Strange TSA comment

Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Strange TSA comment

The other day, I was going through the security line at DAL. I told the TSA guy outside the xray that I wanted to opt out. His comment? "I wouldn't say that so fast".
I wish I would have thought to say it much slower for him.
Not sure what he meant by that comment.
Did he think I would regret my decision?

Last edited by doctall41; Mar 7, 2014 at 1:38 pm Reason: wouldn't
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by doctall41
The other day, I was going through the security line at DAL. I told the TSA guy outside the xray that I wanted to opt out. His comment? "I would say that so fast".
I wish I would have thought to say it much slower for him.
Not sure what he meant by that comment.
Did he think I would regret my decision?
Was it "I would" or "I wouldn't?" If the former, sounds like he would do the same. If the latter, sounds like (he would make sure) you would regret that decision.

Mike
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
So did you actually opt of the x-ray scan?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by flyerhog
So did you actually opt of the x-ray scan?
There are no TSA X-ray scans to opt out of; AFAIK all body scanners they operate are MMW nowadays.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:05 pm

My guess is that they were randomly selecting people for the magnetometer like they do at airports where the slow machines can't keep up and he was about to select you. Once you say you opt out you're stuck getting the hand pat-down but if you wait to see you might not have needed to.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:39 am
Pup

Originally Posted by mikeef
Was it "I would" or "I wouldn't?" If the former, sounds like he would do the same. If the latter, sounds like (he would make sure) you would regret that decision.
I agree. I'd interpret "I would..." to mean "If I had to go through security, I'd opt out immediately without giving it a second thought," or in other words, he was endorsing what you were doing.

If he actually said "I wouldn't..." in a threatening or cautioning tone, totally different meaning.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by Pup
I agree. I'd interpret "I would..." to mean "If I had to go through security, I'd opt out immediately without giving it a second thought," or in other words, he was endorsing what you were doing.

If he actually said "I wouldn't..." in a threatening or cautioning tone, totally different meaning.
My mistake. He said "wouldn't.

Maybe as mentioned above, I could have been offered the WTMD if I had kept quiet, but I don't think those were in use at the time. Usually, if I see a WTMD, I walk towards it in hopes they will let me go thru.

As for the "xray" term, I don't trust any of those machines, so always opt out unless offered the WTMD.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Once, just once, at IAD, I was a little quick to opt out (my first opt out ever) "I opt out" (as taught by you guys), and the lady said, "no, you don't" and sent me through the WTMD. I felt both stupid, lucky and a little confused. But it was quick :-)

DanishFlyer
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:19 pm

About a year ago @DAL I walked up to the Body Scanner and said that I would like to opt-out to which the very frustrated TSA employee said, umm we are under staffed and have three opt-out ahead of you, then motioned me to the metal detector and said I didn't hear you request the opt-out, have a nice day.

Dan
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:28 pm

My mistake. He said "wouldn't.

Maybe as mentioned above, I could have been offered the WTMD if I had kept quiet, but I don't think those were in use at the time. Usually, if I see a WTMD, I walk towards it in hopes they will let me go thru.

As for the "xray" term, I don't trust any of those machines, so always opt out unless offered the WTMD.
Whether you "trust" it or not, it's still not an X-ray!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexmt
Whether you "trust" it or not, it's still not an X-ray!
that being said, have we stopped opting out now? maybe I missed something.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:04 am

that being said, have we stopped opting out now? maybe I missed something.
Who is this "we"? I'd rather go through a MMW scanner than be touched from head to toe.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by NextTrip
Who is this "we"? I'd rather go through a MMW scanner than be touched from head to toe.
Exactly, I didn't realise there was some "we" consensus on here. Backscatter X-ray scares the heck out of me - skin cancer risk, because the surface dose is pretty high actually in places.

Millimetre wave machines, however, don't worry me at all.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:08 am

As others have implied, I think the OP opted out too early. Once you state you want to opt out, you're stuck getting the patdown. Wait until you're actually chosen for the body scan to say it, in the off chance you get selected for the metal detector. The agent was probably well-meaning with his advice.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Batmanuel
As others have implied, I think the OP opted out too early. Once you state you want to opt out, you're stuck getting the patdown. Wait until you're actually chosen for the body scan to say it, in the off chance you get selected for the metal detector. The agent was probably well-meaning with his advice.
On the contrary, in some places if you tell them you opt out, they can "choose" to send you through the WTMD to save themselves the hassle of calling someone for a pat down. However, once they have "selected" you for the MMW, they can't change it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.