Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Big wrong turn for man carrying gun in car may lead to 3-year jail term in Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big wrong turn for man carrying gun in car may lead to 3-year jail term in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
But is his comment about being an American typical? I'm also a handgun owner and have been a permit-to-carry holder in MN, and would never think of saying that the reason I have a handgun is because I have the right to have one as an American.

If someone asks me why I'm giving a speech in the park, I don't say that it's my First Amendment right as an American; I say that I want to talk about corruption at City Hall, or the like.

If someone asks me why I go to church on Sunday, I don't say that in America I have freedom of religion. I say that I love Jesus, Allah, or whoever.

When I have been asked why I own handguns in the past and why I had a permit to carry, I answered that I liked shooting at the range and developing my accuracy. Also, as a business owner carrying large amounts of cash, it behooved me to keep a firearm with me at all times. But I wouldn't say that it was my right as an American to do so.

It just smacks so much of ugly 'merican when someone puts it the way he did, unnecessary and obvious. It could have been worse, though; he could have said that he kept a handgun because he shouldn't fear the government, the government should fear him™.
His reply makes more sense when you realize that he is:

a former Army legal expert and paralegal in his home state.
When I first read this, I thought that perhaps this is an example of why some education should be mandatory before getting a firearm license. The consequences for taking a firearm into the wrong jurisdiction in a zero tolerance society can be very severe.

The article is sketchy on details, but it appears that the border officials are free to exercise discretion. Perhaps he's a victim of over-bearing attitude as much as being found with a firearm in his possession.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by chollie
His reply makes more sense when you realize that he is:

a former Army legal expert and paralegal in his home state
Perhaps, and after reading your post, it occurred to me that as a military person (which I am not), he may feel a greater affinity to the constitutional aspect of carrying a firearm.

Perhaps he's a victim of over-bearing attitude as much as being found with a firearm in his possession.
Agreed. In my first post, I indicated that it was hard to believe that he was a gun smuggler, as the border patrol agents argued, and I suggested he should be fined for his stupidity and sent home.

Last edited by FredAnderssen; Feb 11, 2014 at 7:22 am
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:40 pm

The more I read, the more I wonder about this guy.

He has a dentist appointment before the trip and doesn't want the gun in his car when he goes to the dentist, so he puts it in his wife's car, not back in the house.

He forgets the gun is in his wife's car and several days later, off they go on their road trip. (?) He's that casual with where his gun is? They make a mistakenly end up at the border. They explain their mistake and ask to make a u-turn.

CBP refuses to allow a u-turn. Then CBP asks him about guns. (?) His answers trigger a search, the loaded gun is found.

What I didn't realize: apparently he could have declared the gun, filled out some paperwork, paid $25 and taken the gun across the border legally.

Something just doesn't make sense about this whole scenario. He doesn't want the gun in his car for a trip to the dentist, so he leaves it in his wife's car and forgets it is there for days? The faulty GPS? I don't know the geography, but if they were on their way from Kentucky to Vermont, is it that easy to end up in New York crossing into Canada?

If he's telling the truth, IMHO, this guy is too careless and forgetful to be entrusted with a firearm.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
What I didn't realize: apparently he could have declared the gun, filled out some paperwork, paid $25 and taken the gun across the border legally.
That system works for long guns but handguns are more complicated and require paperwork in advance. However, the handgun he had due to its short barrel is deemed a prohibited weapon in Canada and it could not be imported in any event.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
That system works for long guns but handguns are more complicated and require paperwork in advance. However, the handgun he had due to its short barrel is deemed a prohibited weapon in Canada and it could not be imported in any event.
Thanks. The incorrect information I posted is the result of shoddy reporting, apparently.

I stand by the rest of my post - I think the guy's story sounds a bit off.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Thanks. The incorrect information I posted is the result of shoddy reporting, apparently.

I stand by the rest of my post - I think the guy's story sounds a bit off.
I agree his story is way off. What we are hearing in the various news reports is his version of the events. The CBSA doesn't comment on individual cases until they come to trial. But this guy wouldn't be the first American to try and smuggle a gun past the Canadian border and claim he "forgot" he had it when discovered. If he had declared it he'd have just been turned around and sent home.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I agree his story is way off. What we are hearing in the various news reports is his version of the events. The CBSA doesn't comment on individual cases until they come to trial. But this guy wouldn't be the first American to try and smuggle a gun past the Canadian border and claim he "forgot" he had it when discovered. If he had declared it he'd have just been turned around and sent home.
Then he would have faced charges in New York State if discovered. It's a bad situation for him any way it plays out. Still highly irresponsible though... and gives the rest of us a bad name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.