Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

"We can trust them because they've been vetted"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

...or not.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...d-checks.shtml

When we last checked in on USIS, the contracting firm which large parts of the federal government and the intelligence community used to conduct background checks on employees (including Ed Snowden), we noted that it had been caught falsifying reports and claiming to have interviewed dead people. At the time, we noted at least one USIS employee had been accused of submitting 1,600 falsified credit reports. But, apparently, the story goes much, much deeper. The DOJ is now accusing USIS of faking background checks on 665,000 federal employees.
I wonder how many of those are TSA employees.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Wow.

Even if we discount the numbers by 90%, that's still pretty shocking.

I would guess that most TSO background checks are held to a much lower standard than those folks directly working in intel (Snowden) are required to undergo, perhaps because the government doesn't really believe a serious threat to aviation security will be caught at the checkpoint anyway.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
perhaps because the government doesn't really believe a serious threat to aviation security will be caught at the checkpoint anyway.
The primary threats to "aviation security" are already at the checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.