membership program, 3/4 getting the PreCheck LLL screening as an option shouldn't be a surprise. That is where he wanted to go with this.
Kippie also "hoped" to get liquid scanning x-rays in place by 2009. We see how well that worked out.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Superguy
Kippie also "hoped" to get liquid scanning x-rays in place by 2009. We see how well that worked out.
They got some in place but they were so slow from a procedural standpoint that they basically ditched the idea of going forward for a more major purchase and went even more for the strip search machines.

The TSA is anything but a cost-effective implementation team; and given the TSA's obsession over ID and boarding pass checks and strip search machines, resources get diverted from contraband WEI interdiction and airport perimeter security to the dog and pony show for which the TSA is known in these parts.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: Lear 60, C-421, Beech A-36
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Thanks again for the excellent suggestions and feedback. I tried to swing GE, even offering to pay the $15 difference, but was shot down. I only travel internationally 1-2 times per year, versus virtually every week domestically, so not a huge loss, and the suggestion certainly made sense...

Received my KTN in about 24 hours, so I guess I am officially out of the TSA antagonism business, for the time being. With all of the run-ins I have had with TSA, including at least one where they managed to abscond with my passport for a few minutes, I thought I might be in enough databases to get my application denied. But in the end, they got their $85, and I got a 9-digit alpha-numeric code.
You travel domestically weekly and internationally 2-3 times a year and are worried about your employer paying for GE or precheck? I don't get it.

If standing in a line of 300 people helps make a dramatic point about sticking it to the man, instead of going thorough Precheck, good for you. There are other ways to fight the battle.

Mooo.

Last edited by Bonanza36; Apr 28, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.