Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

NSA and "five/six eyes" partners spy on airport passengers using wifi network

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25977620

Not a surprise. And I'd recommend being surprised if you think they limit it to just passengers at airports in one or just some of the following: US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand and Sweden.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:16 pm

The only thing that would surprise me, related to US spying, would be the US doing anything reasonable and cost-effective. That many parts of the US government are growing obese, wasting unbelievable amounts of money, and trampling on liberty as a matter of routine should not be a surprise to anyone.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:47 pm

At this point, you have to assume that if it is possible, or even that it will be possible in 10 years, that they are currently doing it, whether illegal or not.

The US is broke and can't borrow/print money fast enough. We have politicians who claim they can't find ways to cut spending, so instead, they raise spending. Meanwhile, nearly every government agency has a goal of spending 100% of their budget so they can request more next year. Finally we have agencies who can't spend enough money and consider the Constitution as debt settlement, taking more and more of it and burning it for fuel.

What's the problem again?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25977620

Not a surprise. And I'd recommend being surprised if you think they limit it to just passengers at airports in one or just some of the following: US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand and Sweden.
Yes, it is not a surprise. I commented on it in an NOS opt-out post a few months ago.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Sadly, the notion that if you can dream it up they're probably doing it used to be paranoia. More and more it's becoming due caution.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thankfully technology can put us on even ground with these NSA fools. While you can't stop the government from searching something they have physical possession of, there are software and hardware counter-measures (and probably more coming to market) that can enable you to block or obfuscate their snooping of your packets, phones, etc.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Thankfully technology can put us on even ground with these NSA fools. While you can't stop the government from searching something they have physical possession of, there are software and hardware counter-measures (and probably more coming to market) that can enable you to block or obfuscate their snooping of your packets, phones, etc.
That sort of assumes the hardware and/or software wasn't already compromised unbeknownst to the user of the equipment prior to even acquisition of the hardware/software.

As I've said for years, when we are pointing the finger of accusation at China about its spying capabilities on consumers of technology goods, the concerns about China are largely built upon knowledge of the capabilities of the US (and our "partners") that have already hit the field.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.