Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP ID Checks of Passengers Arriving on Domestic Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP ID Checks of Passengers Arriving on Domestic Flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mauve
If that were true, why did they bother screening people who were obviously not race/gender matches?
Incompetence? No information of the race/gender of the suspect? Gender neutral name?

And why do all of the reports say that they asked for "documents" or "papers" rather than ID?
The first three news stories all said passengers were asked for identification, not proof of citizenship:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.dfea6aba89e7

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...-arrival-gate/

http://gothamist.com/2017/02/23/jfk_..._id_checks.php

Originally Posted by teddybear99
I was hearing of multiple searches like this at MIA on Friday morning on different airlines' domestic arrivals. Many people mentioned this to our CSR's as they waited for their shuttles, especially to the cruise ports and a few barely made their cut-off to board the cruise ships.
I haven't found any news stories of any further such searches on domestic flights.

Perhaps you were hearing of international arrivals and delays through immigration/customs?

Quick question: Isn't the reason State issued ID's/DL's now require proof of citizenship before being issued and if you are a foreigner on a visa, the ID/DL expires on, or shortly before the visa expires?
Some states issue Real IDs and some don't. Some states require proof citizenship and others don't (e.g., California).

A state drivers license/ID card is not presently a reliable indicator of U.S. citizenship.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Suspect: Human of unknown gender. Human of unknown race. Physical descrption - None.

That doesn't sound much like suspect to me.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by catocony
Suspect: Human of unknown gender. Human of unknown race. Physical descrption - None.

That doesn't sound much like suspect to me.
1. That's hilarious.

2. CBP is now saying to Rolling Stone it was simply asking for "consensual assistance" (new euphemism alert), not compelling people to show IDs.

"To assist ICE, CBP requested consensual assistance from passengers aboard the flight to determine whether the removable individual in question was in fact aboard the flight. In the course of seeking this assistance, CBP did not compel any of these domestic passengers to show identification. With much-appreciated cooperation from these passengers, CBP was able to resolve the issue with minimal delay to the traveling public."

Last edited by RaginPlainsman; Feb 25, 2017 at 3:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I haven't found any news stories of any further such searches on domestic flights.
I hope it stays that way, so we can know this was what CBP says it was.

There are people on other forums reporting CBP checks boarding flights in Texas and from TYS to MSP, including asking a US citizen about her social media usage.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I hope it stays that way, so we can know this was what CBP says it was.

There are people on other forums reporting CBP checks boarding flights in Texas and from TYS to MSP, including asking a US citizen about her social media usage.
CBP is permitted to conduct immigration status checks within 100-miles of the U.S. border, but cannot demand identification, conduct a search, or force you to speak to them. To do such things, the officers would have to establish a reasonable suspicion that the person is unlawfully in the United States.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CBP is permitted to conduct immigration status checks within 100-miles of the U.S. border, but cannot demand identification, conduct a search, or force you to speak to them. To do such things, the officers would have to establish a reasonable suspicion that the person is unlawfully in the United States.
Do a quick search on the Worldwide Web using something like "suspicionless checkpoint" and you will see a completely different reality, especially on YouTube.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:56 pm

If that were true, why did they bother screening people who were obviously not race/gender matches?
"Passengers reported that CBP only checked the IDs of Middle-Eastern males exiting the plane."

The ensuing media @#$!-storm that would result is left as an exercise for the reader.

(Obligatory disclaimer: I have no idea what race/gender CBP was looking for.)
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:04 pm

It certainly sounds as if the African American woman described in post 6 of my second link was detained, and I would infer that her phone was searched. You and CBP would probably say it was voluntary, but what would happen to someone who tried to decline.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Did you mean to write:

CBP is permitted to conduct immigration status checks within 100-miles of the U.S. border, but cannot demand identification, conduct a search, or force you to speak to them more than 100 miles from the border.
How can they conduct an immigration status check without demanding identification, including demanding that the person being investigated answer questions such as "Are you a US citizen?" or "What is your immigration status"?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by battensea
But if you refuse to answer or allow them to search your belongings, what is to keep them from holding you in the back room for several hours?
Do you expect them to ... do what? Use physical force? Conduct an arrest?

I personally, would have probably told them to go ----- themselves, respectfully.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:55 am

They can ask. They cannot demand anything. They cannot force anyone to speak with them. A reasonable reply is "Am I free to leave?" if anything, and nothing more. If the answer is no, you're under arrest; demand access to an attorney.

Certainly while these bozos have actually deported a few thousand hapless US citizens-- most of those incidents resulted in large settlements-- they would find playing games with most readers of this forum, would lead to much higher penalties.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'n unaware of CBP deporting a few thousand hapless US citizens. I heard something about them deporting a small child who was a US citizen to keep her with or return her to her family.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'n unaware of CBP deporting a few thousand hapless US citizens. I heard something about them deporting a small child who was a US citizen to keep her with or return her to her family.
I therefore presume you're not an immigration attorney
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm not.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jphripjah
US citizens have been deported or otherwise turned around from the US. Often it's due to a lack of CBP doing enough work to realize that the person is a US citizen.

It's hard to know the number of such US citizens removed/denied by the US at US ports of entry, but it's to be expected to be way more than just a few dozen. Welcome to a potential consequence of being "non-white" and not having US documentation about citizenship and/or identity on hand, for those to whom it may be applicable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.