Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Homeland Security bans carry-on liquids on flights from US to Russia

Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

Liquid ban to Russia

"Delta Airlines, the only U.S. airline with regularly scheduled nonstop flights to Russia, posted a warning about the Transportation Security Administration policy Thursday."

And, there is more...

Check-in restrictions
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How will TSA enforce this only for flights to Russia? Gate checks? Or forbid liquids for every flight in the system just in case someone might be traveling to Russia?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
[QUOTE=MSPeconomist;22300787]How will TSA enforce this only for flights to Russia? Gate checks? Or forbid liquids for every flight in the system just in case someone might be traveling to Russia?[/QUOTE
My guess is they are going to do gate checks for every flight to Russia but it will probably have to be random? Can't imagine re screening every person...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
[QUOTE=mbwmbw;22300806]
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How will TSA enforce this only for flights to Russia? Gate checks? Or forbid liquids for every flight in the system just in case someone might be traveling to Russia?[/QUOTE
My guess is they are going to do gate checks for every flight to Russia but it will probably have to be random? Can't imagine re screening every person...
There is often gate screening for every passenger on DL flights from certain Asian airports such as PVG.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
I was in Argentina in August, 2006 when the liquid bombing plot was uncovered that eventually led to the 3-1-1 liquid restrictions. Departing EZE for ATL they absolutely did screen every pax & every carry-on item in the gatehouse. They had blocked access to the area, had several tables/agents set up and were checking all electronics as well (i.e. turn on your camera, phone, etc.). Once you were screened you couldn't leave the gatehouse without going through it all again, i.e. it wasn't like some checks that happen on the jetway during boarding.

My guess is that this new rule will play out in similar fashion as gate checks would be necessary to ensure nobody purchases anything to bring on board after the screening check point. On that flight, anyone who had purchased duty free liquids were required to return them. I had bought a couple of bottles of wine to use up some leftover currency & when I asked the agent to just throw them away he insisted I go back & return them. Though they were nice enough to hold my already-screened carry-on behind the tables so I didn't have to go through the full search again. I flew ATL-CDG 9/18/01 & don't recall that thorough a search.

As I recall the EZE check-in agents were also pretty liberal about letting pax check what they might typically carry on, because the whole situation was so new the restrictions were a moving target. IIRC at the time some carriers/routes only allowed pax to carry on a ziploc-type bag w essential documents, meds, and the like.

In other words, if the potential threats warrant screening every passenger and every carry-on item, it's likely they will...'out of an abundance of caution.'
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Delta.com
The U.S. Transportation Security Administration has directed that no liquids, gels, aerosols and powders of any size be permitted onboard flights between the United States and the Russian Federation in any passenger cabin of service. These items may be placed in customers' checked baggage.
So a binary liquid explosive that could be successfully detonated onboard a commercial aircraft is somehow neutralized when it's placed down below?

Oh wait, there is no such thing as a binary liquid explosive that can be successfully used onboard a commercial aircraft.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
When I left SVO on January 9, 2014, I was told by the first DL agent one meets at check-in that I could not have any kind of liquid in my rollaboard. I think this was in effect already for several weeks and was to continue some weeks after the Olympics in Sochi.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
When I left SVO on January 9, 2014, I was told by the first DL agent one meets at check-in that I could not have any kind of liquid in my rollaboard
Russia introduced these restrictions about one month ago. Now the US seems to follow suit, but only for flights to Russia. Hope it stays this way and doesn't spread out across the world, like the original war against drinking water did.

Congrats to the terrorists
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Silly stuff. Like there are not other options for "concealing" a few ounces of just about anything. But, we will continue to do this, because......are you ready....

Better Safe Than Sorry.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Silly stuff. Like there are not other options for &quot;concealing&quot; a few ounces of just about anything. But, we will continue to do this, because......are you ready....

Better Safe Than Sorry.
Exactly. Are they going to do body imaging on everyone to make sure that once through security they aren't taping the items to their bodies?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
[QUOTE=mbwmbw;22300806]
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How will TSA enforce this only for flights to Russia? Gate checks? Or forbid liquids for every flight in the system just in case someone might be traveling to Russia?[/QUOTE
In the ATL E concourse there's a walled off gate with a security screening checkpoint (metal detectors and xrays IIRC). It's used for flights to Israel from what I understand. If that's a standard restriction on Israel-bound flights, I'm sure they can use the same gates for Russia-bound flights.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Funny TSA. So hypothetical anti-Russian terrorist with a hypothetical toothpaste bomb in the US is going to skip hitting US targets? Even Putin's Russia warned the US about one of the accused Boston bombers (i.e., the deceased one).
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
So a binary liquid explosive that could be successfully detonated onboard a commercial aircraft is somehow neutralized when it's placed down below?

Oh wait, there is no such thing as a binary liquid explosive that can be successfully used onboard a commercial aircraft.
Ummm. An airplane has been brought down with an explosive disguised as toothpaste before. And there is, per, you know, the experts, a credible threat. And, you know, the expert on CNN today gave a nice demonstration of an explosive that looks, tastes, and smells like toothpaste.

But, hey, the peanut gallery on FT knows best and God knows the inconvenience of not being able to bring toothpaste on board is pretty much the end of the world. I mean, the horror.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:05 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Ummm. An airplane has been brought down with an explosive disguised as toothpaste before. And there is, per, you know, the experts, a credible threat. And, you know, the expert on CNN today gave a nice demonstration of an explosive that looks, tastes, and smells like toothpaste.
What is this explosive, please? And if such an explosive exists, it's detectable with ETP/ETD. There is no need for a blanket restriction on toothpaste.

But, hey, the peanut gallery on FT knows best and God knows the inconvenience of not being able to bring toothpaste on board is pretty much the end of the world. I mean, the horror.
Stupid security with no scientific basis has no place anywhere.

You want to discuss chemical explosives? Meet me in TS&S and we can discuss anything you like. You can get as technical as you want, no problem. I'd be really pleased to meet *anyone* who can provide credible scientific evidence of the necessity for this stupid, unnecessary restriction.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Which explosive that "looks, tastes, and smells like toothpaste" is it that brought down a plane, and which flight was brought down by "toothpaste" explosive? Did the "expert" on CNN taste the explosive?

ETD/ETPs are able to be used to detect and help interdict contraband explosives in a way that a ridiculous TSA toothpaste ban cannot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.