Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA cifiscates a "grenade-shaped" perfume bottle and closes lane at PHX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA cifiscates a "grenade-shaped" perfume bottle and closes lane at PHX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:43 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
It should not take more than a minute to clear the bottle, no? TSA staff might then pleasantly suggest to the flyer that the bottle ought to be placed separately in a bin or bowl the next time the flyer brings it through a TSA checkpoint. No confrontations, no consfiscations, and no excessive delay.

How's that for outside the box?
That's my thought exactly.

I don't know why eyecue feels the need to reflexively throw up a shield over everything his employer does rather than admit, "This was absolutely and indefensibly stupid if it occurred as the OP described." The excuse that it might save time at other airports takes the cake for TSA apologetics.

I have had a few TSA screeners suggest I remove a particular item from my bags in the future "to expedite screening," a suggestion that went straight to the bit bucket FWIW given it was a one-off screener who had a problem with the item and not a common occurrence. For example, I have had one at IAD claim a carbon fiber camera tripod should be removed "because it looks like a weapon." Really? What weapon would that be, I ask? I have ignored her ever since and have never had another screener even bat an eye. Another suggested my 500mm lens should come out "because it is hard to tell what it is on x-ray." Huh; I've seen it's x-ray image, and though I would say an inexperienced screener might not recognize exactly what it is, it most assuredly looks like camera equipment.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by exerda
That's my thought exactly.

I don't know why eyecue feels the need to reflexively throw up a shield over everything his employer does rather than admit, "This was absolutely and indefensibly stupid if it occurred as the OP described." The excuse that it might save time at other airports takes the cake for TSA apologetics.

I have had a few TSA screeners suggest I remove a particular item from my bags in the future "to expedite screening," a suggestion that went straight to the bit bucket FWIW given it was a one-off screener who had a problem with the item and not a common occurrence. For example, I have had one at IAD claim a carbon fiber camera tripod should be removed "because it looks like a weapon." Really? What weapon would that be, I ask? I have ignored her ever since and have never had another screener even bat an eye. Another suggested my 500mm lens should come out "because it is hard to tell what it is on x-ray." Huh; I've seen it's x-ray image, and though I would say an inexperienced screener might not recognize exactly what it is, it most assuredly looks like camera equipment.
I've got you beat.

I had a standard little 'TSA-approved' cable lock all alone in the end compartment of a gym bag that triggered a bag search. The TSO searching the bag said the xray tech had never seen one before, then went on to remind me that such locks were for checked bags, not carry-ons, but he'd let it go just that one time.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by chollie
I've got you beat.

I had a standard little 'TSA-approved' cable lock all alone in the end compartment of a gym bag that triggered a bag search. The TSO searching the bag said the xray tech had never seen one before, then went on to remind me that such locks were for checked bags, not carry-ons, but he'd let it go just that one time.
And I can top that for stupidity.

I received a ten-inch crystal award on a marble base at a corporate meeting, and I had in my rollie bag. The TSA in SJC had three guys grab my bag and go through it to examine the award, which was inscribed with the year, "Really Excellent Guy"-type wording, my name, and our corporate logo.

The biggest one hauled me off to the side and grilled me about the "weapon" in my bag for at least three minutes before showing me the "dangerous article". I pointed out that I might use it to excessively motivate my fellow travelers to excellence in their pursuits, but otherwise it wasn't likely to be on the list of forbidden objects. After fifteen minutes of logic-free discussion, they finally allowed me to take it along with me "just this one time".

What. An. Incredible. Waste. Of. Tax. Dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.