Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Travelling from Germany to Sweden without passport.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling from Germany to Sweden without passport.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by Jyotika
I love this forum !
You folks try so hard to help

Just checked the train journey.
It will take around 17 hours from stockholm to freiburg (which is fine, I am from India and am used to long train rides).
But it will cost me around 2390SEK ~ 200 euros and thats just one side.
That will be one expensive trip.
Just for your information:The trains between Denmark and Sweden frequently have id (passport, EU national ID or Scandinavian ID) controls. In the past 5 years, it has been about one in three trips with id checks for me (go a couple of times a year, so only a very small sample).

DanishFlyer
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DanishFlyer
Just for your information:The trains between Denmark and Sweden frequently have id (passport, EU national ID or Scandinavian ID) controls. In the past 5 years, it has been about one in three trips with id checks for me (go a couple of times a year, so only a very small sample).

DanishFlyer
I am on the trains between CPH and Sweden several times a month and ID checks for immigration on board of at stations at either end are extremely rare in my experience. I haven't seen that in well over a decade and we are talking about something I do several dozen times a year.

Customs checks on board have increased, but they very, very rarely ask for passports/national ID. Keep in mind that passports/national ID is not generally required by national authorities for a lot of persons doing these surface trips within the NPU countries.

The Indian government is a pain when it comes to wanting an additional ordinary passport that has some concurrent period of validity with an already existing passport issue by them. Even for stolen passports of their citizens with imminent travel, they are often a ridiculous pain.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am on the trains between CPH and Sweden several times a month and ID checks for immigration on board of at stations at either end are extremely rare in my experience. I haven't seen that in well over a decade and we are talking about something I do several dozen times a year.
I also make the trip between CPH and Sweden more than a dozen times a year and have been doing so for more years than I can count and have yet to be asked for ID.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You can split the bookings for much better fares.

Stockholm to Copenhagen: ~2-400 SEK booked in advance.

Copenhagen to Freiburg overnight: €63.50 for a seat, €79-89 for couchettes, €124-194 for a cabin.

Alternatively, Copenhagen - Hamburg - Freiburg (change at Hamburg, train goes on the ferry): from €39.50.

These are all sample fares based on random dates next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.