Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Sometimes, TSA is not as evil it seems to us.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sometimes, TSA is not as evil it seems to us.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Spiff
Many of us have been posting about removing TSA since its unfortunate inception. There was no valid reason to replace the security screening companies that had been working on 9/11 with the disgusting, un-American piece of crap agency known as TSA.

Look around this forum. There's 13+ years' worth of real alternatives to the TSA mistake.

Screening practices should be completely up to the airlines and the government should have zero say in the matter. The airlines have a vested interest in their planes not blowing up and will take appropriate measures.
Airlines bottom line is profit! Sooner or later that objective will cause a lapse in screening that will be bad.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by eyecue
How does a metal detector detect an IED?
How many IED's don't have metal components?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
TSA was not created to catch terrorists! It was created to prevent another event like September 11th. So far we have 100% success rate.
S does my pet rock.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:11 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Airlines bottom line is profit! Sooner or later that objective will cause a lapse in screening that will be bad.
Rubbish. I'll bet my life on it.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:13 am

And having an aircraft hijacked due to poor screening is also bad for one's profit margin --- so much so that airlines will have strong incentive to have adequate security.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Cue "See, it's working already!" joke from Cracker Jack box, ca. 1977

TSA was not created to catch terrorists! It was created to prevent another event like September 11th. So far we have 100% success rate.
Tom: What are you doing?
Bill: Flapping my arms to keep the alligators away.
Tom: But there are no alligators around here.
Bill: See, it's working already!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:33 am

Please name one event like September 11th that has been attempted since then which TSA has prevented.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
That's a lie.

Your agency has not prevented a single terrorist incident. It has not caught a single terrorist. It has not even assisted in achieving one of those goals.

Your agency has a 0% success rate. It has not done the thing it was designed to to do and is given $8 billion a year to do, even once, even partially, even a tiny little bit, ever.

How does a metal detector detect an IED?
Obviously, a metal detector can't detect IEDs unless they have metalic components. But it's not the metal detector's job to detect IEDs, never has been and never will be.

The metal detector's purpose, from the first day it was deployed back in the 70s, is to detect metalic weapons, which could be used to hijack a plane or create a mass casualty among the passengers. Hijacking is almost extinct, thanks to 9/11, because 9/11 caused flight deck doors to be reinforced and has frightened pax and pilots into never again cooperating with hijackers for fear of a kamikaze run. However, mass casualty incidents - mass shootings or slashings - are still a possibility among the passengers, and while these incidents don't post a threat to the aircraft itself, I am in favor of continuing to use the WTMD and HHMD to screen for firearms and large edged weapons.

Detecting IEDs can only be done with techniques or technology that detects the one indispensible part of such a device, the explosives themselves. Either sniffer dogs or chemical detectors work, up to a point. Of course the carry-on x-ray can also be of assistance since, it will show some explosives like C4 as a solid mass that must be investigated further.

But, hey, nice straw man you threw up there. Kudos!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What a crock of BS. Gate security was not the reason the 9/11 attacks happened. Changes in airline policy regarding resisting hijackings and hardened cockpit doors have prevented other 9/11-style events, not your joke of an agency.

Just because you repeat a lie over and over again doesn't make it true.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: QFF
Airport security on September 11 2001 did not allow the event to occur. As TSA is less effective then screening methods prior to 9/11, the chances of another 9/11 style event happening is higher now then it was before.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by WillCAD
However, mass casualty incidents - mass shootings or slashings - are still a possibility among the passengers, and while these incidents don't post a threat to the aircraft itself, I am in favor of continuing to use the WTMD and HHMD to screen for firearms and large edged weapons
Not to mention that the chances of such a mass shooting happening have vastly increased because of the TSA.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Himeno
Airport security on September 11 2001 did not allow the event to occur. As TSA is less effective then screening methods prior to 9/11, the chances of another 9/11 style event happening is higher now then it was before.
Hogwash. A 9/11 style attack is prevented by two things: 1) Locked and reinforced flight deck doors, 2) Passengers and crew will never again cooperate with a hijacker for fear of a kamikaze run.

And The Bad Guys know it, which is why they moved on to the next threat vector, passenger-detonated explosives. And that failed miserably - twice - so they moved on to the next threat vector, explosives in cargo. Which failed, but barely, so it may happen again before they move on to the next threat vector.

Originally Posted by Himeno
Not to mention that the chances of such a mass shooting happening have vastly increased because of the TSA.
I think that's a wild exaggeration. If TSA had radically increased the chances of a mass shooting aboard an aircraft, why hasn't there been even one attempt at it during TSA's entire 12 years of existence?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:42 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Longer lines are a perfect soft target for a bomber or shooter.

So are the crowds that come into being when TSA performs one of their stupid, unnecessary terminal dumps.

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 12, 2014 at 12:03 pm Reason: reference to deleted post
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
I honestly don't see how TSA is correlated with higher incidences of mass shooting. With or without the TSA, people still have to queue for security checks no?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Every time I read the name of this thread I think, "Sometimes, TSA is not as evil it seems to us. Sometimes it's wrse."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.