Wiki Posts
Search

Get Ready to Give Up Your Toothpaste

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Russia further restricted LAGs in carry-ons last month, due to domestic source and European and Asian source concerns.

Given the resources and training made available to anti-Russian terrorists in Russia, a "toothpaste" bomb smuggled from the US to Russia would seem to be a diversion of resources by such extremists.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually, DL flew JFK-SVO, Transaero has flies MIA/JFK-DME, and SU has also flies LAX/JFK/IAD/MIA-SVO.
And UA has been flying EWR-AER as of late, as well as the occasional IAD-AER and SFO-AER.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
And UA has been flying EWR-AER as of late, as well as the occasional IAD-AER and SFO-AER.
But those aren't regular, commercially-scheduled passenger flights that we can buy tickets for on say Orbitz?

SQ flies from the US to Russia.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
The main reason this is stupid is why would a terrorist smuggle explosives from the US in a toothpaste tube? It seems like most of the problem with terrorism in Russia is from people in Russia and former Soviet republics. Given the choice between just acquiring explosives in Russia and smuggling them in from the US (disguised as toothpaste no less) it seems like there is one choice that is obviously easier than the others.

Unless, of course, the terrorists are trying to outsmart us by assuming that we would assume that they would take the easier route and then capitalize on that weakness
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by WillCAD
But even if they confiscate your toothpaste at the c/p, how will they prevent you from buying a bottle of water at Hudson News and carrying it aboard with you?
Why would they need to keep you from buying a bottle of water at Hudson News? It's WATER (unless they're willing to admit that they don't actually screen the products sold beyond the checkpoint).
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:01 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by GUWonder

SQ flies from the US to Russia.
Yes, they fly Houston IAH-Moscow DME then onto Singapore (as Xyzzy also mentioned).

Reports came out earlier that they had TSA checking everything at the gate this week in Houston but I have not confirmed it yet.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Why would they need to keep you from buying a bottle of water at Hudson News? It's WATER (unless they're willing to admit that they don't actually screen the products sold beyond the checkpoint).
You mean besides sending the boxes thru the exact same process our carryons go thru? No-nothing different which why I love it when I get stuck behind a vendor trying to bring cases of beer & wine thru the checkpoint-hopefully there is a Kettle also watching & maybe even learning something.

Back to the topic of toothpaste-from CNN. Of course, the tubes being used are ones that, officially, are banned from carryon luggage anyway, but why let details get in the way.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...mb.cnn-ap.html
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Not anymore. UA is no longer flew to Russia, but they tried. It didn't work out well.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by txrus

Back to the topic of toothpaste-from CNN. Of course, the tubes being used are ones that, officially, are banned from carryon luggage anyway, but why let details get in the way.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...mb.cnn-ap.html
RDX + "another ingredient". What is this "other ingredient"??

The Ionscan Sentinel II detects RDX. This latest increased harassment of airline passengers is once again stupid and unnecessary. It's time to terminate the TSA.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Well, I'm just going by the news items that say that ALL liquids are now banned from carryons to flights heading for Russia. Since it didn't say ALL liquids are banned from ALL international flights, nor did it say that ALL liquids are banned except what's bought airside, I'm presuming that it means that ALL liquids are banned ONLY from flights heading for Russia. ALL, including those bought airside.

But I'm just guessing, based on the news reports. We'll have to wait till a FTer tries to board a flight to Russia and see what they report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
On a lighter note, I noticed that someone actually did try to hijack a flight and divert it to Sochi:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ijack/5282069/

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/report...ry?id=22413475

My reaction was, "Oh, I guess there was some sort of a credible threat after al - oh, wait, it says the guy was drunk. Okay, I guess it was just a Ukranian Peter Griffin trying to get to the Games."

"Yeah, yeah, TAKE THISH PLANE TO TH' 'LYMPICS! I WANNO GO T' TH' 'LYMPICS! F'You don' take me to th' Lympics right now, I'll BLOW UP THE PLANE! I got <urp> bomb in my pannss..."
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Well, I'm just going by the news items that say that ALL liquids are now banned from carryons to flights heading for Russia. Since it didn't say ALL liquids are banned from ALL international flights, nor did it say that ALL liquids are banned except what's bought airside, I'm presuming that it means that ALL liquids are banned ONLY from flights heading for Russia. ALL, including those bought airside.

But I'm just guessing, based on the news reports. We'll have to wait till a FTer tries to board a flight to Russia and see what they report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
On a lighter note, I noticed that someone actually did try to hijack a flight and divert it to Sochi:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ijack/5282069/

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/report...ry?id=22413475

My reaction was, "Oh, I guess there was some sort of a credible threat after al - oh, wait, it says the guy was drunk. Okay, I guess it was just a Ukranian Peter Griffin trying to get to the Games."

"Yeah, yeah, TAKE THISH PLANE TO TH' 'LYMPICS! I WANNO GO T' TH' 'LYMPICS! F'You don' take me to th' Lympics right now, I'll BLOW UP THE PLANE! I got <urp> bomb in my pannss..."
Ukraine is currently politically radicalized between pro-Russian and anti-Russian elements and drunkenness is no restraint on expressions of such sentiments.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff
RDX + "another ingredient". What is this "other ingredient"??

The Ionscan Sentinel II detects RDX. This latest increased harassment of airline passengers is once again stupid and unnecessary. It's time to terminate the TSA.
Sign the petition!!! End the TSA now!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/374/506/028/end-the-tsa/

http://www.senatenj.com/index.php/do...screening/7149

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/end-the-tsa-now/

It's time to end the TSA now!!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:29 pm

If you wanted to smuggle explosives into Russia, wouldn't you have done it months ago? I mean, the Olympics have been scheduled in Sochi for years. Why wait until just before the games to implement such a vital part of your terror plan?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by N830MH
Not anymore. UA is no longer flew to Russia, but they tried. It didn't work out well.
They are flying now a few flights for the Olympics. See, for example, http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...220Z/KEWR/URSS

Even thought these may not be regular scheduled flights available to the general public, surely they are part of the toothpaste-free zone imposed on flights to Russia.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
If you wanted to smuggle explosives into Russia, wouldn't you have done it months ago? I mean, the Olympics have been scheduled in Sochi for years. Why wait until just before the games to implement such a vital part of your terror plan?
It's theater. We're banning toothpaste, that must mean we are taking an active role to make the games safe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.