'Dear America, I Saw You Naked'

Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Jason hit a nerve, didn't he?
And LuAnn Canipe didn't have the courage to reference the article that precipitated the TSA's defensive posture.

~~

Note that no comments have been posted yet. I would imagine the "blog team" is being overwhelmed with negativity and doesn't know where to begin in putting comments up.

Last edited by petaluma1; Feb 1, 2014 at 9:33 am
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Unfortunately, none of this stuff is really news to those of us who have been on FT for a while.

But I look forward to his book. I'll probably buy it and try to loan it to my friends who are not interested in aviation security because they don't fly.

But I'd really love to see a copy of this book given gratis to every senator and representative in the US Congress.
+1. Nothing new for frequent flyers, but good to get the information out there.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:02 pm

Meh...old news. The article starts out "On Jan. 4, 2010...".
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:21 pm

The media attention on the TSA makes it a great time to share your opinion on this issue with your representatives and the representative who serve on the transportation committees.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:13 pm

Note that no comments have been posted yet. I would imagine the "blog team" is being overwhelmed with negativity and doesn't know where to begin in putting comments up.
I don't think so. It's quite common for the blog staff to not approve any comments over the weekend --- as has been commented on many times here.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:30 pm

And LuAnn Canipe didn't have the courage to reference the article that precipitated the TSA's defensive posture.

~~

I submitted a comment, and it was negative.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by stablemate77
im not worried about body scanner as it keeps people not from america to blow them self up.....its ok too see all one body at a time like this...as its needed...feel save when going on plane.....vary happy to be an american that not put up with people that want to do harm.....smile)
It may amaze you to learn that it isn't just people "not from America" who are or support terrorists.

I love your country, but I haven't forgotten the huge amount of funding the IRA received from the US to sustain one of the most protracted and bloody terrorist campaigns in the Western world. And the list of American citizens who are terrorists isn't short either.

The reality is that nationality is NOT a determinant of who is, or supports, a terrorist

Just saying...
Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:58 pm

One of the reports covering Mr. Harrington's article includes a video that contains, IMO, an interesting shot. At 1:09 in this video, you can see this:

I think it is interesting because it confirms that TSA employees have to click on a blue or pink button (= male or female NOS victim) to enable the ATR. That is ridiculous! Why the hell should gender matter if TSA is supposed to be screening for WEI? Why the hell is TSA using a technology that needs to be TOLD to ignore* the bulge that is a penis or a breast? How in the world does such a technology account for wide-ranging diversity in human shapes, sizes, and postures? IMO, the blue and pink buttons serve only to demonstrate that TSA's visual approach to screening pax is completely wrong.

*Unless it is an unusually shaped or sized penis or breast, of course
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by stablemate77
im not worried about body scanner as it keeps people not from america to blow them self up.....its ok too see all one body at a time like this...as its needed...feel save when going on plane.....vary happy to be an american that not put up with people that want to do harm.....smile)
Yes, feeling save (safe) is all the TSA's Security Theatre is about.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
I think it is interesting because it confirms that TSA employees have to click on a blue or pink button (= male or female NOS victim) to enable the ATR. That is ridiculous! Why the hell should gender matter if TSA is supposed to be screening for WEI? Why the hell is TSA using a technology that needs to be TOLD to ignore* the bulge that is a penis or a breast?
It also ignores the fact that gender is not binary.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:30 pm

...Why the hell should gender matter if TSA is supposed to be screening for WEI?...
What is WEI?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:45 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by NextTrip
What is WEI?
Weapons Explosives Incendiary devices
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:47 am

Why the hell should gender matter if TSA is supposed to be screening for WEI?
The AIT compares the passenger's image to a "standard" and then looks for anomalies. The gender buttons tell the machine which standard to look at. This is necessary because the machine isn't actually detecting anything, only differences from the standard. The machine already false alarms. If it saw a penis and boobs on the same person, it might start smoking.

Even with different male/female standards, the AIT false alarms nearly every time it's used. Having a single standard would make this much worse.

Why the hell is TSA using a technology that needs to be TOLD to ignore the bulge that is a penis or a breast?
IMO, the scanner is used for two reasons:

1) To build an empire, spend money, enrich cronies, and
2) To add further the depth of script to their Kabuki Theatre.

Notice the absence of "improved security" from the list.

How in the world does such a technology account for wide-ranging diversity in human shapes, sizes, and postures?
It doesn't. These anomalies are resolved by US Government clerks rubbing people's private parts*. Also, see note about false alarms above.

* - for no other reason than the TSA's CHOICE to used flawed technology.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:58 pm

I like arguments like this.

What everyone seems to ignore is WHY a 'terrorist' wants to attack the USA or the UK or any other empire.

Federal policy of being racist arse0's for decades is the real reason. Your country isn't as great as you may believe. And you certainly are not free. There are many better countries, with healthier, more wealthy and more happy citizens. These countries are often ignored by terrorists, odd? The reality of America or the UK, does not match up to the media controlled image of two insolvent governments with oppressed and controlled people.

But that's not the point is it.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
...What everyone seems to ignore is WHY a 'terrorist' wants to attack the USA or the UK or any other empire.
No, not everybody is ignoring that. Most elected officials seem to ignore it, though.

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
Your country isn't as great as you may believe. And you certainly are not free.
I'm well aware that the U.S. has serious flaws, one of which is the willingness of so many to tolerate (and even excuse) evaporating freedoms.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.